SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search with the parts guy at my local dealer and all he could come up with was plastic (I assume that's the black plastic I currently have) or wood. Thought I read or saw something about one of the models having aluminum trim pieces (maybe T5) on the doors? I know S.A.M. is listing aftermarket pieces on their web-site but I'd like to keep it OEM. Can any of you help?

Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
i'm almost positive the S60 does not come with aluminum inlays on any variant. there were some pictures early on that i saw but i believe they were of a europeean spec car. it would great with the spaceball if they did have it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In was sometime around mid-December that
Volvo production changed from wood-like
(plastic) trim to aluminum mesh-like trim
on doors and glovebox. This is on T5s. I'm
not sure if 2.4T/2.4 models retained wood
look---out of curiousity I'll go check.
Why the change is not known---maybe it was a supplier problem or maybe Volvo wanted to
do what MB C320 Sport version did---add
the alum mesh.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Aluminum trim would look awesome. I'm not big on the cheap plastic trim that is used on the XC and even the wood (as it is plastic isn't it?). Volvo ought to offer replacement trim in various finishes in their accessory lines. Real wood in different finishes, aluminum and carbon fiber would be really cool.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Unfortunatly, after the end of December, all of the S60 T5's come only with aluminum trim, so consumers really do not have a choice. But for $260 dollars plus labor, the aluminum trim can be changed to wood-effect trim. I am sure that pretty soon, your dealer will be able to order aluminum trim as a seperate part and install it in your car for both the 2.4 and 2.4T. Personally, I like the wood-effect trim. How about that wood-effect steering wheel and Sisal interior though? Nice combo huh?

-Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just two more cents on trim. They both look good. A comment on the wood trim---I/or friends were shopping various cars over a several month period before Christmas. I noticed that it was very difficult to
discern differences between real wood trim
and plastic look alike. A couple cases---
the well regarded Acura MDX SUV has plastic
wood trim that looks very much like the real
thing---I can't tell the difference looking
or touching---maybe only by scratching. The
MB C320 has real wood trim but it doesn't
look as wood-like as the S60's---go figure.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Freeworld,

If you order your car through TDS, you might be able to get your T5 with wood-effect trim, but I am not sure of this anymore. I know that you can have the aluminum trim changed to wood-effect trim once you get your car for about $260 plus labor. I am also dissapointed that Volvo does not offer two choices for interior trim anymore.

-Drew

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Freeworld,

You might also ask your dealer if they can find you a T5 that was built before they took off the wood-effect trim option.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'm not much for after market fit ups on any car because I believe the factory can always do things better the first time. Being a potential first time Volvo owner, what's the potential squeak/rattle factor in a Volvo if the dealer messes with the interior trim?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts