SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is frustrated with the XC and it's only Day 2.

First, she couldn't figure out how to setup the third row seat for this kids this morning and then she locked the one key we have inside the XC.

The XC locks all the doors when driving so when she hit the button, she thought she was unlocking it but it locked the driver's door. Hopefully this can be removed via a software update or setting in the vehicle.

The previous owner has not returned the second key and valet key yet so the XC is going no where until we get another key. :(

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dealer sent a porter to get the keys - should be operational again in an hour.

I found the instructions how to disable the auto lock feature on this page: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_xc90/07xc90_05.htm

Activating/deactivating automatic locking
- Turn the ignition key to position I or II.
- Press the READ button on the left-side steering wheel lever to erase any messages that may be displayed in the information display.
- Depress the central locking button on the control panel until a new message about the locking status is displayed.

The message AUTOLOCK ON (the doors will be locked when the vehicle begins to move) or AUTOLOCK OFF will be displayed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
interesting on the difficulty of locking keys in the vehicle.

On my 06, there were a few times when I wanted to intentionally lock the keys with the engine running - for example, to get the A/C going in the morning while i'm still finishing up in the house.

I found it was nearly impossible to lock the keys in the car. To lock the keys in the car, I had to roll the window down, close the door, lock the car by reaching through the window and hitting the button, and then use the auto-up function to lock it.

I'm curious to hear how your wife was able to lock the keys in the car.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She pulled into the garage, **** off the XC put the keys in the center console, opened the driver's door, unlocking it. Proceeded to the rear door, still locked, reopened driver door, hit the button once relocking the driver door, shut the door and that's was it.

Back in 2003, I remember when we got our 1st XC90 and we did not like the removal of the toggle lock button that was on the '98-00 S/V70s. We have a '00 V70XC and the toggle lock/unlock button. For the XC90, you need to hit the lock button twice if you want to unlock the rear doors, if you open the driver door first.

It's a user interaction behavior that we will need to relearn, not that it's a UI issue with the XC90 ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts
And that right there is maybe the STUPIDEST thing about the XC90, why on earth would you not include a door unlock button? The double press to unlock the doors is incredibly frustrating.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
You can get it programmed to lock and unlock (all) with a single press. It is a user preference setting set by the dealer on delivery when you buy the vehicle, but it can also be done later on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know your pain. I did the same thing the FIRST day I had my XC90. I had just driven into the garage and had both sets of keys on the console. I got out and found the rear door locked and hit lock/unlock button on the drivers door and shut it.

Like mentioned above the best thing to do is have the auto locks where when you press the unlock button on the remote or hit the lock/unlock button on the drivers door that it unlocks all the doors. I still have not done this, because my wife does not like unlocking all the doors at one time, feeling someone might jump in on the other side. What I did was to hid the valet key which I have in a plastic holder with magnets and have it attached to the silver gravel shield on the front of the car. IT is a screwed up design and the XC 60 do not have it this way.

Also, according to the warranty you have 6 mos for the dealer to set/reset these personal options.

One other thing for Pengc99, if the key is left in the ignition this will not happen.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I know your pain. I did the same thing the FIRST day I had my XC90. I had just driven into the garage and had both sets of keys on the console. I got out and found the rear door locked and hit lock/unlock button on the drivers door and shut it.

Like mentioned above the best thing to do is have the auto locks where when you press the unlock button on the remote or hit the lock/unlock button on the drivers door that it unlocks all the doors. I still have not done this, because my wife does not like unlocking all the doors at one time, feeling someone might jump in on the other side. What I did was to hid the valet key which I have in a plastic holder with magnets and have it attached to the silver gravel shield on the front of the car. IT is a screwed up design and the XC 60 do not have it this way.

Also, according to the warranty you have 6 mos for the dealer to set/reset these personal options.

One other thing for Pengc99, if the key is left in the ignition this will not happen.
Mine is currently sitting outside, running in the driveway, with the only key locked inside... Waiting for AAA truck to get here...

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Mine is currently sitting outside, running in the driveway, with the only key locked inside... Waiting for AAA truck to get here...
Is there an Iguana running around in it with the AC on ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would say you should go and make a VALET key just a blank that can unlock the door and keep that somewhere in the house or hid it somewhere under the vehicle. That way if this ever happens you are not stranded.

This reminds me I need to take my dummy key and go hide it somewhere on the vehicle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
And that right there is maybe the STUPIDEST thing about the XC90, why on earth would you not include a door unlock button? The double press to unlock the doors is incredibly frustrating.
It's not just the XC90, my 01 V70 also has just one button. I've never seen a car with only one button for locks before.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
S66NNP/NE66P key blank (non-transponder), get one cut at your local locksmith and leave somewhere on your car.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah. I think the key blank idea is good. This would be a good time to make sure my key works in the door lock... LOL

Here's the weird part: after the tow truck driver got in, I tested the locks with the key in the ignition, and with it running. In either circumstance, the lock would pop back up, no matter if I used the lock button or manually pushed it down. How it managed to lock on its own remains a mystery. Is it possible the cold weather played a part? It was about 36º yesterday morning.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's not just the XC90, my 01 V70 also has just one button. I've never seen a car with only one button for locks before.
BMW was/is known for having one lock button in the center stack. I hate it in my X5. My XC60s were nice and normal with the lock buttons though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
BMW was/is known for having one lock button in the center stack. I hate it in my X5. My XC60s were nice and normal with the lock buttons though.
My last BMW locked all the doors when you pushed the driver's door lock button, the one that sticks up by the window, and you couldn't push it down if the door was open.

I had a Golf that had door locks that were acting up. I started researching the problem and found that there are microswitches that sense when the door is latched. According to one article this is/was one failure mode in which it would not allow the door to unlock and the driver could be trapped in the car.

Gotta love technology.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I had an '05 Passat with a door lock module problem. I forget exactly what it was doing, but I bought a cheap aftermarket replacement on eBay for $25. It did the trick, though it didn't work quite the same as the original. To open the door when it was locked, I had to pull the handle 2 times. First unlocked the door, second opened it. PITA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's weird. I tried it on my XC just now and it won't lock! It pops right back up when you try to lock it using the unlock button. But mine is an old 2004 one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Mine hasn't done it since, either. Definitely an anomaly. I'm going to check it again when the temps drop near freezing again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts