SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 855 Platinum a couple months ago, so bear with me on this one please. I recently called my local dealer to get a quote on their PCV service cost, and they told me $266 and that they do not take the intake manifold off, just the throttle body. Do they have a separate method at dealerships, or is this just a preliminary step for the full service?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't know about the methods specifically, but I'm surprised they can successfully do the PCV service on an 850 without taking the intake off! I just had the intake off of my 850 for about a week, and I can't imagine being able to access most of the PCV system with the intake on.

That sounds more like their response for the later five-cylinder cars, with the smaller, flatter intake manifold, and where the throttle body was below the intake in front of the PCV box. For these, I could imagine you could remove the throttle body and have decent access to the PCV box.

For the 850, the throttle body isn't in the way of the PCV system - it is off to the driver's side of the intake. I don't see why you would need to take it off for a PCV service at all.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
What type of dealer? Volvo specific? Reason I ask is because some other PCV systems across other manufacturers are much more easy to access and look entirely different than on Volvos. I cannot imagine why anyone would WANT to do the PCV job without taking off the intake manifold. I would imagine it might be possible but what a nightmare that would be.

Is the $266 just for labor or parts and labor? The Volvo OEM kits run from $170-$200 depending on your model an vin number. That job should cost more than $66 in labor. I would question whether the dealer knows exactly the job you requested they perform.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Agreed, I did my PCV system over a few days(the 850 is not my primary car). But I took my time. If I did it in one shot, it would be at least a few hours, if I had done it several times before. There is no way any normal person could do the PCV service with the intake manifold in place, if anything that would make it take way longer, but it is possible.

I also agree that the dealer may be familiar with the newer motors, I have done the PCV on those too and it is much easier to access without removing the intake manifold.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of dealer? Volvo specific? Reason I ask is because some other PCV systems across other manufacturers are much more easy to access and look entirely different than on Volvos. I cannot imagine why anyone would WANT to do the PCV job without taking off the intake manifold. I would imagine it might be possible but what a nightmare that would be.

Is the $266 just for labor or parts and labor? The Volvo OEM kits run from $170-$200 depending on your model an vin number. That job should cost more than $66 in labor. I would question whether the dealer knows exactly the job you requested they perform.
yes, a legit Volvo dealer...in the nice part of the suburbs at that, very new looking facility. I believe he said that $266 for everything, but I'm going to guess the service advisor was wrong, or lazy and didn't get the right time quote.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
I don't see how this is possible. Either the adviser is unfamiliar with the PCV system on 850s or he is quoting you a throttle body service or something like that. I would guesstimate about $700-$800 ish for parts and labor at the dealer for a PCV system replacement. There's no actual PCV service that I'm aware of. If there was it would be useless if your PCV system is clogged. If it's clogged and not holding vacuum, you must replace it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just paid about $250 for labor and provided my own parts to a local Volvo service center.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
$250 for just labor seems right on par. If I were doing it for a friend, I'd probably charge somewhere from $0-$100 depending on how good of a friend they are.

It took me about 6 hours to do but I was also doing a stage 0 with IPD's kit at the same time. And I celaned the crap out of the throttle body, intake manifold, and EGR valve. It's definitely one of those "while you're in there" jobs. If I had to do again, I bet I could get it in 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
When I did the PCV recently on my S60 T5 the parts alone from IPD were $300. So what's a PCV kit for a P80 cost now? On IPD it looks like their OEM Volvo kit lists at ~$150. If you look at that kit on their website and you can verify that your dealership is installing those exact same parts for $266 parts and labor then I would toss them keys and go to the beach. I would totally pay a shop $75 in labor to do that job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts