SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***********Cancelled due to lack of interest...************

The karts are built by JB Racing in Belgium and they're powered by 5.5HP 4-stroke Honda engines. They are not shifter carts, but they're pretty quick around the track once up to speed.

The track has 7 turns and a fast lap runs about 24-25 seconds. The outside is lined with a Tecpro barriers designed for kart racing. Each driver is given a full suit, gloves, and helmet for all racing. It really is a nice facility.

The format I had in mind requires a minimum of 12 people. It's called "sprint heat race" and each driver gets at least 5 races. The drivers are shuffled each race, so you should get to race against almost everyone, and you drive about every other race. Most people are tired by the last race, so a break between races is a good thing. The cost for this format is $60/person.

Early December seems like a good time. Reply if you're interested.

http://www.allsportsgp.com/

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: DC Area Go-Karting...Winter GTG? (towerymt)

Michael,

nice course! Much better than the typical consecutive "Ss" that you find in most indoor kart places.

$60 sounds pricey but I am willing to consider this if it is going to be help on a Sunday (since I do work on Saturdays)...

It was good meeting you, on Sunday!

Yannis

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: DC Area Go-Karting...Winter GTG? ([email protected])

I'll stop by the place on Friday and find out what dates are open. For a Sunday meeting, the best dates look to be Dec. 7 or 14 to fit between the holidays. I'll also find out how far in advance I need to make a reservation.

Any suggestions on a specific date?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I stopped by the track tonight and picked up the sign-up form. They need a minimum of one week notice to set a time, so let's throw out some dates and see what works for the most people.

December 7th works the best for me, but I'm open to almost any date.

As for the format, the "Sprint Heat Race" with a 12 person minimum (16 max) @ $60/person seems like the best choice for people who plan to drive a considerable distance to attend. The only less expensive option for non-members is "arrive & drive" @ $25, which gets you 10 minutes. Otherwise there's a Mini Grand Prix (8 person min.) that gets you a 25 lap qualifier and a 40 lap race @ $75, but that seems extreme.

They require a 100% non-refundable deposit at the time of registration. I was hoping to get more than 12 in case someone had to cancel.

Here's a preliminary (updated) list of those interested:
Michael (me)
Rob
Chris (brown '80 GT)
Kai
"Nos122S"
"anony00gt"
Dana (from t-bricks)

Brandon ("chopper")
Yannis (?)
George (?)
[email protected] (?)
[email protected] (?)

--------------------------

Update: I think we're over halfway there. If anyone else is interested for the Sunday the 15th of December, post or email me at [email protected] I'll talk to All Sports next week about the date, and then hopefully I can start collecting payment soon after to make the reservation. I'd like to reserve the spot as soon as there are 12 confirmed, so I'll find out if more can be added later. Thanks!

--------------------------

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts

Depending on the time, I'm in. Especially if Rob will be bringing his Caddy lowrider.

Seriously though, thank you for doing all the homework on this Michael. BTW, as Yannis is out of town, I'll throw in there that the dealer guys tend to not be able to make Saturday events. Also, you can probably count in Paul and Dave from VWvortex if we need people....heck they'd probably come along anyway.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

quote:

Depending on the time, I'm in. Especially if Rob will be bringing his Caddy lowrider.
You mean Chris with the 16v Caddy?

quote:

Seriously though, thank you for doing all the homework on this Michael. BTW, as Yannis is out of town, I'll throw in there that the dealer guys tend to not be able to make Saturday events. Also, you can probably count in Paul and Dave from VWvortex if we need people....heck they'd probably come along anyway.
I've wanted to do this for a while ever since my dad was raving about how much fun it was, so I'm happy to organize this because it's the only way I could get 12+ people together. http://********************/smile/emwink.gif I did notice Yannis say that Sunday was better for him, so we'll aim for a Sunday if at all possible, and resort to a Saturday if necessary. They're open from 12pm-10pm on Saturday and 12pm-8pm on Sunday.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I said I would be in earlier...but if December 7th is the date, I don't think I'll be home from school yet. Probably will the next weekend. Not that it's a big deal, but don't want to mess up the head count http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

[Modified by chopper, 11:47 PM 11-5-2002]

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: DC Area Go-Karting...Winter GTG? (The_one_n_only)

On the 7th, that weekend I will most likely be in Ohio (just found out, but it's not verified yet).

As for the Caddy, no, Rob ( Volvorules ) has a new project he's working on putting together (as if his two 240s aren't enough). It's a late '70's bright yellow Caddy that he and Chris (242 GT owner) are going to use to build a full on lowrider that'd make Snoop Dog proud.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I made a mistake with the dates, Sundays in December are 1, 8, 15, 22, & 29. The 8th or 15th seem like the two best weekends to fit between the holidays, so let's say Sunday, Dec. 15th as the possible date for now.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

quote:

As for the Caddy, no, Rob ( Volvorules ) has a new project he's working on putting together (as if his two 240s aren't enough). It's a late '70's bright yellow Caddy that he and Chris (242 GT owner) are going to use to build a full on lowrider that'd make Snoop Dog proud.
Wow, no kidding about having too many projects! I thought you meant Chris' little VW pickup truck (why is that called a caddy?), since I know you like VW's like a few of us around here.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: DC Area Go-Karting...Winter GTG? (chopper)

quote:

The 15th sounds pretty good to me. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif
Same here. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Yannis

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: DC Area Go-Karting...Winter GTG? (GrecianVolvo)

I'm going by the place tomorrow (Thursday) to check if the date is open. If it is, I'll send out an email requesting payments to be sent to me. I plan to hold the checks/money orders until I have received at least 12, then I'll officially reserve the date by paying for the event. Once that happens, you are in and it's non-refundable, unless you find someone to fill your spot.

thanks,
Michael

1 - 20 of 40 Posts