SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're bringing our Volvo in for a 30K mi/48K km service which according to the schedule is a type "A" service. The dealer is also recommending a "Hot Oil treatment" (??) and climate control service. Does anyone have any more information on these services? The first one sounds like a ripoff but the service rep said that the second was recommended every 2 years/40K km. However, according to the Volvo recommended maintenance it looks like the cabin filter isn't due for replacement until 64K km .

Unfortunately, I can't find much information online as to what is truly required. We had a bad experience with the last service so I'd like to go into this one fully informed. Would love to hear from someone who works at Volvo for a second opinion.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
We're bringing our Volvo in for a 30K mi/48K km service which according to the schedule is a type "A" service. The dealer is also recommending a "Hot Oil treatment" (??) and climate control service. Does anyone have any more information on these services? The first one sounds like a ripoff but the service rep said that the second was recommended every 2 years/40K km. However, according to the Volvo recommended maintenance it looks like the cabin filter isn't due for replacement until 64K km .

Unfortunately, I can't find much information online as to what is truly required. We had a bad experience with the last service so I'd like to go into this one fully informed. Would love to hear from someone who works at Volvo for a second opinion.
If you ask for detailed list of items for these recommendation, it would be easier to tell.
I bet they are not necessary at all.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
OP, you don't say where you're located but in the US you can go online and open up the owner’s manual for your car. In a sub category is the maintenance schedule with a nice little chart of what is and what is NOT required. Always follow this schedule as it is created by Volvo. Dealership service department is just trying to make extra money. Stick to the maintenance schedule and you should be fine. And 4 tire air exchange/refresh is not needed either.....

·
Registered
894 Posts

For our 2018V90CC my dealer goes by schedule "A" for 30K.
Change oil & filter. Everything else is just checking things.

Climate control service is done @ 20K and is the cabin air filter replacement, + oil change and checking thing as for 20K.
"Hot oil treatment" sounds like a "add on" the dealer wishes to perform. Never heard of it:confused:
Hot oil treatment sounds like something you would get at a hair salon. :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP, you don't say where you're located but in the US you can go online and open up the owner’s manual for your car. In a sub category is the maintenance schedule with a nice little chart of what is and what is NOT required. Always follow this schedule as it is created by Volvo. Dealership service department is just trying to make extra money. Stick to the maintenance schedule and you should be fine. And 4 tire air exchange/refresh is not needed either.....
I'm in Canada. I found the manual thanks (https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs...ff3be7cc956939da5216/Wty_Manual_3rd_ed_CC.pdf). I'll use that as my guide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For our 2018V90CC my dealer goes by schedule "A" for 30K.
Change oil & filter. Everything else is just checking things.

Climate control service is done @ 20K and is the cabin air filter replacement, + oil change and checking thing as for 20K.
"Hot oil treatment" sounds like a "add on" the dealer wishes to perform. Never heard of it:confused:
Hot oil treatment sounds like something you would get at a hair salon. :p
We definitely had the cabin filter replacement done at 20K so we're good there. I was super confused with the "hot oil" as well lol.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Never heard of a hot oil treatment. As others said, stick with the manual and you'll be fine. If you want to save some more money, it's likely cheaper to just buy the actual replacement items in the services rather than the service package. So for a 30k service, just buy an oil change. 40k- just buy the oil change, cabin filter, air filter and brake flush.

I haven't checked Canada, but I've checked a few random dealers in the US and the service packages are always overpriced.

·
Registered
174 Posts

"hot oil treatment" is probably an engine oil flush. Totally unnecessary at 30K miles IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"hot oil treatment" is probably an engine oil flush. Totally unnecessary at 30K miles IMHO.
Yeah, you're definitely right. Don't know why he didn't refer to it as such. Is this something to ever consider given we change at the manufacturer's intervals (or less) and Volvo is using high quality synthetic?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
At my dealer they did all of the recommended services at 10, 20 and 30,000 miles for free. They didn’t ask me to pay for any additional services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Odd they didn't also offer to replace the winter air in your tires for summer air.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hot oil treatment sounds like something for the massage place, not the car dealer.

Hard pass for me. I’d probably look to switch dealers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
At my dealer they did all of the recommended services at 10, 20 and 30,000 miles for free. They didn’t ask me to pay for any additional services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is what you should expect.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, you're definitely right. Don't know why he didn't refer to it as such. Is this something to ever consider given we change at the manufacturer's intervals (or less) and Volvo is using high quality synthetic?
As others have said. Shouldn't ever be required in a well-maintained modern car.

I did one years ago in an older 2004 P2 XC70, but mostly because I was switching from "regular" oil to "synthetic" oil, and I wasn't the first owner.
It was probably mostly snakeoil to be honest, but I liked the idea of getting a full engine flush when switching oil types. :shrug:

~~~

These SPA engines are pretty well-designed (they need to be to have such high specific output) and if the oil is changed regularly, there should never be a need for an engine oil flush.

Either way, definitely not needed at 30K miles. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, an engine flush is not a service that a well-maintained vehicle should EVER need.

If a dealer tried to sell me one without a specific reason then I'd probably give them an earful and take my business elsewhere. I'm fine with businesses making a profit, but I am not okay with selling completely unnecessary services.
Thanks to you (and everyone) for the advice. It's the closest dealership by a long shot...and luckily we only have to deal with them once or twice a year. I'll just be very cautious about what they're pushing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts