SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a rattle coming from the inside center of my dash. I don’t think it’s the dash itself, rather something under/in it. It almost sounds like a loose board.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
My car has an occasional dashboard rattle coming from the left corner, but nothing from the center.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I’ve got a rattle coming from the inside center of my dash. I don’t think it’s the dash itself, rather something under/in it. It almost sounds like a loose board.

Anyone ever have this problem?

Yes!! Drove me absolutely nuts till I found out where it was coming from. I never found a great fix, but was able to minimize it by pushing a piece of high density foam in between the windshield and the dash near the center.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
behind the centre speaker there is a single bolt that hold the dash in place against frame. On my S60, the dash bracket had completing cracked causing dash to rattle with every bump. I fixed using some washers and a replacement bolt IIRC.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
behind the centre speaker there is a single bolt that hold the dash in place against frame. On my S60, the dash bracket had completing cracked causing dash to rattle with every bump. I fixed using some washers and a replacement bolt IIRC.

Ok I’ll take a look. Any trick to getting that speaker grille out?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is that I have bent the dash plastic on both my vehicles when popping off the cover so I would suggest using pry tools on the side not front. Also, the speaker cover has two pieces that are not meant to come apart. Just make sure the pry tool goes under both. Mesh is first part and plastic frame is second part. See pic of annoying dent below.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have been hearing that rattle in my VR off and on for years. Just last week it got a bit worse and I noted that the forward edge of the dash slightly contacts the windshield, causing the rattle noise when I go over rough roads. I thought about inserting a "cushion" between the dash and windshield. I still need to decide what to use for the cushion - it needs to be something that will stay in place and not be too visible.
maybe I will try to get the speaker grille off and see if I tightening that bolt fixes it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts