SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 XC90 that I purchased in October. I thought it was supposed to have some data link, but nothing I can find. There's was weather app that didn't work, as well as a message on sensus that car couldn't update its software.

So on my service visit with dealer a couple weeks ago to fix a back up camera that would intermittently stop working, I asked them why I have no data connection in the car. They told me "oh, you have to tether it to your phone." So I did tether to my iPhone and my weather App works.

However, I am reading on this forum that the XC90 is suppose to have its own hotspot (independent of my phone). My car clearly doesn't.

What gives...? Is my dealer wrong? Is there something that needs to be activated?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Are you in the US, Europe, elsewhere? Data feature varies by location. If the US, then you should have data for the first 6 months free. Have you checked the settings to see if you turned the internal car modem feature on? Also, some people discovered the SIM card installed backwards in their cars and had to fix it. It's located, counter-intuitively, in the back right side of the car. If you are in the US, weird that your dealer suggested you tether to your phone (though that is another option).

Weather app can't work without a data connection. None of the internal apps do. Other than the apps themselves, Volvo has never activated the capacity to remote update the Sensus software or maps so you don't need a data connection for those anyway.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have a 2016 XC90 that I purchased in October. I thought it was supposed to have some data link, but nothing I can find. There's was weather app that didn't work, as well as a message on sensus that car couldn't update its software.

So on my service visit with dealer a couple weeks ago to fix a back up camera that would intermittently stop working, I asked them why I have no data connection in the car. They told me "oh, you have to tether it to your phone." So I did tether to my iPhone and my weather App works.

However, I am reading on this forum that the XC90 is suppose to have its own hotspot (independent of my phone). My car clearly doesn't.

What gives...? Is my dealer wrong? Is there something that needs to be activated?
Go to Settings -- Communications -- Vehicle Modem Internet
You can then activate your hotspot, change the access point name, password etc.
There's been some reports here that the SIM has been installed backwards - so if you don't get online, check that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts