SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody -

You may wonder why I have been so quiet lately (or maybe you were just happy about it, and didn't want to stir me up). Well, after a year of V70 ownership, the time has come for my car and me to part.

I have reached an agreement with VCNA to buy back my V70. I will soon be a Volvo owner no more. In so many ways, my T5 was a fantastic vehicle, but the incessant transmission and assorted other problems never let me enjoy it to the fullest. But why dwell on the negative?

I have enjoyed the short time we have spent on this excellent new board, and I will miss the excitement that is being created here. I will still be around lurking, making sure nobody gets out of hand, but I'm also sure I will no longer be ahead of the curve where I like to be. I guess I'm not really leaving - just taking a back seat (wish they were heated sometimes)

The good news is that I have several goodies that I'm looking to sell for pretty good prices. I'll eventually get around to posting the whole list in the classified section. I have a modified factory roof rack, a trunk mat, rubber floor mat set, tow eyes, an s60 grille modified slightly to fit the V70, several oil filters and crush washers, a purse clip, trash bin, a set of four Weatherflectors and a few other assorted goodies.

Here's the link: 2001 Parts for Sale

I wish all of you the best with your cars, and I'm sure our paths will continue to cross now and again. I'll miss the fun. sniff.

- Darell

·
Registered
29 Posts
Darell,

I'm sorry to see you go. You have been a great source of information on both V70s and Volvos. Best of luck to you.

-ema

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Darell,

Well, I am really glad that VCNA cooperated with you. That is a good sign hopefully that VCNA is trying harder with owners relations. It seems like everything you went through with your V70, you deserve to be treated right & fair. I will also be sad to see you go as a Volvo owner, but I am glad that you will be sticking around, because this place sure wouldn't be the same without you and all of the help that you give!

-Drew

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are too kind. Thanks for the nice words.

I wouldn't jump right into assuming that VCNA has vastly improved customer relations though. The process was not as easy nor as painless as I may have implied.

My big Volvo goal is to some day fully restore a 1966 P1800s...my first car. When that begins, I'll be back with a vengeance!

- Darell

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have to say this development shakes me up. Darell's enthusiasm gave me confidence in the face of niggling doubts. On the other hand, after 18,000-plus miles (and some aggravation), my Volvo is still pleasing me. Best wishes, Darell. (If only my sis-in-law had left the cover OFF her restored P1800 during that decade of neglect, then maybe the mold wouldn't have...but there it sits.)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm shaken up too, beleive me. It was a VERY difficult decision to come to. I've lost lots of money and time in the process, and at the end of it all, I have to shop for another car...

It troubles me that VCNA was not even aware of the enthusiasm that I had for this car, and the Volvo brand even in the face of my troubles. I really did want this to work out, and I didn't want to see others giving up either. If something about the car made me happy, I was thrilled to share it with others. But of course, I gave equal air-time to the problems.

Thank you for your insight, and I wish you all the luck with your car for years to come. (I drove my '66 P1800 for almost ten years and 300,000 miles, BTW!)

- Darell

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's really unfortunate that you're no longer a Volvo driver Darell. I've enjoyed reading your posts over the past few months and I wish you all the best with your new ride... which will be a __________ (fill in blank)?

On the other hand, it's good to hear you've reached what I assume is an acceptable agreement with VCNA.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Coastal -

Nice to hear from you. I'm sad to be leaving as well. As I just posted on Vspy -

I have ordered a 2002 Honda Odyssey EXL-NAV as my replacement family-mover. Now, before you go giving me the little frowney icons, please note that for 2002, the Odyssey will have leather, heated seats, 240 normally-aspirated HP (with 87 octane!) a 5-speed auto trans...well just all kinds of things that make it seem quite like a pregnant V70 T5. I'm ordering the NAVI system in it, because I think the Honda system is one of the best factory units, as I've mentioned in other threads.

The agreement with VCNA is acceptable only because I accepted it
. Still loosing tons of money...

You've been, and I am sure will continue to be, a great contributer here. Thanks for helping to make this such a fun board!

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang. I just noticed that I've posted 453 times to this board. How much of my life have I spent posting about Volvos? Considering that this is the NEWEST board that I post to... Scary.

- Darell

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Darell,

You have my seal of approval.
IMHO, the Honda Odyssey is best in class. It it now even better with 240 hp, Navi-System, rear disc brakes, and new 5-speed automatic. I even like the Acura MDX as well. If I remember correctly, doesn't the Odyssey now come with an optional rear DVD entertaiment system?

Oh yeah, BTW keep us updated when you have modded the Navi-System to play DVD's while driving.

Also, check out this thread on the Vortex, the Odyssey is winning by a mile:

Minivan, which will you buy?

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh. Indy...like a breath of fresh air hearing from you.

Oh man, there are so many mods, I can't wait to get started. Ody owners actually work on their own cars (seeing as how they have a shop manual, and all). Oh, and the factory trailer hitch works

I ordered the NAVI and the RES (rear entertainment DVD system) but you can only get one or the other, not both
I went for the NAV because there are so many aftermarket DVD units you can put it (or modify the GPS DVD player like you say).

Ahhhh. Gotta run, but thanks for all your great work here Indy.

- Darell

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Well, that's a real shame. Darrell, you were one of the first people on the board, and a real resource. I hate to see you go, and I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Lemon Law issues are never easy on either side, and pardon the pun, but it always leaves a negative taste in your mouth.

Sounds like you made an excellent choice, though not a Volvo
, but still a highly respectable automobile.

It's funny. Lemon issues are odd. Some cars kick butt, and another from the same brand are seemingly never fixed. I actually bought a car used that had been a lemon (VW Corrado), as I found out several years later when I ran a carfax report. I wasn't happy to hear about it as it hurt the resale, but it performed very well for me for 5 years of ownership. Odd.

Anyway, sorry for the slow reaction time on my part. I am currently in Ingolstadt Germany and will be covering the Frankfurt Auto Show for the next few days, so I've had little if any access to the internet.

Best of luck.
george

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey George -

Thanks for taking the time to write. I know all too well how difficult accessing the internet on the road can be.

I'm glad I had the chance, in my own small way, to help get this site rolling. Swedespeed has superb potential. By the time I buy my next Volvo, say in 2020, I fully expect this site to be THE PREMIER Volvo resource.

Yes, dealing with lemons is a bitter pill to swallow.

Have a great time at the auto show. I'll be around, so you won't miss me too much

- Darell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Darell ... I'm just new to this site but have had 2 2001 T5 V70's with geartronic transmissions and have had transmissions issues with both. The dealer and I came to a reasonable agreement on the first one because of the transmission issues but the second one is behaving exactly the same. My current V70 has 4500 kilometers on it( I live in Canada).

At about 60 to 65 kmph with a very light throttle settings (and going up a very slight grade seems to make is worse) I get an occasional shuddering as the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th. With my first V70, the shuddering/vibration was sometimes quite violent, sufficient to shake the entire car. The shuddering/vibration in the second V70 is less violent but still present.

Is this similar to the problem you (or anyone else for that matter) were having? I have also had the hard shifting at slow speeds coming up to stop signs, red lights going around corners at intersections, etc. I was told that problem would go away as the trasmission adapted to my driving. Thanx.

Jack 2001 V70 T5 geartronic

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Jack -

It sounds like you are experiencing several of my complaints, unfortunately. Sadly, you haven't mentioned anything that I haven't experienced in my car.

For a year now, I've been told my driving style is at fault, and/or I am expecting too much from my car. Since posting my "goodbye" message here and on Vspy, I have been flooded with emails from folks who are having GT transmission problems. I have begged each one of them to contact VCNA to let them know of their displeasure. As long as VCNA thinks these problems only effect nit-pickers like myself, nothing will get done.

I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through all of this not once, but a second time as well.

I wish you luck,
Darell

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
If I see my contact from Volvo today, I will mention this to him. I'm sure they know, but maybe there is some way to have some people contact them online somehow. I will check.

That said, Darrell best of luck. Oh, and watch for our Frankfurt gallery. I shot a Honda minivan todaz with lowered suspension, big wheels and full bucket racing seats all around. I'll make sure to include it in the gallery. I was thinking of you when I saw it. It isn't a Passport, but not much smaller.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
George -

I'll be very curious if your contact "knows" about the problems. The official word from Volvo that has always been given to me is that they know exactly how the GTs all work (and they think they all work the same), and that there are no problems that software can't eventually fix.

I assume you mean the van you photographed is a bit smaller than an *Odyssey*. I'll keep my eyes open.

- Darell

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Darell,

I really like OdyClub.Com. That white one above looks really good, but I would change the wheels. Just curious, would you do something like that to your van? Oh, BTW, what color did you get? I think it would look really cool in black, with that body kit and some titanium colored rims.

I like this Ody & wheels a whole lot:

Meet the Parents, that is a really funny movie!
Man, how do these guys come up with this stuff, being able to play DVD movies on the Navi-System!

A little Gran-Turismo anyone?

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
Hey...I like those wheels, too. Look a bit like the Model 7 by Yoko.

quote:

Originally posted by InDy:
Darell,

I really like OdyClub.Com. That white one above looks really good, but I would change the wheels. Just curious, would you do something like that to your van? Oh, BTW, what color did you get? I think it would look really cool in black, with that body kit and some titanium colored rims.

I like this Ody & wheels a whole lot:

Meet the Parents, that is a really funny movie!
Man, how do these guys come up with this stuff, being able to play DVD movies on the Navi-System!
-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Drew -

Yes, I've become quite the regular over on Odyclub, as you probably know.

I ordered a white one, so as to minimize the vehicular-change shock of it all. I don't think I'll be modifying the exterior too radically. I may lower it a tad, since the H&R springs just came out that seem to work really well. I don't want an air kit because I'll just be trashing it on bumps. Wheels are a big consideration. Please note that I have no illusions that minivans are good-looking vehicles. It is one of those laws of nature. You can dress it up a bit, but you always still end up with a minivan...

Now, the inside will be a totally different story. One of the first things I'll probably do is to mod the navi screen to play DVD movies. The great news is that the van you featured here is owned by a guy who lives just 1/2 hour from my house. He's done some great stuff. There is so much potential for customizing the interior of these things...and OH, so much room in which to do it! Even the dashboard comes off pretty easily...and did I mention that I already bought the complete official shop manual for this thing? (Try doing that with your late-model Volvo!)

Ok, back to your regularly-scheduled program...

- Darell

1 - 20 of 30 Posts