SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody,

i agree with you from turkey. i have a 2012 make year s60. it's daytime running lite in the right side is not working. i want to change it but, i don't know how to replacement. I couldn't find any information for it on the web. do I need to remove the front bumper for this? Is there any information about this?

thanks to everybody

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'll check on VIDA when I get a chance and will report back.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
To replace the running lights you will have to remove the front bumper, or (possibly) find a way to fish behind the bumper once you've removed the headlamps/grille/radiator shroud. The light housing is larger than what is visible on the outside.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/H5sAAOSwTxhcOECn/s-l225.jpg
It's do-able just removing the upper plastic clips and one side of fasteners in the wheel well, but it's a bit of a frustrating job. If Volvo hadn't buried the electrical plug down below, it could all be done just with the headlight out. The bumper cover removal is only necessary to access the blasted electrical connector. It's a monumentally stupid design decision.

Once tax season is over I'll finally have time to set up my guide and post it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's do-able just removing the upper plastic clips and one side of fasteners in the wheel well, but it's a bit of a frustrating job. If Volvo hadn't buried the electrical plug down below, it could all be done just with the headlight out. The bumper cover removal is only necessary to access the blasted electrical connector. It's a monumentally stupid design decision.

Reviving an older post, but do you have the guide to remove these lights? Is there a way to test them, or should I assume that if they both don't work then they have just died? Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Reviving an older post, but do you have the guide to remove these lights? Is there a way to test them, or should I assume that if they both don't work then they have just died? Thanks.
D'oh! I never got around to taking photos.

On 2012 cars, they only come on with the headlights - they are not separate DRLs like the facelifted models have. So most of the time on your 2012 car they should not be on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm referring to this pair of lights, between the headlight and the grille.

Both of mine never work at all. I assumed they come on during the day, as running lights, so as to not burn out the head lamps.
I have a 2012 S60 T6.
I'm also going to assume there may be some controller unit buried somewhere, since these are LED and shouldn't burn out that soon. I cannot find a fuse and the internets doesn't offer much advice.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm referring to this pair of lights, between the headlight and the grille.

Both of mine never work at all. I assumed they come on during the day, as running lights, so as to not burn out the head lamps.
I have a 2012 S60 T6.
I'm also going to assume there may be some controller unit buried somewhere, since these are LED and shouldn't burn out that soon. I cannot find a fuse and the internets doesn't offer much advice.
I know you're referring to those lights. Those lights only come on when the headlights or parking lights are manually switched on with the switch on the dash. There is no special controller for them and they are on the same fuse as the rest of the parking lights.

It is possible, however, that if your car ever had front end damage and the front bumper cover was removed, a less than through body shop might have forgotten to plug them back in and rather than removing the bumper cover again to connect them, just left them unplugged.

·
Registered
724 Posts
On our '16 V60CC:
headlight switch in on position, DRLs dim, in parking/side light position, DRLs bright; in Auto position, DRLs bright with headlights off, dim when they are on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
On our '16 V60CC:
headlight switch in on position, DRLs dim, in parking/side light position, DRLs bright; in Auto position, DRLs bright with headlights off, dim when they are on.
You have a post-facelift car. It has a different setup than the 2012 car being asked about.

2012 cars, like all other pre-facelift S/V60 variants, do not use the LEDs as DRLs. The 2012 cars just use the low beam headlights for the DRL, like all pre-facelift models. The LEDs on pre-facelift cars have only a single brightness level (they do not dim) and they come on with the parking lights and headlights but do not operate independently.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You have a post-facelift car. It has a different setup than the 2012 car being asked about.

2012 cars, like all other pre-facelift S/V60 variants, do not use the LEDs as DRLs. The 2012 cars just use the low beam headlights for the DRL, like all pre-facelift models. The LEDs on pre-facelift cars have only a single brightness level (they do not dim) and they come on with the parking lights and headlights but do not operate independently.
Thanks for the clarification. I suspected there might have been changes which is why I posted the way I did.

·
Registered
735 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected there might have been changes which is why I posted the way I did.
Honestly, it would have been a better idea if they'd used the LEDs on the pre-facelift cars for DRLs. Still not sure why they didn't.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Honestly, it would have been a better idea if they'd used the LEDs on the pre-facelift cars for DRLs. Still not sure why they didn't.
True. They could have made them shine bright as DRLs then dim down when the headlights came on.
One of the many things they missed with that S60 just like no auto-on headlights like later on.
BTW, I'm very happy with the LED DRLs I got from IPD a few years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know you're referring to those lights. Those lights only come on when the headlights or parking lights are manually switched on with the switch on the dash. There is no special controller for them and they are on the same fuse as the rest of the parking lights.

It is possible, however, that if your car ever had front end damage and the front bumper cover was removed, a less than through body shop might have forgotten to plug them back in and rather than removing the bumper cover again to connect them, just left them unplugged.
I will have to crawl under there this weekend because they don't work at all. At first glance it does not appear that the bumper has even been off the S60.
I also have a 2012 XC60 T6 and those same lights are not working either. That car may have had its bumper off, after the dealer put a dent in the front left quarter panel when she was in for some mechanical work. They did use a reputable shop certified to repair Volvos, but anything could have happened.

·
Registered
735 Posts

I will have to crawl under there this weekend because they don't work at all. At first glance it does not appear that the bumper has even been off the S60.
I also have a 2012 XC60 T6 and those same lights are not working either. That car may have had its bumper off, after the dealer put a dent in the front left quarter panel when she was in for some mechanical work. They did use a reputable shop certified to repair Volvos, but anything could have happened.
Sadly, you can't get at them from under the car. You have to remove the bumper cover, at least partially.

Some advice: Do not try to unbolt only a couple places and then manhandle the bumper cover to get at the connectors. Take the time to remove most of the bolts/plastic rivets and have a second person with you to help with holding the bumper cover in place so it doesn't just flop down. The plastic rivets along the top of the bumper cover between the headlights can be released by pressing down on the center and then pulling the full rivet out. (IPD says to pry up the center bit, but they are wrong - it's much easier to just press the center bit down which does the same thing).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the tips zenmervolt. I think I should purchase a set of lights before I begin pulling the bumper off, I have a feeling they both went bad. I can always return them. I'll reply back when this is complete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow lights are $125 each. Time to rethink this.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wow lights are $125 each. Time to rethink this.
I used aftermarket replacements from TYC when I did mine. They were $70 each and I can't tell the difference between them and the OE Volvo ones (other than that the new TYC lights didn't have stone cracks 😄 ).

It looks like IPD stopped selling them, but you can probably find them on places like carpart.com and Rock Auto.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts