SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps it did not save my life but my beautiful S90 valiantly gave its life to avoid any injury to me at all.

I turned left in rush hour traffic and came to a complete stop behind 3 cars while the front most tried to maneuver into a gas station through the tiny driveway through which a person was trying to navigate out of. While the 2 squeezed by each other, 2 cars cued up behind, one was me. A Chevy Trailblazer managed to beat a yellow light and rushed around the left turn, somehow did not see a wall of traffic and hit me straight on from behind without even applying the brakes. It pushed me about 10 feet forward and I hit the Ford Explorer in front of me. Luckily the Explorer had a huge tow hitch that absorbed all of the damage while punching through my grill. The cops came and I was at no fault but, alas, the S90 was un-savable. I drove my beloved Volvo home, proud of the hit it took in my place. I was completely unharmed, no back pain, no bruises, no bumps, no headache, and no whiplash. Thank you Volvo.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Darn SUV drivers! My rare Casis(sp) Purple C70 was rear ended and totaled by a 5300LB Lexus LX470 (Toyota Landcruiser rebadge), I walked away with a mild case of whip lash -not bad enough to get a neck brace The young punk that hit me was doing about 30MPH when he plowed into me and push me into a Honda Civic, both the Honda Civic and my C70 had to be towed. I only had the C70 9 months and had flown to NJ to buy it and drove it back to Atlanta, it was a 1 owner until I bought it with dealer maintenance records for most of its life. I was pissed! The kid that hit me laughed after causing the accident like it was funny looking at the twisted metal.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Darn SUV drivers! My rare Casis(sp) Purple C70 was rear ended and totaled by a 5300LB Lexus LX470 (Toyota Landcruiser rebadge), I walked away with a mild case of whip lash -not bad enough to get a neck brace The young punk that hit me was doing about 30MPH when he plowed into me and push me into a Honda Civic, both the Honda Civic and my C70 had to be towed. I only had the C70 9 months and had flown to NJ to buy it and drove it back to Atlanta, it was a 1 owner until I bought it with dealer maintenance records for most of its life. I was pissed! The kid that hit me laughed after causing the accident like it was funny looking at the twisted metal.
Jerk!!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
He didn't care. Worst case, his parents (and insurance company) would buy him a new one.

·
Registered
781 Posts
He didn't care. Worst case, his parents (and insurance company) would buy him a new one.
The punk (young college student) who rear ended my C70 was able to drive the Lexus LX470 away though he definitely had front end damage and the hood was slightly bent. His mom showed up within 15 minutes of the accident driving a Toyota 4Runner SUV and immediately blamed me for causing the accident saying that "I stopped too short" even though her kid already admitted to causing it (I recorded him saying so) and began to lecture me probably thinking I was younger then I am . I lectured her back (she seem shocked) and stated that I knew where the kid got his attitude from. The kid had been swerving from lane to lane in the wet behind me, I could see him approaching in my rear view mirror before rear ending me.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The punk (young college student) who rear ended my C70 was able to drive the Lexus LX470 away though he definitely had front end damage and the hood was slightly bent. His mom showed up within 15 minutes of the accident driving a Toyota 4Runner SUV and immediately blamed me for causing the accident saying that "I stopped too short" even though her kid already admitted to causing it (I recorded him saying so) and began to lecture me probably thinking I was younger then I am . I lectured her back (she seem shocked) and stated that I knew where the kid got his attitude from. The kid had been swerving from lane to lane in the wet behind me, I could see him approaching in my rear view mirror before rear ending me.
Were you compensated well for your car? I hope you got every cent out of that annoying, overprotective mother.:mad:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Not at all, their small unheard of insurance company initially offered me $3300, I paid $5000 for the car. I threatened to sue them and at that point they offered to to take my maintenance records into account which included new front brake rotors and, pads,rear pads, timing belt change, new struts and shocks and at that point then they finally offered me $5100 which I accepted. It took a while and in the meantime I bought a beater 740 Wagon to drive not that it was worth it all but more out of principal, I told the agent you shouldn't assume I am some poor person that needs your $3300 initial offer and I would buy my own transportation after the 2 week rental was up until they made me an acceptable offer or I would see them in court.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not at all, their small unheard of insurance company initially offered me $3300, I paid $5000 for the car. I threatened to sue them and at that point they offered to to take my maintenance records into account which included new front brake rotors and, pads,rear pads, timing belt change, new struts and shocks and at that point then they finally offered me $5100 which I accepted. It took a while and in the meantime I bought a beater 740 Wagon to drive not that it was worth it all but more out of principal, I told the agent you shouldn't assume I am some poor person that needs your $3300 initial offer and I would buy my own transportation after the 2 week rental was up until they made me an acceptable offer or I would see them in court.
Good job, it was the right thing to do and I wish I had done the same. I only received $2500 for this car though it had an engine problem so I guess i would have gotten less on the market. Are you still in the wagon? What year was the C70 you were in?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It was a 1998 Cassis Purple C70 -only year that color was available and the whole reason I traveled so far to buy it, my understanding is Volvo only made 300 in that color (Saffron Orange Metallic and Coral Red were the other 2 special colors only available during the 1998 model year coupes). I sold the beater wagon , I have a 2005 Volvo S60R now.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a 1998 Cassis Purple C70 -only year that color was available and the whole reason I traveled so far to buy it, my understanding is Volvo only made 300 in that color (Saffron Orange Metallic and Coral Red were the other 2 special colors only available during the 1998 model year coupes). I sold the beater wagon , I have a 2005 Volvo S60R now.
Sorry you lost a rare car :( At least the wagon is very nice! Where do you live?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car but at least you came out OK, so it did it's job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts