SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing major, and pix to follow... but somewhere in the last week, the front right lower bumper paint started cracking out.

Honestly, it's kind of odd, because it's the INSIDE of the lower lip that is cracking at the corner... (stress crack from high speed flexing???)

I know how to fix it, but am really wondering if anyone knows the WHY of why it would be busting out like this...

1. I haven't hit any curbs with it (that I can recall)

2. I HAVE drug the underside of it going in the driveway a couple of times this past week (had to park it in a different spot with all the extra traffic coming and going)

3. Is this hidden damage from before I got the car that they did a 'really really' good job on and I just missed it when we bought it (possible, I didn't take a full day fine toothing it, but nothing was suggested from the owner report and the carfax of any damage on the front ever, just a not perfect touchup job (read: a tiny amount of silver paint on another spot of the caR where they didn't mask it perfectly into the blackout) 1 person in 100 wouldn't have caught that overspray... I did, but ignored it since I knew how to get it off, and it spotted the spot for me, a door ding...

ARGH! Baby is NOT PERFECT NOW!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
if you haven't hit anything, it's probably something that happened prior to you getting the car. it could be from deforming the bumper when dragging it on driveway... or even something from a prior repair not done quite right with the addition of your driveway scraping causing it to crack.

It's only the bumper and not the fender right? I wouldn't worry about it at all. You can get the bumper fixed, re-painted, or pick up a used one.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
UH-OH! Bumper Botox time!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Nothing major, and pix to follow... but somewhere in the last week, the front right lower bumper paint started cracking out.

Honestly, it's kind of odd, because it's the INSIDE of the lower lip that is cracking at the corner... (stress crack from high speed flexing???)

I know how to fix it, but am really wondering if anyone knows the WHY of why it would be busting out like this...

1. I haven't hit any curbs with it (that I can recall)

2. I HAVE drug the underside of it going in the driveway a couple of times this past week (had to park it in a different spot with all the extra traffic coming and going)

3. Is this hidden damage from before I got the car that they did a 'really really' good job on and I just missed it when we bought it (possible, I didn't take a full day fine toothing it, but nothing was suggested from the owner report and the carfax of any damage on the front ever, just a not perfect touchup job (read: a tiny amount of silver paint on another spot of the caR where they didn't mask it perfectly into the blackout) 1 person in 100 wouldn't have caught that overspray... I did, but ignored it since I knew how to get it off, and it spotted the spot for me, a door ding...

ARGH! Baby is NOT PERFECT NOW!
I've got so many things to do on my caR I'm not looking forward to. Infact I haven't been behind the R in almost 2 months!! BTW, how are you doing?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I walked around it today, and really stared at everything hard. This was old damage and was refurbed by the dealer prior to me taking ownership. I missed it. And I am kicking myself for it... but honestly, it didn't show up before a couple days ago, and it might have been aggravated by bumping something... there is a mark on the leading edge of that vertical (in the pix) that shows a hit... it has been hit before, but a current hit might have happened...

The overspray is on the black winglet on the passenger front bumper.. definitely a possible correlation since it's only about 10" away... yeah...

I should have caught it. Oh well.

Also, I caught a spot up under the decklid rear overhang (above the tag, off side from where you can stick a key in) that the paint is coming off of, as well... it's well protected, why in the heck would that spot ever lose paint??? Weird.

As far as how I am doing... we are doing as well as can be expected. I took this week off from work (mostly my boss insisted, he was freaked out, too.. his daughters are 2 years older than my 2... ) we are taking it day to day, and getting the family out now that the memorial is over. Thanks for asking!

Anyway, pix of what I have to fix:

AND the overspray shot:

sorry crappy phone camera shots, I didn't drag out the good camera this time...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
pull the bumper and check for damage if you are suspecting a collision. my guess is it is just damage from street parking, curbing etc. don't sweat it too much unless there is more hidden stuff behind. also paint your stock ic if it is flaking while you have bumper off.

history on car fax/etc clean? as for the trunk with paint coming off. That is a strange spot though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts