SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was called by a sales manager and told that my CPO XC90 that I purchased last year was not supposed to be sold to me as it was a buy back from the previous owner. I went to the dealer the following day to discuss options for the buyback and was offered purchase price minus 12.5% for mileage driven towards a new XC90. They have yet to get back to me with what they're willing to do with replacing the car, but at one point I said, "No worries, I can always just keep driving the car..." To which the manager responded "No, they have to buy it back"

They're offering me 52.5k for my CPO. Its a 2016 Inscription, 45k miles, with every option except B&W (which I retrofitted myself).

Here's the problem; Its my car, I like it, and I don't want to give it up for what they're offering.

My car makes me smile when I drive home after a rough day at work. It has small issues that I'm willing to overlook because I got it for what amounts to 40% off of original retail. I also got the legacy CPO 7 year 100k Warranty that'll take me through 2023.

I built a replacement on the website and retail is 84.5K, which will be in the mid 90s after California tax and registration. Initial talks with the dealer had a 25k gap for a comparable replacement that would have to be ordered. I own the CPO and have not budgeted for new car expenses in the next few years.

Thoughts?

I thought there was another thread o the forum that I read a while back with this same issue. I spent a bit of time looking for it without luck. I'd appreciate it if someone could link to it so I can reach out to the other forum member for more information.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A few days ago I was called by a sales manager and told that my CPO XC90 that I purchased last year was not supposed to be sold to me as it was a buy back from the previous owner. I went to the dealer the following day to discuss options for the buyback and was offered purchase price minus 12.5% for mileage driven towards a new XC90. They have yet to get back to me with what they're willing to do with replacing the car, but at one point I said, "No worries, I can always just keep driving the car..." To which the manager responded "No, they have to buy it back"

They're offering me 52.5k for my CPO. Its a 2016 Inscription, 45k miles, with every option except B&W (which I retrofitted myself).

Here's the problem; Its my car, I like it, and I don't want to give it up for what they're offering.

My car makes me smile when I drive home after a rough day at work. It has small issues that I'm willing to overlook because I got it for what amounts to 40% off of original retail. I also got the legacy CPO 7 year 100k Warranty that'll take me through 2023.

I built a replacement on the website and retail is 84.5K, which will be in the mid 90s after California tax and registration. Initial talks with the dealer had a 25k gap for a comparable replacement that would have to be ordered. I own the CPO and have not budgeted for new car expenses in the next few years.

Thoughts?

I thought there was another thread o the forum that I read a while back with this same issue. I spent a bit of time looking for it without luck. I'd appreciate it if someone could link to it so I can reach out to the other forum member for more information.
Very odd. Did the sales manager give you an explanation as to why they were not supposed to sell it to you (or anyone). Not sure how they can make you sell it back to them. There has to be more they are not telling you.

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The story is that the car went to auction and they bought it for resale as CPO. It sounds like the car wasn't supposed go be resold after the buyback, but somehow wires got crossed and they sold it to me. A year later they realized that they didn't have the car after the buy back and now are trying to recover it as originally intended.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've noticed a few problems. The most noticable is that the lumbar inflates every time you get back in the vehicle, so you have to press the memory button to get things back to normal every time you get in the vehicle. There's also a rattle over small bumps and a couple of other small things like leather wear. Like I said, though, mot anything that's a deal killer given the price I paid.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
lol, jeezuz f****ing Christ. you are getting fed so many lines....

"they HAVE to buy it back"

no they dont dude, they HAVE to move some 2019s...

"wasn't supposed go be resold after the buyback"

LOL, oh brother. I tracked and caught so many dealers selling Volvo omni lemon world cars from Manheim and reselling them as "used" it wasn't even funny. Dean Team in STL were some of the worst offenders. I even had one of them lined up to sell me one then when I called them out they said they were being sold to an exporter.....yeah sure chief. 128 Volvo up in Jamookistan was another offender.

What you need to do is get a lawyer and sue their pants off for selling you a lemon and tell them that you want to be made whole for your time wasted and you'll take nothing but your full price back or a swap out for an identically equipped 2019.....dont even negotiate the mileage deduction.

you probably ****ed yourself though "retrofitting" that B&W system.....they could probably use that as an excuse to get out of any warranty obligation on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As faras the B&W upgrade, I retained the original speakers and amp. It can be restored to original in an afternoon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see nothing but an upside for you if they are really that desperate. They can blow that 12.5% up their you know what. That's their problem for selling you a non roadworthy vehicle.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
So this means car bought back can't be CPO-ed?
Then buying CPO should be more confident.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I would counter with purchase price plus 12.5% for selling you a lemon that they weren't supposed to sell at all (it's a lemon, even if you like it and it hasn't caused you any trouble yet-- or ever). It is 100% their fault, and even if you like the car you were put into considerable bother-- if not danger-- so why should you pay a penalty?

Alternatively, a straight trade for same model, year and mileage as your current, with B&W. They pay for any taxes and fees.

Second, I don't see how they can force you to sell. They can certainly try to get you to sign a waiver for anything that happens. If they do that, and you consider signing (I wouldn't) you really need to demand full legal disclosure on the car-- not the usual dealer b.s.

What does CPO even mean, if there is no C? At the very least, that doesn't look good.

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
$52.5k for a 2016? That's a great offer! Trade-in value is most likely in the $30s, its 4yrs old now. Have them put you into a 2017 or 2018 Inscription with same options and equipment plus the latest CPO warranty (5yr, unlimited milage) + 2yrs to equal your legacy 7yr warranty. Give them a chance to work something out for you, there are plenty of alternatives that should make this mistake right for you.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
LOL, oh brother. I tracked and caught so many dealers selling Volvo omni lemon world cars from Manheim and reselling them as "used" it wasn't even funny. Dean Team in STL were some of the worst offenders. I even had one of them lined up to sell me one then when I called them out they said they were being sold to an exporter.....yeah sure chief. 128 Volvo up in Jamookistan was another offender.
128 Volvo is no mo (if we are talking about the one in Mass). Absorbed by Volvo Village

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
That's good cause they were shady as ****.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll wait and see what happens... and will report back when I hear from them.

Honestly, there is no other car that I could get for $52.5k that I'd rather drive. We were looking at available inventory, but apparently T8 inscription w/ air suspension, b&w, tech package, heated steering wheel and blond interior in a car that's not black, white, or light silver (blue or grey are fine with me) are as rare as hens teeth.

Oh, and I guess the rugged package for the exterior is no longer available... :-/ I would miss it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What does Volvo USA (Corporate) have to say about this? Did they confirm the dealer's story? If Volvo will continue to honor the warranties you have in place, I don't see a downside to keeping it.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
I would trade them one up for the car you built on the website but otherwise I'd just keep the car you have and like. The dealer cannot force you to sell the car to them, you actually own the car!

Maybe Grecian Volvo who covers this region for Volvo can shed some light.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I get your loyalty to your vehicle, but part of me would really like to track down the root cause here. Why was the car not saleable? If just some minor gremlins that couldn't be ironed out for the original owner is one thing, but if attributable to a safety or major mechanical issue, that would give me pause (CPO or not). Since the dealer does not seem forthcoming, I would go to Volvo USA as I would think they would track such lemons or buybacks.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'll wait and see what happens... and will report back when I hear from them.

Honestly, there is no other car that I could get for $52.5k that I'd rather drive. We were looking at available inventory, but apparently T8 inscription w/ air suspension, b&w, tech package, heated steering wheel and blond interior in a car that's not black, white, or light silver (blue or grey are fine with me) are as rare as hens teeth.

Oh, and I guess the rugged package for the exterior is no longer available... :-/ I would miss it.
There are some T8 Inscription CPO cars listed nationwide, in various colors. Some of them could be fully loaded but I am almost sure they don't have the rugged package which is really rare.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
What does Volvo USA (Corporate) have to say about this? Did they confirm the dealer's story? If Volvo will continue to honor the warranties you have in place, I don't see a downside to keeping it.
Good question, Henry!
Contact Volvo as soon as possible. If any of the dealer's claims are legit, their pockets are deep enough to make you happy. If it's partially BS, they are in a position to provide other considerations, like extended warranties. If it's all completely phony, they can "counsel" the dealer. Even if the car never has any issues that make you unhappy, you should have peace of mind.
That said, I would be like you and continue to love the thing because it likes you, too!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with a lot of what has been said here. They can't force you to sell it back to them. If they really NEED it back like they claim, then they need to pay for their mistake. They can make it right if they are seriously in trouble about selling it to you. I lean towards what inteller said and they are just trying to get you to buy a different car.

You should be able to talk to Volvo USA about it to see if their story actually checks out. Dealers can be shady, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Just run a carfax on the car. If it doesnt show up as a lemon then the dealer is blowing smoke up your ass.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts