SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My V90 is having this weird problem where if the headlight switch is in the parking light position, the dash/instrument panel lights work fine. However, if the headlights are in the on position, the headlights are on but everything goes dark. Radio still works, dome lights still turn on, high beam is fine. Battery is less than a year old as well.

Preliminary research leads me to believe that this is a failed headlight switch, but the site I found said their high beams were dead. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
With headlights ON be sure the dash lights dimmer is max bright then work the flasher/high beam lever to see if the dash lights respond.

Does the ignition key ring have other objects hanging on it?

George Dill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bad head light switch. You can try turning the ignition back a little after starting it but I think the internals of the switch is bad. Mine was falling apart inside and I had to take it apart and super glue a few parts of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever fix your lights? I just bought my first Volvo, used 1998 V90. So I have some questions similar to this problem, if my car is behaving normally.
When I have my lights switch all the way left in the 0 position the headlights are ON, dash lights are off. Isn't this the off position?
When I switch to the middle running lights position. Headlights go off and running light/dash lights are the only thing on. This seems to be behaving normally.
Lastly when they are in the what I think is the ON position the headlights go back on and dash lights etc like it should.

So the headlights go on in two positions and there is no way to drive without them on unless I use my running lights. Is that normal? I'm just having a lot of weird electrical experiences with this car so i'm trying to figure out what's suppose to happen. Other weird problems are the heated seats not working (heat lights go on though). Passenger window doesn't roll up with the driver side switch only when using the passenger's switch, but we have caught it working twice total with two different drivers without using the passenger switch. Radio sound has suddenly turned up really loud out of nowhere, and also turned really quiet (almost off) suddenly too but never been able to replicate this again either. The A/C works but the heater does not, we knew this while buying the car, although I've caught the heater working out of nowhere once or twice. Sometimes when the car has been off for an unknown amount of time, the cabin fans turn on full blast for a few minutes when no one is in the car. Sometimes i'll come outside my house to hear this or I'll return home in another car to hear that the fans are on. They turn off on their own though or if i switch the ignition on and off. Not sure what it would be automatically airing out. How much of this sounds normal aside from the obviously broken stuff? I'm starting to think I should have started a new thread for this.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts