SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 V70R. Digital dash clock gains about 3 minutes/week. Ran perfectly for 10 years, then recently started gaining. Is there any way to calibrate these? What would make a digital clock suddenly start gaining or losing time?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
No. Internal damage in DIM. Repair or replace.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Another ticking "time bomb" for the Rs.
What's next, spare tires losing air? :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its to do with solder points coming loose/bad contact in the circuit board. Same reason why DIM goes blank etc. Clock failure is just one of many symptoms.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Its to do with solder points coming loose/bad contact in the circuit board. Same reason why DIM goes blank etc. Clock failure is just one of many symptoms.
This is exactly right. especially if you live in a warmer state its more likely to happen. i was looking at an R to buy over a year ago and it had this same problem it was the DIM and the soldering was bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is good - relatively new AGM. I am not about to take the dash apart just for the clock, so I guess that I will just live with it. Since I usually mount my Droid with blue tooth connection to stereo, the auto display gives good clock readout as well as GPS speed.

Thx for all the replies.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Battery is good - relatively new AGM. I am not about to take the dash apart just for the clock, so I guess that I will just live with it. Since I usually mount my Droid with blue tooth connection to stereo, the auto display gives good clock readout as well as GPS speed.

Thx for all the replies.
like contrast said. its not the battery its the DIM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
According to relativity theory moving faster makes time go by slower. So easy fix is to drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Mine has done this for the full 8 years I've owned it. When I asked before, I was told it was a software update that the dealer could do to fix it. I haven't bothered because it isn't that annoying. No DIM failure.

I would check into that first before flinging cash at it in the form of a new DIM. The clock would be much more than just a few minutes fast if the DIM was failing (other posts describe it going like a slot machine).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I have a touch screen radio that displays the time so I just leave the dashes up in the DIM and never set the time. There's your solution ;). Mine never did go fast before I installed that though.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
234 Posts
������drive faster ! I am now 3 years younger since my clock started doing this !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine has done this for the full 8 years I've owned it. When I asked before, I was told it was a software update that the dealer could do to fix it. I haven't bothered because it isn't that annoying. No DIM failure.

I would check into that first before flinging cash at it in the form of a new DIM. The clock would be much more than just a few minutes fast if the DIM was failing (other posts describe it going like a slot machine).
I would check this software update first also -if it's a dim /dash module failure you would have some other gauges doing wacky things also - it is only about 160$ From European electric in Tenenasee for a complete dash module resolder, ( he re-solders everything ) and it's a 5 minute removal / installation very simple

1 - 17 of 17 Posts