SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2015 (140K km/87K mi) in for an oil change, and the dealer said that I needed new bearings on the front suspension struts. I seem to recall that these were replaced within the past year (since the expiration of the warranty). He also says that having the bearings replaced means that I'll need an alignment. I am highly suspicious of this service department, but getting the car in for service is a major pain in the ankle and I'm heading off for a road trip next week, so I told him to proceed.

Am I being paranoid for thinking that this dealership is milking a potential issue? Should a bearing job not be good for 40K miles?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Did you take the car in for a noise in the suspension? If you don't have a noise, its very unlikely there is any issue.
Taking the struts out would necessitate an alignment afterward.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you take the car in for a noise in the suspension? If you don't have a noise, its very unlikely there is any issue.
Thanks for that.

Actually I took it in for a windshield replacement, but I was close to needing an oil change so I figured that I would get the oil service at the same time.

I seem to recall hearing a slight "clunk" when I made a tight slow-speed hard-over turnaround in the driveway yesterday, but I did not consider it worth worrying about at the time and did not mention it to the service department.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks for that.

Actually I took it in for a windshield replacement, but I was close to needing an oil change so I figured that I would get the oil service at the same time.

I seem to recall hearing a slight "clunk" when I made a tight slow-speed hard-over turnaround in the driveway yesterday, but I did not consider it worth worrying about at the time and did not mention it to the service department.
So you’re saying they found an issue without your calling their attention to it? On the one hand, that’s encouraging to some extent. On the other, I’m suspicious as to the accuracy of their troubleshooting if you already had those parts replaced. You shouldn’t have to replace those parts more than once within a 100k mile period, if at all. If the strut bushings are recent, it’s quite likely the clunking sound is from something else, like a worn or loose swaybar endlink. Those can make quite a racket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts