SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start this off by saying please leave the quality of DDM out of this, I am just trying to figure out where the issue lies.

I have had the 55w 5000k kit for my XC for about a year now. Occasionally, on start up the left hid would flicker off and I would get my left low beam bulb failure light. Restarting the car would fix the problem and no big issues. Recently, it has been doing it every start until about a week ago and the left side won't turn at all. I have a brand new set of DDM slim ballast and bulbs (I didn't like the big raptor ballasts so I ordered a second set) I installed the new set in the left side and it is doing the EXACT same thing as the old one. I don't know a whole lot about HID's but to me it seems like the bulb/ballast might be drawing too much power on start up. Is this a possibility? Would their relayed harness fix this? Also, if that is the issue how come I have never had an issue with the passenger side? Just more resistance in the Left side for some reason?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. I have done countless bulbs in Volvo's over the years and EVERY F&[email protected]#KING bulb in my XC is a pain in the asssss to do. #Endrant

·
Registered
281 Posts
The HIDs drawing too much power is what I was told caused the same problem you are experiencing after I installed HIDs in my 05 XC70. I have no clue what the solution is. I too had problems with the driver's (left) side start-up ten shut off followed by a and bulb-out warning that went away after restarting. At times it seemed if I let that HIDs warm up before starting the engine that they tended to come back on after starting teh engine but that was not a fool-proof solution.

oz

PS
Problem eventually resolved when teh 05 was totaled and I now drive a "no-mod allowed" 2009 XC70 with halogen lights and no remorse on this end.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, but looks like I still need to do some sleuthing around to figure this out. I'm sad not driving the volvo ever anymore but with work and school I leave when its dark and come home when it is dark so the volvo hasn't moved for weeks and the truck is on full duty :(

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The first shunt set a code and the circuit was shut down. Try battery disconnect for a a few hours and see if the light is back on after you re-connect the cable.
05 and later have transistorized switching of lights and if the circuit overloads it shuts down the circuit before the fuse blows. If it does it a couple of times it sets code and shuts circuit down.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried that, but nothing... I am going to have some time on tuesday to work on the car. I am planning to run through all of the fuses, install a relayed harness, and if nothing else works go back to halogen bulbs :(

(oh and if the halogen bulbs don't work I'll just burn the car down)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Figured I should chime in on this, I too have been dealing with this on my 03', same kit as yours and same problems. Eventually the left one went out and I contacted DDM they sent me new bulbs and I tried the shunt trick and it worked.. for 3 months and the same problem started back up again.

The only thing that I didn’t try is disabling the DRL to stop the pulse width modulation on the HID's which is what DDM said to do.

So I since removed the HID kit and I've gone back to the Osram Night breakers, which IMHO provide almost the same light output and don’t flicker...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks peter,

I really, really just like HID's. I would rather not go back to any halogen bulbs. Especially considering I now have two sets of the damn things. I appreciate your response. It just seems so weird to me that they would work great for over a year for me with just some flickers here and there but now the left side went out and won't come back no matter what I do. Even with a whole new set of wiring, ballast, and bulb??

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2012 Ford Raptor and the DDM lights in it. I was running the relayed harness too. I finally gave up and got a proper set of HID's and a relayed harness from The Retrofit Source. Of course since you are just using the headlight circuit to flip the relay you will have to add resistors to keep the "bad bulb"light from being on all the time. I believe I have an extra (new) DDM relay harness, if you want it let me know.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in the Relay harness. how exactly do they work just plug into the ballasts then to the bulbs and just have a relay inside with a ground?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
my HIDs in my S60 do the same thing, now the drivers side is out, and i havent ordered a new bulb yet. I had the same problem where it would shut off on start up, but cycling to the parking light to headlights did the trick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts