SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing a dash cam in my 2011 Volvo S60 T6.

I'm using a USB cord ordered online, and an add-a-circuit to wire it in. Just wondering if I can use any fuse? Or is there an advantage to one over the other? I just want it to have power when the car is running. (i.e.- not the dome light circuit, etc)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

I'm using a USB cord ordered online, and an add-a-circuit to wire it in. Just wondering if I can use any fuse? Or is there an advantage to one over the other? I just want it to have power when the car is running. (i.e.- not the dome light circuit, etc)

Thanks
Or... You can just have dash cam powering up when the car is on and off when the car is off. I have that setup in both my cars.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly what Im trying to do, I just want it on and off with the car. I just don't want it to use the cigarette adapter it came with, I have a USB cable/12v-5v adapter run through the A pillar from the fuse box and want to wire it in.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thats exactly what Im trying to do, I just want it on and off with the car. I just don't want it to use the cigarette adapter it came with, I have a USB cable/12v-5v adapter run through the A pillar from the fuse box and want to wire it in.
Can you please give a few specifics when you're close to a solution? We have a couple of Garmins and would like to hard wire them to the fuse box as well.

Good luck on the install. Hope it's uneventful.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Gotcha.

I just use the cigarette lighter. Ran the wide under the headliner, around the A pilar, then through the weather strips in the passenger door, then under the mat and into the lighter. Can't even see it.
Turns on with the car, off with the car. Easier than hardwiring for me :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
so does it start recording when turned on?
Yeah, right away. Turns off about 5-10 seconds after the car is turned off (in Sonata), about 15-20 in the Volvo.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

Thanks
If your unit is fused you can use any fuse (keep in mind not all of them switch off with the ignition). If it's not I would use a smaller fuse in the 5-10amp range.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, right away. Turns off about 5-10 seconds after the car is turned off (in Sonata), about 15-20 in the Volvo.
Sweet! You mind linking me to the one you bought? Ive been considering one for awhile..

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Sweet! You mind linking me to the one you bought? Ive been considering one for awhile..
This one http://goo.gl/YqskhV and this one http://goo.gl/ozTd0u.

Make SURE the one that you buy is sold by SPY TEC. The others could be counterfeit.

I use 32Gb card in each. Records over old stuff when the card gets full.

These are not the best cameras, but they are also not very expensive. I got them because my wife was a victim of insurance fraud, and I just got fed up with that crap. The way it's wired is completely out of the way too. I wish more people would use them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts