SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC60
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 XC-60. Being retired I just drive a little. Part of that driving is to the dog park. There are 2 iffy intersections. I've almost been nailed a few times. I wanted a dashcam that wasn't expensive. I also hate dangling wires. The local shops quoted $200 to install and wire a dashcam, not including hardware. I found this on Aliexpress. The price was $79.00 including shipping and it arrived in about 3 weeks. It piggybacks the rearview mirror power. It's not very fancy. No GPS. The app is nothing special. But it gives me the protection I wanted. It took about 5 minutes to install.
Hand Land vehicle Tire Shoe Automotive lighting

White Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Where is the power coming from?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Zaxdad

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks very similar to the FITCAMX
I was going to order one but until Volvo fixed the battery drain issue I rather not mess with it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
FWIW
Seems to be installed where the radar module is, I would not put it there, there are statements about the Sesnsus module not to have anything in that area.

Do not place, affix or mount anything on the inside or outside of the windshield, or in front of or around the camera and radar unit – this could disrupt camera-based functions.

2018 V90 CC T6 P*

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I have that dash cam for over 6 months now, everything been normal with no issues at all. It comes with a connector to the rain sensor, just when installing it make sure all the extra cables goes behind the module similar as the it was installed in there before unplugging.

Gesture Font Fashion accessory Toy Cable
Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Gas Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a 2018 XC-60. Being retired I just drive a little. Part of that driving is to the dog park. There are 2 iffy intersections. I've almost been nailed a few times. I wanted a dashcam that wasn't expensive. I also hate dangling wires. The local shops quoted $200 to install and wire a dashcam, not including hardware. I found this on Aliexpress. The price was $79.00 including shipping and it arrived in about 3 weeks. It piggybacks the rearview mirror power. It's not very fancy. No GPS. The app is nothing special. But it gives me the protection I wanted. It took about 5 minutes to install.
Do you have a link to what you bought?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of plugging into any existing Volvo electronics. I'm particularly cautious of ordering anything from Aliexpress. It's largely China sourced counterfeit items, which should worry anyone, especially with electronics. Battery drain is the least of the potential issues with a counterfeit electronic item plugging into a $50k+ car.

We've used the VAVA 2k dual dash cam for over 1.5 years on the front windshield of both our XC90's:

They have been great for what we need. My father in law, also retired, bought it and installed it on his Q8. Works well with how little driving he drives.

I recently installed the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 on both of our XC90 rear windows too.

It's cheap insurance and both companies have great customer service. Driving 5 minutes is the potential difference of a life changing event.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 XC60 Polestar Engineered | Crystal White
207 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of plugging into any existing Volvo electronics. I'm particularly cautious of ordering anything from Aliexpress. It's largely China sourced counterfeit items, which should worry anyone, especially with electronics. Battery drain is the least of the potential issues with a counterfeit electronic item plugging into a $50k+ car.

We've used the VAVA 2k dual dash cam for over 1.5 years on the front windshield of both our XC90's:

They have been great for what we need. My father in law, also retired, bought it and installed it on his Q8. Works well with how little driving he drives.

I recently installed the Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 on both of our XC90 rear windows too.

It's cheap insurance and both companies have great customer service. Driving 5 minutes is the potential difference of a life changing event.

All it's doing is drawing power from the rear-view mirror dimmer or rain sensor. I wouldn't exactly stress over it, especially when that VAVA dashcam is made on practically the same assembly lines as similar devices.

VAVA is the brand name of Guangdong SACA Precision Manufacturing, FYI. A company that pumps out generic devices with generic designs that are re-sold and re-branded worldwide, yet you happily plugged it into the 12V outlet rail. 😄

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
All it's doing is drawing power from the rear-view mirror dimmer or rain sensor. I wouldn't exactly stress over it, especially when that VAVA dashcam is made on practically the same assembly lines as similar devices.

VAVA is the brand name of Guangdong SACA Precision Manufacturing, FYI. A company that pumps out generic devices with generic designs that are re-sold and re-branded worldwide, yet you happily plugged it into the 12V outlet rail.

VAVA is the brand name of Guangdong SACA Precision Manufacturing, FYI. A company that pumps out generic devices with generic designs that are re-sold and re-branded worldwide, yet you happily plugged it into the 12V outlet rail.
A clue would be to see grammatical errors on the advertisements for the product. Similar to any spam email, text message, etc. The typical message where "do not click on this" should be an appropriate response. It's not hard to spot these glaring red flags on the OP's set up on AliExpress. Or many other suppliers on that app.

Having a company that backs its products from the United States (Fremont, CA), offers 24 hour support, software updates, and a decent app helps the cause. Not unlike the device you're likely accessing Swedespeed from .

Good luck with that "Jabriel" thing though that you plug into Volvo's specific power outlet. Would be a shame if the plug was manufactured incorrectly since the quality is a guessing game.

Out of curiosity, what electronic devices does a 12v outlet supply on the car?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Ultrarunner - thanks for all of this. How are you powering those devices?

PS In some countries, they are actually selling an official Volvo dashcam.

It's just routed into the 12v chargers (front and rear) through Anker USB adapters. The 12v chargers don't power any other accessories in the car and are designed for this. It won't risk a Volvo feature failing or risk damaging a factory accessory plug. Not willing to hard wire anything at this point for similar reasons.

I've seen that advertisement from Volvo! I can't find it now, however. It's not listed on the accessories from what I was looking through. Definitely appears to be a different camera than the OP's, but same concept nonetheless. I wonder why it's not offered in the North America market. Some European countries have restrictions on the use of dash cams

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Here, in CA, its actually technically illegal to even stick a cam in the middle of a front dash window!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Here, in CA, its actually technically illegal to even stick a cam in the middle of a front dash window!

Yeah, that is interesting on California's restrictions. Scroll to #13 and they are allowed on the windshield. But there are restrictions on the size and where it needs to be mounted. The statute sounds like it can only record and store during an emergency event (30 seconds before and after...??). Not sure I'm reading that correctly. You also need to have something affixed stating passengers may be recorded?

If the 30 second recording limit is correct and absolute, I'm sure that is helpful when you're calling in a DUI, or there's some crazy road rage shooting or hit and run, or you're being followed, or you get car jacked, or you're pulled over by law enforcement, or any other number of easy examples. I drive to California from Arizona commonly and will happily accept a ticket for violating that camera restriction . Might even make the trip for court to fight that one

Edit: I have to play attorney and it looks like 30 seconds is only from a triggering event. They're allowed for a triggering event "or when operated by the driver to monitor driver performance." So there's no limit.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Fwiw, never enforced. Literally, never.

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Fwiw, never enforced. Literally, never.
I figured that's the case. I'm not at all worried driving to California with our cams technically not in the correct place per their law. Heck, we don't have front license plates and have dark tint on the front side windows . I'm happy to explain the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law here in Arizona. But I'll also accept the ticket and give it a go in court.

There are far worse things... like California drivers being exempt from the laws of physics . Just kidding, mostly.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Not sure OP's model, but you don't want cameras with lithium batteries, which are found in cheaper models. These batteries degrade over time, do not withstand heat well, and will end up causing corrupted video when they die. Models that are higher end utilize a supercapacitor. Why is this important?

When your camera is recording, it needs a power source for a few seconds to properly exit the last file being written upon power loss. Lithium batteries do not handle heat well and degrade significantly over time, before completely dying. When this battery dies, and the camera is turned off for any reason, the last file being written cannot exit properly without a power source. Leading to corruption of the last file being written prior to shutdown.

Supercapacitors are more expensive, found in higher end cameras, are far more weather resistant to hot and cold, and have a much longer shelf life. These supercapacitors are durable and rarely die unless there's a defect in the product. Meaning far less chances of the camera corrupting data, since these supercapacitors will generally function long term, ensuring the last file being written upon power loss is proper exited.

FitcamX states it supports parking mode. Also, you get the potential for a rear camera. The literature from Fitcam is very vague and poor.

Parking Mode

When parking, once the car is subjected to a strong collision, the camera will automatically turn on to record a video and lock it.This function is available only when the camera is powered through the fuse box or OBD (Hardwire Kit). Some models also have this feature when powered from the rain fall sensor or the interior light. It depends on whether the source from which the power is drawn provides continuous power when the car is parked.

From what I read, the camera utilizes a G-Sensor but it doesn't state what type of parking mode is supported. Types of Parking Modes

1 Buffered Parking Mode (Event Based) - isn't real time recording per say. The camera is running but isn't storing data beyond X seconds of buffer. With buffered parking mode, the camera only activates if the G-Sensor is triggered by a sufficient amount of force dependent upon whether sensitivity is set to high or low. So let's say you're in a parking lot and I back into your car. A camera with buffered parking mode will save X seconds before and after impact to provide you with a real time log of what happened. Of course, the downfall is that events leading up to the accident may not be fully captured if the buffered time (seconds recorded) prior to the incident is not set to a reasonable limit (30 seconds before, 1 minute before, etc) by manufacturer.

2. Motion Detection. Some higher end cameras like blackvue and thinkware allow you to set a grid so that every bit of movement doesn't trigger the camera. Also sensitivity is usually adjustable.Both utilize time lapse. Examples of how this works.

Blackvue: Time Lapse Parking Mode allows your dashcam to continuously record at 1FPS (one frame per second). Videos are played back at 30FPS. Each one-minute video recorded covers a 30-minute period.

Thinkware:

In order to maximize parking mode footage, Time Lapse reduces video file sizes by stitching together photos instead of videos. This results in the dash cam recording in 2 frames per second with no audio. Time Lapse videos result in a 10 minute period that is condensed into a 15 second video file.

3. Low Bitrate - Cameras like Street Guardian and Viofo utilize low bitrate recording. This is the absolute best of the best. Your camera records at 30 frames per second real time while parked. It runs off a hardwire (always on fuse) and is triggered when the accessory fuse (fuse active only active when car is running) turns off with ignition. To save space, these cameras record at a lesser bitrate (quality) sufficient enough to capture low action scenes like a car backing into you or a person keying your car. The images are crystal clear and the camera automatically records the entire time while the car is parked until the battery triggers it to shut off (voltage cutoff) if it's been parked too long. Saving your battery from being drained.

Without having the literature on OP's Cam or FitcamX it's hard to give much info on what these models utilize.

One last note:

A lot of cheaper cameras "upscale". They'll claim 4K but it's really 1080p re-encoded to 2 or 4K and not true 2 or 4k.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good summary, myvolvos60. There are a lot of subtle things about dashcam functions and lmitations, and you’ve described several of the most important.

When I read the OP it made me wonder what one gets for $79. Does it actually provide basic protection or is it so de-featured that in a real-world incident will it fail to get the job done? OTOH I wound up getting a Blackvue and it cost over four hundred bucks, and that sort of expense won’t put a smile on many faces, mine included. So, I dunno, danged if you do, danged if you don’t. In the end I made a choice out of an abundance of caution, trying to provide a decent level of protection in all of the various scenarios for a very expensive vehicle. I even went further, installing a Verizon wifi hotspot that operates off the starting battery, so that I have the ability see in real time, any time, what’s going on around the car. There is no right answer, just a matter of what sort of insurance policy a person prefers.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Good summary, myvolvos60. There are a lot of subtle things about dashcam functions and lmitations, and you’ve described several of the most important.

When I read the OP it made me wonder what one gets for $79. Does it actually provide basic protection or is it so de-featured that in a real-world incident will it fail to get the job done? OTOH I wound up getting a Blackvue and it cost over four hundred bucks, and that sort of expense won’t put a smile on many faces, mine included. So, I dunno, danged if you do, danged if you don’t. In the end I made a choice out of an abundance of caution, trying to provide a decent level of protection in all of the various scenarios for a very expensive vehicle. I even went further, installing a Verizon wifi hotspot that operates off the starting battery, so that I have the ability see in real time, any time, what’s going on around the car. There is no right answer, just a matter of what sort of insurance policy a person prefers.
Blackvue cameras take a different approach to security. They utilize an LTE Modem (with a sim card) that allows videos to be uploaded to the cloud. I believe in 720x480 (dvd quality). I also believe you can remote into the camera and view live footage from anywhere at anytime so long as the camera is running (hardwire while parked). One of the reasons for the 480p quality is because of file size. So you're getting a "lower quality" cloud backup and not the true 1080p or 4k. Useful for checking in on your vehicle.

Blackvue also stores the original file on an SD card that can be downloaded or watched without any downsampling of the video (true 1080, 2k, 4k).

Downside of Blackvue:

Blackvue cameras support

Time Lapse (per the above 1 FPS) where 1 minute of video = 30 minutes of actual time
Motion Detection with Buffered Parking Mode - If someone hits your car, X seconds before and the event itself is saved

Real time 30 FPS is absent from Blackvue and Thinkware Cameras.

Another Approach:

Viofo or Street guardian, you get 30 frames which is real time motion. Of course, you have a memory card filled with a ton of crap while parked and have to sort through these videos if the G-Sensor wasn't triggered to "save that video" in the secure folder. So for instance if someone keyed your car, you are stuck watching tons of videos to find the incident. However, you are guaranteed to have captured the entire event and the aftermath.

Another benefit, say something happened in the parking lot. You're recording every event in front (and if a rear camera) in back of the car. And if a 3 Channel, the interior of the vehicle, and out the windows at all times.

Downside to Viofo and Street Guardian

Viofo Cameras run hot. While the A129 (2 Channel) / A139 (3 Channel( supports Station Mode (allows you to connect the camera to an access point / hotspot), there is not built in LTE modem. On the A129, running WIfi all the time causes the video quality to be lessened and also generates lots of heat. On the 139 3 channel, if you live in a hot climate in the direct sun, the camera can reach it's Thermal Max and freeze / power off to protect it's components from damage. Running Station Mode at all times obviously heats up the processor.

Some hobbyists have done inventive things with their Viofos. Such as setting up a raspberry pi with internet via wifi, and having the Viofo Cameras send video to the raspberry pie for "remote viewing" of files. Others have set their cameras to automatically connect to their home networks and those networks to automatically download the camera's videos off the SD card when within range of the given hotspot.

Again, since the Viofo wasn't built with LTE / Cloud in mind, these are different approaches some people have taken. However, if you live in a hot climate, running the Viofo as an Access Point at all times may lead to the camera power off on a hot day in an enclosed car without windows cracked.

Honestly, I just run my Viofo's with parking mode. Don't enable Access point. I find 30 FPS parking mode with real time recording more beneficial than remote viewing as my car acts like a 24/7 surveillance camera while parked.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts