SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I noticed that when I read that article, it is interesting. I'm not surprised Volvo S60 & V60 because, IMO, Volvo began advertising the new S60/V60 too early which motivates people to just wait for the new gorgeous model to come out instead of purchasing the outgoing platform.

I found even more shocking that Benz's E class was #6.

This should all help us understand why, although unpopular with anti-SUV crowds, Ford decided to drop almost all sedans from their manufacturing plans in the US, people want SUVs/CUV at the moment in this country.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Mostly sedans. They are a hard sell anymore. Ford had it right to drop most of their non-SUV/Truck lineup.

·
Registered
282 Posts
With the luxury Volvo 90 Series, consumers have a choice of sedan or SUV, but so far buyers seem to be opting for neither

Something's not quite right. These numbers appear to be for S90, V90, V90CC combined, but exclude XC90.

US sales 2018 (change from 2017):

S90 6,967 (-19.4%)

V90 491 (+168.3%)

V90CC 2,204 (-2.7%)

XC90 31,609 (+2.0%)

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/sales-volumes?year=2018&month=12

·
Registered
282 Posts
In 2018, Volvo tied with Lexus for the top car brand slot in the American Customer Satisfaction Index, rating 85 (out of 100) in customer satisfaction.

This seems contrary to the recent JDPower survey results. I know JDPower is asking about 'dependability', but I'd think that owners would weigh that factor heavily when responding to ACSI's survey.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Americans are short sided and fickle consumers. We see the "now" and not the past or the future. Look at the housing bubble when bottom fell out and house prices were heavily slashed. Fast forward and now we're repeating the same process with the housing market picking up full steam and values rebounding.

The same with gas prices. When prices hit $3-$4.00 a gallon nationwide. Everyone was dumping their gas guzzlers in favor of Sedans. Now that gas is around $2-$3.00 nationwide, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of bigger is better.

These trends ebb and flow like everything else. And as Americans, we do the "now" not later mentality.

·
Registered
89 Posts
With the luxury Volvo 90 Series, consumers have a choice of sedan or SUV, but so far buyers seem to be opting for neither

Something's not quite right. These numbers appear to be for S90, V90, V90CC combined, but exclude XC90.

S90 6,967 (-19.4%)

V90 491 (+168.3%)

V90CC 2,204 (-2.7%)

XC90 31,609 (+2.0%)

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/corporate/sales-volumes?year=2018&month=12
I noticed the same thing. They did the same thing with the 60 series on the list as well. But, even in Volvo's sales numbers you can see a hard increase in SUV sales with the XC90, XC60 II, and the XC40. Byproduct is reduced sedan and wagon sales. It supports the metric that US buyers have shifted away from sedans toward SUV/CUV's.

I actually still think Ford are idiots for dropping sedans like they are. They'd be better off developing a modular platform like Volvo's SPA or VW's MQB. With just in time ordering you have greater flexibility to construct multiple models on a single production line. That line will then be more profitable and tooling cost is distributed across multiple models. Also, means consumer buying shifts aren't AS impactful.

·
Registered
879 Posts
S90 and V90 not selling is not new. This is why they offered $10,000 off last year and why I got myself one.

The SUV's and mainly the XC40 can not keep up production with demand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Was at the dealer Saturday waiting for service and it was packed and it seemed like they were closing a lot. Everything but the S90.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed that when I read that article, it is interesting. I'm not surprised Volvo S60 & V60 because, IMO, Volvo began advertising the new S60/V60 too early which motivates people to just wait for the new gorgeous model to come out instead of purchasing the outgoing platform.

I found even more shocking that Benz's E class was #6.

This should all help us understand why, although unpopular with anti-SUV crowds, Ford decided to drop almost all sedans from their manufacturing plans in the US, people want SUVs/CUV at the moment in this country.
I agree. The new 60 series is night and day better looking than the previous year. I think it is going to be big. I live in New England which has always embraced Volvo and Saab. I expect to see a lot of 60's on the road.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Funny about the Buick Regal. I’ve seen probably 6 Regal Tour-X wagons this week around western New York. Maybe GM is blowing them out due to slow sales?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Funny about the Buick Regal. I’ve seen probably 6 Regal Tour-X wagons this week around western New York. Maybe GM is blowing them out due to slow sales?
The same thing I noticed here. In my immediate vicinity, 4 brand-new Buick Tour-Xs have popped up out of nowhere. They look nice, IMO. GM is known to bump up the price of any Vehicle to a ridiculous MSRP and when they (obviously) don't sell, discount them to 20% or so to show people they are getting a great deal. That's been their business strategy for decades now.

·
Registered
13,983 Posts
The new S60 looks great but I can't imagine it will sell as well as the last one. Volvo isn't even expecting it. Times have changed.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
The new S60 looks great but I can't imagine it will sell as well as the last one. Volvo isn't even expecting it. Times have changed.
When gas prices surge again, and I'm sure they will at some point, Americans will flock back to sedans. Preferences ebb and flow with the market.

·
Registered
13,983 Posts
When gas prices surge again, and I'm sure they will at some point, Americans will flock back to sedans. Preferences ebb and flow with the market.
Maybe a sedan but based on current consumer preferences more likely an XC40 or some future "XC-like" vehicle. XC30, XC20 anyone?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Its not really apples to apples though. The last time gas prices shot up the best selling SUVs were getting mileage in the high single digits or low teens. The Hummer H2 was one of the best selling vehicles around and completely vanished after gas prices increased. Since then, most newer large SUVs and trucks average somewhere in the 20s depending on how and where you drive so I'm not sure there would be such a dramatic shift away from SUVs to sedans as there was previously. As someone said, you may see people going from an XC90 to a 60 or 40, but even than, the improved mileage isn't that substantial when comparing identical motors like it was when people went from a large SUV averaging 10 mpg to a car that got 30 mpg.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The same thing I noticed here. In my immediate vicinity, 4 brand-new Buick Tour-Xs have popped up out of nowhere. They look nice, IMO. GM is known to bump up the price of any Vehicle to a ridiculous MSRP and when they (obviously) don't sell, discount them to 20% or so to show people they are getting a great deal. That's been their business strategy for decades now.
The Tour-X isn't bad, but it's a completely different class. When we initially started looking at larger wagons, the Tour-X was in the running. On paper, it has similar internal dimensions, also has a big panoramic sunroof, and has good European lines since it is an Opel after all.

Then I went in sat in one at a dealer, and then both my wife and I sat in one at the local autoshow. Even on the higher end of the model, the interior really lets it down. Hard plastics, lower quality leather, etc. It's immediately apparent this is where they cut costs, which is a shame, because otherwise the car seems well built.

Well, that and the other negative is that it sits much lower than it should.

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts
I know that my local dealer had eighteen 2018 S60s on the lot as of Dec 1. Still have quite a few, even after throwing in 5 figure discounts and the CPO warranty. May not be the car's fault; I consider their sales department to be pretty lame.

·
Registered
223 Posts

S90 6,967 (-19.4%)

V90 491 (+168.3%)

V90CC 2,204 (-2.7%)

XC90 31,609 (+2.0%)

No way XC90 is included in that list and you proved it.

I see a lot of XC90s, S90s, XC60s here in the NYC area. I remember when I got my XC90 in June 2018, I got a lot of stares. I think all the cars in Volvo's lineup right now are beautiful.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts