SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new V40 this week and the rep from the dealer told me to put the headlight switch all the way (12 o'clock) and just leave it there.<P>Does this mean that my headlights are on all the time while driving? How do the daytime running lights work? I have a suspicion that there's a photoelectric sensor that turns on the lights all the way. Or am I completely wrong?<P>When I turn the switch back to the 9 o'clock position the headlights don't look any different. When I look in the manual (honest I did it) the difference between the two postions is essentially the same according to the text.<P>I've found the manual that came with the car really lacking. Its thick but doesn't explain much. I'm trying to figure out if the temperature reading is the interior or the exterior of the car. Manual just doesn't say...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations on your new car... <P>There is no photoelectric sensor. The lights are on all the time. When the switch is in the 9 o'clock position you may notice that you can't toggle between lo and hi-beams. I turned my daytime running lights off because every light is on, and you burn out bulbs every 3'000 miles or so. Volvo is aware of this, so they cover bulbs under warranty, but who has time to run into the service department whenever a light goes out. Even with my daytime running lights turned off my dash lights remain on, which I find annoying, but what can one do... <P>As for the temperature gage... that's outside temp. When the temp drops below freezing, a little snowflake pops up to remind you just how cold it is. If only they had spent more time on cupholders.<P>Good luck with your car. Hope you have better luck with your brakes, AC, and turbo compressor than I did... that's a whole other post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
By the way, don't bother trying to disable them like the manual says. It doesn't work on our Canadian models. Also with the switch at 9 o'clock, pulling the turn signal arm will flash the high beams only. At 12, pull to turn on highs, pull again to turn off.<p>[This message has been edited by robertag (edited 06-25-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts