SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I look for a hobbyist or is this a job for a professional? I read on other forums that some people remove the dash and do this right in their driveway! I wouldn't dare, but wondering if I should/could trust an enthusiast to do this?

So here are the basics: 2002 S80

1. SRS warning light.... ON!
2. Dash....Dead almost always (or flash-dancing like Christmas tree lights!)
3. Dealer $1200... to solder anything loose
4. My trusted Indy Mechanic $600... to see if anything is lose and fix if possible
5. OR find an enthusiast who would agree to help for a couple bills?
What do you suggest? Have you had this problem before?:confused:

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Should I look for a hobbyist or is this a job for a professional? I read on other forums that some people remove the dash and do this right in their driveway! I wouldn't dare, but wondering if I should/could trust an enthusiast to do this?

4. My trusted Indy Mechanic $600... to see if anything is lose and fix if possible
Welcome to Swedespeed.

Any chance that you are ready to trade this '02 S80 for a Volvo dealer-certified S60?

George Dill

·
Registered
146 Posts
The whole dash? Radio, and Climate controls too? Or is it just the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@AngryBird: Radio works & Climate controls work, just the gauge cluster is affected. If it's related ~ the passenger side door auto lock doesn't work either??? Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@George. YES! I would consider an S60, only because I assume the smaller size equals better gas mileage (?) but my S80 runs as smooth as melted butter! It's just the darn dash.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
@George. YES! I would consider an S60, only because I assume the smaller size equals better gas mileage (?) but my S80 runs as smooth as melted butter! It's just the darn dash.
Without bad-mouthing your smooth 2002 S80 I'll say that your car has interesting charactristics as mentioned by other 2002 S80 owners on the www (no link provided/needed).

Share your ZIP and max budget for a dealer-certified S60 and we will go shopping!

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

If possible avoid investing major dollars in this '02 S80.

The history on this Y/M is well known among the Volvo community.

Yes, you may hear from many happy 2002 S80 owners but remember - you are not among those so blessed.

George Dill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks

@John2x240 thanks! I'll do a little research to find the level of skill & expense. I'd love to postpone the inevitable a little longer if I could fix this issue myself (or find a driveway diy'er in Oregon who knows how)

@George D... Thanks for the advice, and I agree l do not want to invest a great deal in an 02. Hopefully theres a quick~inexpensive fix. If this is impossible, I was planning to car shop around December anyway. 97211 Zipcode, but I'll have to research what general costs are for used S60.
(ps thanks for not 'bad-mouthing' my S80, she's a faithful ol' gal & drives like a dream. just a little high maitenence)

I appreciate the advice! Glad I came across this website.
Steff.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Steff. Whenever I get another vehicle I always get a service and repair manual, Haynes if I have to (there not as good as they used to be), or something like the Bentley manual for my bricks. Other than these, there are often manuals that can be downloaded, some including wiring diagrams, and some of these are free. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts