SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my XC90 in for 30k service and noticed that the ticket said "Synth Blend"

Is this what Volvo has mandated as the default choice or is this just something the dealer is doing? (I didn't ask for anything special.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is what Volvo uses in its cars, according to my dealer. It was explained to me that pure synthetic would be changed at 10000 miles, regular oil at 5000. So, the blend gets changed at 7500, at least on my S60. I also heard somewhere that Volvo was transitioning to full synthetic, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
I also heard somewhere that Volvo was transitioning to full synthetic, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
You probably heard that here. 2013 models require full synthetic and get a 10,000 mile change interval.

Like your dealer, my dealer (Wynne Volvo in Hampton, VA) uses synthetic blend.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what Volvo uses in its cars, according to my dealer. It was explained to me that pure synthetic would be changed at 10000 miles, regular oil at 5000. So, the blend gets changed at 7500, at least on my S60. I also heard somewhere that Volvo was transitioning to full synthetic, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
I've heard inconsistent things from various dealers, and didn't have a chance to ask this one (first time having service in NC). I feel a little better about going 7500 miles on an oci if it's at least a Grp II / Grp III blend.

·
Registered
301 Posts
all cars in our shop get the blend but the '13 models.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My indie shop uses fully synth and only Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My dealer uses a Synth blend. Mobil 1 7500
Interesting...Castrol Syn Blend in our Volvos since the '01 S40 up to now. Two dealers....1000 miles apart. Ours in Austin usually has Castrol POP material on the counter, including $10 off next oil change coupons. I even got a soccer ball a couple of years ago!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Volvo dealerships here use fully synthetic and the recommended oil change is 15,000km or 9,375miles. My car has been serviced using fully synthetic and even my indie Volvo garage uses fully synthetic - Mobil 1.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
What would you put in your car???? (lets say it was MY12)
Syn blend, all Volvo factory services are 7500 miles using syn blend. My2013 will be 10,000 mile services will full syn. End of sorry. Even older 850's we do 7500 miles w/ syn blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
My dealer (MY12 vehicle) is using Synth blend. You can upgrade to full synth for $24. I did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ive been using synthetic blend in mine since i got my 97 a few years back and thats only because that is what we buy by the 50gallon container
if it wasnt an old high-mileage motor/car i would buy my own full synthetic, but since we have the blend, thats what gets thrown in there

cant really say if its the quality of the oil, or the motor being old, but i think the blend we use is crap...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
ive been using synthetic blend in mine since i got my 97 a few years back and thats only because that is what we buy by the 50gallon container
if it wasnt an old high-mileage motor/car i would buy my own full synthetic, but since we have the blend, thats what gets thrown in there

cant really say if its the quality of the oil, or the motor being old, but i think the blend we use is crap...
So are you suggesting I upgrade to full synthetic beginning with my first oil change at 7,500 miles???

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
So are you suggesting I upgrade to full synthetic beginning with my first oil change at 7,500 miles???
you shouldnt even wait 7,500 miles. Unless the vast majority of your mileage is interstate you should change every 5-7k with synthetic

If you want to quantify it with some data, send a sample of your oil off to blackstone labs (blackstone-labs.com) and have the standard analysis +TBN ($35) done. They will give you a brief rundown of your oil in your car.

7,500 miles would be more reasonable on a non turbo vehicle, but turbos are tough on oil.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been in this business for a little while now, and I'm a firm believer in full synthetic. I change every 5k miles, need it or not. What I like is that if I go a bit over, I don't really worry about it. I just go off my odometer, and every multiple of 5 it gets changed....

I'm not a big fan of blends. The reason to run synthetic is because regular oil breaks down and burns at a lower temperature. Having this as part of the oil just seems to me to be pointless. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

I usually buy the full synthetic Mobil1 in the gallon jugs. WalMart carries it. Much cheaper than buying the individual quarts.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
you shouldnt even wait 7,500 miles. Unless the vast majority of your mileage is interstate you should change every 5-7k with synthetic

If you want to quantify it with some data, send a sample of your oil off to blackstone labs (blackstone-labs.com) and have the standard analysis +TBN ($35) done. They will give you a brief rundown of your oil in your car.

7,500 miles would be more reasonable on a non turbo vehicle, but turbos are tough on oil.
A good synthetic oil will be fine for 7,500 miles even for turbo engines.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
That would be a good move.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Spend some time reading Used Oil Analysis reports on BITOG (Bobistheoilguy.com) ; many people are doing fine with 10K miles plus oil change intervals using premium synthetic oils. I prefer Redline or Mobil 1 EP for long oil change intervals.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Spend some time reading Used Oil Analysis reports on BITOG (Bobistheoilguy.com) ; many people are doing fine with 10K miles plus oil change intervals using premium synthetic oils. I prefer Redline or Mobil 1 EP for long oil change intervals.
Exactly. In Europe, many people go (with higher strung engines, too boot) at least 10,000 miles between oil and filter changes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts