SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 2007 V50 it came with two keys but one of them didn't work. I took it in to the Volvo dealer and they told me it wouldn't function so I had to buy a new one for $209 plus programming/software. I thought this was too much so I just bought a used key online off of ebay for $30 US. Got the key yesterday and called Volvo dealer this morning only to be told that keys cannot be reprogrammed! The service guy said that if I bought the key online it was for another car and that they cannot reprogram these keys and that I would have to buy a brand new one from them for over $300. WTF? How can they not be able to wipe a key and just reprogram it for a new vehicle? Is this just the dealer refusing to do it so they can sell more $300 keys? Will a non dealer Volvo place do it for me? Something stinks here......

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
What?!?! There has to be an alternative. I have some extra keys from my first S40 that I would like to get programmed for my current car...

·
Registered
555 Posts
How can they not be able to wipe a key and just reprogram it for a new vehicle? Is this just the dealer refusing to do it so they can sell more $300 keys?
This. They can do it, they dont want to. I read either here or another volvo forum that about 60% of them will do it.

Look for locksmiths in your area that can do programing and lazer cut keys. One of them should be able to do it. I'm in the same boat. Only got 1 key when I bought mine and just got one from ebay. Havent done anything with it yet though. The car says it has 3 programmed for it so I need the other 2 erased from the system.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This. They can do it, they dont want to. I read either here or another volvo forum that about 60% of them will do it.

Look for locksmiths in your area that can do programing and lazer cut keys. One of them should be able to do it. I'm in the same boat. Only got 1 key when I bought mine and just got one from ebay. Havent done anything with it yet though. The car says it has 3 programmed for it so I need the other 2 erased from the system.
The key is programmed into the car by scanning the bar code on the wrapper. Unless your eBay key is brand new and still in the wrapper there is no way to program it into the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I have one vote yes and one vote no.....there must be plenty of folks on here that have replaced a key before?

·
Registered
658 Posts
They can be reprogrammed. This is just a dealership who wants to charge you $150 for the part. Go somewhere else, then come back to the same dealership with a receipt, acknowedging they were at the least...WRONG.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Okay, so I have one vote yes and one vote no.....there must be plenty of folks on here that have replaced a key before?
They can be reprogrammed. This is just a dealership who wants to charge you $150 for the part. Go somewhere else, then come back to the same dealership with a receipt, acknowedging they were at the least...WRONG.
This is my opinion too. Do you have any experience with it though?

·
Registered
658 Posts
When I first purchased my S40, I made the mistake of only have one copy. As fate would have it...I lost my keys about a few months later. I did not have a dealership do it. Had the car towed to a local shop who just ordered two keys and reprogrammed it. So it's something that can be done by virtually anyone who services Volvos. If I had done this with a dealership, I was probably looking at $600+ for the two keys. Got it done for about $200, if I remember correctly.

Now, what does change, is in your car when you look in the menu for the VIN, you will see something like "how many keys: 4" type display. This tells you how many keys were issued over the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I was appalled with the amount of misinformation on this thread. If you guys only think its one way without actually knowing the process Don't lead others in error.

All keys can be reprogrammed if and only if they have their original pin code. Without it you cannot accEss the key "admin" mode and assign it to a different car.
That means 98% of keys from eBay are useless

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Now, what does change, is in your car when you look in the menu for the VIN, you will see something like "how many keys: 4" type display. This tells you how many keys were issued over the life of the vehicle.
That makes sense, as the other keys were never deleted. Do you know if the independent shop ordered 2 new keys or used keys?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I was appalled with the amount of misinformation on this thread. If you guys only think its one way without actually knowing the process Don't lead others in error.

All keys can be reprogrammed if and only if they have their original pin code. Without it you cannot accEss the key "admin" mode and assign it to a different car.
That means 98% of keys from eBay are useless
Thank you, that's what I was trying to draw out for the OP.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
where do you buy blank keys for our cars? i might need one, you never know ...

·
Registered
658 Posts
That makes sense, as the other keys were never deleted. Do you know if the independent shop ordered 2 new keys or used keys?
They ordered new keys from my understanding.

·
Registered
709 Posts
dealer or ebay, if they can provide the sticker with the original pincode, otherwise dealer only.

If you are talking about the metal emergency key, that can be had from ebay (blank) for cheap.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
was hoping to hear tasca or something like that :p

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Keep On Gettin - On !

dealer or ebay, if they can provide the sticker with the original pincode, otherwise dealer only.

If you are talking about the metal emergency key, that can be had from ebay (blank) for cheap.

Yes, Pin Code - Needed !
Now that said : I bought those as My Casing was Cracked - which also Damaged 1 Button.

I took the Entire Casing and Switched in the Key-less Inside Pcs. ( Works Great ) :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isn't the pin code one of the numbers that is printed on the back of the stalk of the key? I have certainly gotten a variety of opinions now but I don't feel like I am an further ahead in finding a solution. I am thinking I will contact a locksmith who specializes in these keys and go from there...

·
Registered
709 Posts
tasca as far as I know fits into the dealer range.

As for the pincode... no not on back of the key. It's a sticker that's supplied when you buy the car new or you buy a new key. Without it you are lost.

The back of the key has all kinds of FCC and other regulations and certifications it complies with.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
tasca as far as I know fits into the dealer range.

As for the pincode... no not on back of the key. It's a sticker that's supplied when you buy the car new or you buy a new key. Without it you are lost.

The back of the key has all kinds of FCC and other regulations and certifications it complies with.
I agree, they would not put an access PIN on the back of the key, that's like writting your PIN on your ATM card.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts