SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone come up with a fix for the dash coming unattached from the firewall that does not involve pulling the entire dash out? My shop said they have a way of adding a bracket to the right side. Not perfect but they say it helps. Have not seen it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There's a pictorial on VS or Matts or ?
But I still think to do it right you need to pull it.
Let Google be your friend
Would you be doing the wrenching? and the actual fix?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm capable of doing that work, but really would rather spend an entire weekend a different way. Would be nice to have a way to fix it "good enough" without dismantling the car.

Any searching I have done in the past just provides info on how to remove the whole dash and "repair" the existing plastic mounting points.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Really no good way to repair the dash while its installed. Plus, chances are the dash is cracked in places other than the four mounting points. I bought a new dash from Volvo, as I didn't want to deal with the issue any more. When I removed my old dash it actually broke in half. Replacement dashes are easy to find depending on what color you need. The job is really not that bad. It took me about and hour and a half to remove the dash. Remove center console. Remove steering wheel. Remove upper dash pad. Remove Stereo. Remove AC control. Remove foot bolsters. Unplug big yellow electrical connector. Remove front window gutter. Remove wiper transmission. Remove 4 bolts under window, remove 4 torx screws inside on dash. Remove Dash. Quick job.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you do anything to the new part to keep it from breaking like the old one did? Maybe just don't drive the car? :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
No I didn't. I just figured that it would last at least another five years. If I was buying a used one, that might be a different matter. My duaghters dash is about ready to fall out of her S70, and I found a dash in good condition for $175. I might investigate beefing up the clip mounts though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts