SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, so please go easy on me :). Finally pulled the trigger and placed an OSD order on an Osmium Grey XC90 Inscription with 21" wheels, B&W sound, Vision Package, and black headliner (confirmed for late March 2016). One of the hardest decisions I made was related to the inlays and after much hemming and hawing I went with the dark flame birch. Due to the obviously limited supply, I was unable to see the dark flame inlay in person. Does anyone have any real world pictures on an XC90 (Google/Instagram didn't prove fruitful for me) or opinions on the inlays with a black interior (including black headliner)? I definitely didn't like the linear walnut with the all black interior so was really debating the aluminum inlays. Any pics/opinions are much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Here is a photo of a Momentum Plus, Amber interior, black headliner, with dark flame birch including wood steering wheel. I think it looks great (see below), but I've heard some say it looks too plastic in appearance. Hope this helps with your decision.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a complete set of OEM Birch inlays including center console pieces that I swapped out for linear walnut in my Momentum+. Just different tastes. The birch is very high quality and compares with the ones I've seen in MB or BMW. If anyone wants them for a great price please PM me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Parts were around $1000 from myswedishparts.com, but this includes the Bowers & Wilkins speaker grills that are part of the door inlays. I did most of the install myself except the center console pieces which requires taking it apart. I would have loved to do that part but didn't have sufficiently detailed instructions, so I had the dealer do it for about 2 hours labor. There's a chance if you find a dealer who has already done that part, it would not be such a "big deal" and they would charge an hour labor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Parts were around $1000 from myswedishparts.com, but this includes the Bowers & Wilkins speaker grills that are part of the door inlays. I did most of the install myself except the center console pieces which requires taking it apart. I would have loved to do that part but didn't have sufficiently detailed instructions, so I had the dealer do it for about 2 hours labor. There's a chance if you find a dealer who has already done that part, it would not be such a "big deal" and they would charge an hour labor.
So you added the B&W speaker grills to the standard stereo system? That's pretty darn cool. I much prefer the look of the B&W grills. Do you happen to have a link to all the parts you ordered? Part numbers would be very helpful as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion and taste but after sitting in both Momentum and Inscription....one of the main reasons I went for the Inscription was because of the Linear Walnut over the Dark Flame Birch. The Dark Flame birch was way too glossy and plasticky for me me. I would have probably gotten a Momentum+ if I was able to change the Inlay.

The Inscription comes with beautiful Napa leather...and the walnut looks great regardless of the interior color.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion and taste but after sitting in both Momentum and Inscription....one of the main reasons I went for the Inscription was because of the Linear Walnut over the Dark Flame Birch. The Dark Flame birch was way too glossy and plasticky for me me. I would have probably gotten a Momentum+ if I was able to change the Inlay.

The Inscription comes with beautiful Napa leather...and the walnut looks great regardless of the interior color.
I agree with you that the walnut is the better looking option, but I was pleasantly surprised by the dark flame birch when my Momentum+ was finally delivered. I ordered the vehicle without ever actually seeing the darker wood in person, and I was very worried that it would look cheap. Make no mistake, it is glossy, but I feel it looks very nice in the vehicle. It certainly looks way better than some of the fake plastic crap that can be found in other cars.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion and taste but after sitting in both Momentum and Inscription....one of the main reasons I went for the Inscription was because of the Linear Walnut over the Dark Flame Birch. The Dark Flame birch was way too glossy and plasticky for me me.
Yep....that is why there are more ice cream flavors than just vanilla. It's nice to have choices.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I placed my order back in August, the form seemed to indicate that if you ordered the Momentum Plus, you can choose any inlay you want except for carbon fiber. By default, it was the birch. But it looked like you can change it. Unless that option was only available for OSD orders.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I placed my order back in August, the form seemed to indicate that if you ordered the Momentum Plus, you can choose any inlay you want except for carbon fiber. By default, it was the birch. But it looked like you can change it. Unless that option was only available for OSD orders.
I believe that is the case. You can only choose the trim if it's an OSD order. Otherwise, you are stuck with the dark flame birch.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So you added the B&W speaker grills to the standard stereo system? That's pretty darn cool. I much prefer the look of the B&W grills. Do you happen to have a link to all the parts you ordered? Part numbers would be very helpful as well. Thanks!
No, I have the B&W option. The door inlay has to be ordered with the speaker grille for your system. There's a good chance it will be less expensive for the standard stereo.

Here are the part numbers and pricing -- total is actually $850 after discount! The Cover and Blind are the center console parts. If/when the time comes, I can post up some pointers for installation.

Part Number
Part Name
Price
Quantity
Total
Dash Decor Kits
Options:
options : Modern wood
$135.51
(Not Taxable)
$135.51
TRIM STRIP
$538.65
(Not Taxable)
$538.65
COVER
$70.21
(Not Taxable)
$70.21
BLIND
$150.24
(Not Taxable)
$150.24
Subtotal:
$894.61
Promo discount 5%:
-$44.73

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since October, I've been able to see more pics of the dark flame birch but have been limited in person to peeking into a tinted XC90 Momentum at a dealership on a Sunday. Obviously difficult to get a great impression that way and would still like to see it uninhibited, but I did like what I saw.

I think what was making me second guess myself more than anything was the fact that the linear walnut is an upcharge for Momentum purchasers and it felt weird to "downgrade" to the birch on the Inscription trim. I know that's poor reasoning and I should just go with what I like best, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it was in my head. That combined with the comments about the birch looking plasticy (to some) and my inability to get a good look in person was enough to convince me of the Linear Walnut so I had my OSD order changed before it was locked. I'm sure it will look great either way! The silver lining now is that my order is past the last date of change, so I can free myself of second guessing. Now the painstaking wait until early April for our OSD trip... I'll have to satiate myself with all of the XC90 pics here!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts