SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was returning to pickup my car back from the shop. The service advisor told me they lost the KEYS. I'm thinking WTF? Anyways the advisor told me they would give me a loaner for the week and I can return the gas tank empty on behalf of their screwup. They will give me a call tomorrow but if they can't find the keys, they will order new keys for me. Never heard of that one before.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Dealer screwup (hsuboy)

Why does it seem like every single part for our S40's always has to be ordered? Aren't there enough S40's on the road that they would stock a replacement key at the dealer? So maybe they can't keep every part at the dealer, but why does it always take days for Volvo parts to come in. When I go buy parts for my Honda, if they have to order the part, they have it the next day.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: Dealer screwup (lrosales)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>lrosales</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does it seem like every single part for our S40's always has to be ordered? Aren't there enough S40's on the road that they would stock a replacement key at the dealer? So maybe they can't keep every part at the dealer, but why does it always take days for Volvo parts to come in. When I go buy parts for my Honda, if they have to order the part, they have it the next day.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Obviously they do have replacement keys at the dealer, as long as there is at least one new S40 for sale there. I don't know the inner workings of dealers (although I know that sales and service are different departments) but if the dealer truly is at fault in losing the key it seems like they should repurpose one of the keys from an unsold new car, and then order the replacement for that.<p>Incidentally, hsuboy, what happened to your spare key? Did you give both keys to the dealer for some reason?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Dealer screwup (mullmann)

I gave my Dad the other key. I had to be somewhere after I picked up the car, so getting the key from him would have taken more time. I see this opportunity as a free rental with a full tank of gas. It's just a pain that this dealer is 40 miles from where I live, although I am very happy with the service, except for this one screwup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what about safety issues here?<br>my info thing on the radio says I have 4 keys programmed... but i only have 3 as one was <br>"lost" <br>what if someone gets hold of that key because as far as the car is concerned, the key is still registered?<p>Also I can see the point of ordering the key, i'm assuming on "order" they mean they will get it reprogrammed too and maybe not all garages can program keys?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: (Akash)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Akash</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">info thing on the radio says I have 4 keys programmed... but i only have 3 as one was "lost" what if someone gets hold of that key because as far as the car is concerned, the key is still registered?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The lost key is still active. You should ask them to remove it from the car's memory. They have to hook the car up to the computer, but it's quick to do and the safest option.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: (Akash)

I guess if you have 2 or more S40 or V50 you can program one key for both cars. I know some of you do. That'll be kinda cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts