SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I've complained about my RD, however the truth is I think it's a good car that can be a great car with a few minor modifications. My complaints boil down to rattles, panel fit and brakes.

All things equal I'd rather buy a Volvo than anything German.

If you put the S60 Polestar into production I'll fogrive the rattles and panel fit if you include track-able brakes and a paddle-shifted dual clutch tranny. And maybe throw in a more rear biased AWD.

Ill be first in line with my checkbook.

Thank you,

2012 S60 RD Owner and Volvo enthusiast.

PS -> Please also get a new AC compressor supplier.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dear 2012 S60 RD Owner and Volvo enthusiast,

Thank you for your support and passion for the Volvo Car Corporation. We have worked with a variety of suppliers and have extensively tested the S60 platform. As a result we have developed a world-class vehicle for the discriminating luxury buyer. Should any problems arise during ownership, we strongly suggest that you contact your local official Volvo dealer who will be more than happy to assist you with your Volvo.

If you are looking for more performance, we offer Polestar engine management tuning which is available at your local dealer that can be installed quickly for a nominal cost. We also offer the S60 T6 AWD for the more performance minded owner. Once again, thank you for your support. Drive Safely.

Sincerely,
Volvo Car Corporation

·
Registered
459 Posts
" ... If you put the S60 Polestar into production I'll forgive the rattles and panel fit if you include track-able brakes and a paddle-shifted dual clutch tranny. And maybe throw in a more rear biased AWD...."

Just curious about how often you've tracked your car. If I tracked my R-D I'd opt for aftermarket brakes but, since I don't, I've found the standard brakes are 100% adequate for any street use I've encountered.

While the transmission is not the best I've seen, it's fine in real world use. I'm personally not a big fan of paddle shifters, so that's not a big deal for me one way or the other. I would much rather see Volvo offer a slick 6 speed manual.

For me, I'd be happy with real instrumentation, and a digital speed display. BTW, for what it's worth, fit and finish on my R-D is as good as any car I've ever owned and, with 4,000 miles on it, it's still completely free of any rattles or squeaks. I'll keep my fingers crossed ....

·
Registered
123 Posts

Thank you for your support and passion for the Volvo Car Corporation. We have worked with a variety of suppliers and have extensively tested the S60 platform. As a result we have developed a world-class vehicle for the discriminating luxury buyer. Should any problems arise during ownership, we strongly suggest that you contact your local official Volvo dealer who will be more than happy to assist you with your Volvo.

If you are looking for more performance, we offer Polestar engine management tuning which is available at your local dealer that can be installed quickly for a nominal cost. We also offer the S60 T6 AWD for the more performance minded owner. Once again, thank you for your support. Drive Safely.

Sincerely,
Volvo Car Corporation
nice! I like the downselling bit!:D

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

If you are looking for more performance, we offer Polestar engine management tuning which is available at your local dealer that can be installed quickly for a nominal cost.
Ummm...........he already has the current Polestar tuning. :rolleyes:

Should any problems arise during ownership, we strongly suggest that you contact your local official Volvo dealer who will be more than happy to assist you with your Volvo.
LOLZ.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know I've complained about my RD, however the truth is I think it's a good car that can be a great car with a few minor modifications. My complaints boil down to rattles, panel fit and brakes.

If you put the S60 Polestar into production I'll fogrive the rattles and panel fit if you include track-able brakes and a paddle-shifted dual clutch tranny. And maybe throw in a more rear biased AWD.

Thank you,

Well said.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hate the paddle shifters in my other car. I tend to hit them with my finger during a quick turn, dropping me into manual mode when I don't want it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As an RD owner, I don't have issues with rattles, panel fit or the brakes.

At 6,000 miles I'm rattle free.

Given that there are others like me, perhaps you have a lemon or need to have a heart to heart with your dealer. If I had those issues, My dealer would know me quite uncomfortably (to him) well.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thank you,

Agreed and may I add, if the Polestar S60 is offered, I will trade in my 2012 S60 RD. And +1,000 on the AC compressor, holy crap its loud!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
As a 2004 R owner, and having driven a 2012 R-Design... Yeah, they need more brakes. They should kick the extra few $$ for Brembos like my R has... seriously.

I like the '04 better than the '12...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Agreed and may I add, if the Polestar S60 is offered, I will trade in my 2012 S60 RD. And +1,000 on the AC compressor, holy crap its loud!
And take a HUGE bath on Volvo resale.

As a 2004 R owner, and having driven a 2012 R-Design... Yeah, they need more brakes. They should kick the extra few $$ for Brembos like my R has... seriously.

Supposedly, the 2013 RD is getting bigger brakes from the XC90. And yes, the P2R has a bit more character than the current RD. IMO, the P2R design is still attractive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
" ... If you put the S60 Polestar into production I'll forgive the rattles and panel fit if you include track-able brakes and a paddle-shifted dual clutch tranny. And maybe throw in a more rear biased AWD...."

Just curious about how often you've tracked your car. If I tracked my R-D I'd opt for aftermarket brakes but, since I don't, I've found the standard brakes are 100% adequate for any street use I've encountered.

While the transmission is not the best I've seen, it's fine in real world use. I'm personally not a big fan of paddle shifters, so that's not a big deal for me one way or the other. I would much rather see Volvo offer a slick 6 speed manual.

For me, I'd be happy with real instrumentation, and a digital speed display. BTW, for what it's worth, fit and finish on my R-D is as good as any car I've ever owned and, with 4,000 miles on it, it's still completely free of any rattles or squeaks. I'll keep my fingers crossed ....
My apologies Saholz,

Although you are driving the R-D and I'm not, the transmission is out of date, and absolutely not up to par compared to the so-called competition. I can't drive the T6 in S-mode, other than quick passes on the highway, or taking off from the traffic light. In city driving, albeit quick, it shocks and doesn't really know what it wants and loss of power is so significant, a BMW 328 with only 240 hp (per the manufacturer) is just as quick as the T6 with 300 hp.

Brake wise, I think that the car is dangerously underpowered. When braking from 100 to 60 mph, the car vibrates and doing that twice, braking power is completely gone....

These are the only two grudges I have with the car. Change the transmission to a 8 speed ZF version instead of this Aisin(ancient) 6 speed, and please put some proper brakes on. If the 17.5 inch helps a lot, I may just actually keep the car.

just my 2 ct.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

Because 04-07 is much better car. Period.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I don't plan to track it. My logic is that if I have trackable brakes then I'll know I'm not going to reach the limit on the street. I think I'm hitting the limit of the stock breaks doing what I would call very light enthusiast driving.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As an RD owner, I don't have issues with rattles, panel fit or the brakes.

At 6,000 miles I'm rattle free.

Given that there are others like me, perhaps you have a lemon or need to have a heart to heart with your dealer. If I had those issues, My dealer would know me quite uncomfortably (to him) well.
Just don't have time for that.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My apologies Saholz,

Although you are driving the R-D and I'm not, the transmission is out of date, and absolutely not up to par compared to the so-called competition. I can't drive the T6 in S-mode, other than quick passes on the highway, or taking off from the traffic light. In city driving, albeit quick, it shocks and doesn't really know what it wants and loss of power is so significant, a BMW 328 with only 240 hp (per the manufacturer) is just as quick as the T6 with 300 hp.
+1. Do keep in mind that this is a Volvo forum though so people are biased... I had my flame suit on when I posted about the Car and Driver comparo.

I guess you have not been at the auctions lately...
Not everyone goes to car auctions....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts