SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

Our CPO Volvo XC90 Inscription (leather dashboard) that we've owned for about 2 years now has significant warping on the passenger side dashboard. It is currently at the dealer being looked over and taken care of which I hope (I really hope) will be covered under the cars warranty. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warping? Any pictures? I've done a few but not for warping.
Unfortunately I do not have pics, but it is literal warping, from the b-pillar to about 12 inches towards the driver side. That entire area is standing up, and has "wrinkles". I hope I do not have the opportunity to upload pics, as its at the dealer right now...hopefully getting fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got a quote of 5000CAD for dashboard since Volvo Canada considers it a trim piece and told me even for new vehicle it only has one year warranty...

·
Registered
409 Posts
So common on new Volvos. Just fight with Volvo to have it replaced by them. I hope they help you out with at least a goodwill.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "so common on new Volvo's". There is a TJ for the leather separating, which could look like warping, but the last model year it pertained to was 2017.

·
Registered
3 Posts
our 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription had an issue where the passenger side of the dashboard had a "hump" in it. It looked like the dash pad had settled around the passenger airbag making it protrude a little bit. We did not get the leather dashboard cover in ours. The dealership replaced the dash under warranty and the brand new one is doing the same thing the day they installed it. We went and looked at several other new XC90's on the dealer lot and they all had that slight hump.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2016 XC90 Inscription, purchased new, had the same issue on the passenger side. Apparently, they were not using enough clue. Mine started to separate a couple of years after ownership. It was replaced under warranty. I would expect your CPO warranty would also cover it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
our 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription had an issue where the passenger side of the dashboard had a "hump" in it. It looked like the dash pad had settled around the passenger airbag making it protrude a little bit. We did not get the leather dashboard cover in ours. The dealership replaced the dash under warranty and the brand new one is doing the same thing the day they installed it. We went and looked at several other new XC90's on the dealer lot and they all had that slight hump.
Are you referencing where the air bag deploys? There is a small bit of imperfection on the 2017's dash, which is likely pre-cut/weakened area for the air bag to deploy. Almost not noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2016 XC90 Inscription, purchased new, had the same issue on the passenger side. Apparently, they were not using enough clue. Mine started to separate a couple of years after ownership. It was replaced under warranty. I would expect your CPO warranty would also cover it.
I'm glad to hear it. This actually started with the a bump as well that got greater over time. Now the whole passenger side is deformed. I am actually relieved I did not receive a phone call yet, because it has been 2 days and they likely would have called me to authorize the repair. An oil change shouldn't take two days I am guessing...just gotta pray now.

As a side note, does anyone have any problems engine-wise? I know I may sound a bit overreactive but the T6 is a little hesitant under hard acceleration. They replaced an O2 sensor a year ago and that fixed the problem a bit, but not by much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from my dealer, and I am honestly shocked to hear that Volvo covered it all under goodwill!! A $4500 part and $625 of labor good-willed from Volvo...for free even though the car is well out of warranty! This is my first positive experience from my dealer to be honest, I have had some haggles with them in the past. I couldn't be happier with Volvo! I was not expecting this response, as they said my CPO warranty does not cover this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got back from my dealer, and I am honestly shocked to hear that Volvo covered it all under goodwill!! A $4500 part and $625 of labor good-willed from Volvo...for free even though the car is well out of warranty! This is my first positive experience from my dealer to be honest, I have had some haggles with them in the past. I couldn't be happier with Volvo! I was not expecting this response, as they said my CPO warranty does not cover this.
Wow. Looks like US counterparts are more willing to goodwill than Canadian ones. (Had similar experience with Lexus as well, where Lexus Canada's service is significantly worse than Lexus USA, not sure why. Also Volvo CPO warranty for Canada market is only valid in Canada, where in the US it is valid in Canada and USA). Maybe I should push back when I eventually have some free time. Got quoted for similar price, didn't realize the dashboard is peeling when I took delivery of the CPO in August 2020. Car is delivered Sept 2016 so it was only out of original warranty by kms but not years. Volvo Canada claims it's a trim piece and only has 1 year warranty since original delivery and is unwilling to do anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you referencing where the air bag deploys? There is a small bit of imperfection on the 2017's dash, which is likely pre-cut/weakened area for the air bag to deploy. Almost not noticeable.

It is in that area but it looked like an area maybe a bit larger than a deck of cards was pushing up on the dash pad. It had protruded about 1/8th inch in ours.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It is in that area but it looked like an area maybe a bit larger than a deck of cards was pushing up on the dash pad. It had protruded about 1/8th inch in ours.
I'll take a picture of our 2017 to see if it's the same thing. I can see it with the right lighting and shade. It's definitely the area where the airbag deploys, so I didn't really take any issue with it. The dash on the 2017 is the standard material - not the leather wrapped dash. Our 2021 has the leather wrapped dash and does not have any imperfections.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is exactly the way our one started out as. I has only gotten worse since. I would recommend having your dealer take a look if its under warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a leather around the distance heads up light unit that was coming apart, exposing the foam underneath. The portion coming apart was around 4-5 inches so quite noticeable. I was still under the new car warranty and the dealer replaced the entire dashboard. Keep fighting to push for goodwill. I had another issue fixed under goodwill and the dealer told me to keep pushing Volvo to fix it so unfortunately, it's on you, the owner, to keep up the fight.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a leather around the distance heads up light unit that was coming apart, exposing the foam underneath. The portion coming apart was around 4-5 inches so quite noticeable. I was still under the new car warranty and the dealer replaced the entire dashboard. Keep fighting to push for goodwill. I had another issue fixed under goodwill and the dealer told me to keep pushing Volvo to fix it so unfortunately, it's on you, the owner, to keep up the fight.

Good luck.
:D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Volvo is really a good company, and I've seen then care for customers time and time again. Early dashes were prone to do this due to manufacturing issues, and Volvo knows the expense for a customer to do this on their own. It makes the brand look terrible, and eyesore on a component you stare at 100% of the time you are in the car. I'm glad Volvo covered this for you, but I'm not surprised. It's nice when people share the good stories, not just the bad. I'd encourage you to write a thank you to both the dealer and Volvo....acts of gratitude like that do not go unnoticed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts