SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 66 220 b20 owner and and am always looking to make changes,

If the drum brake D30 axles have 10 splines can 27 spline spider gears be installed? If so can one piece D30 axles then be used? Any difference in the bearings?

Can D30 spider gears be used in a D27?

Can 140 D30 axles be shortened to fit a 122 D30? Any difference in the bearings?

The Ford diff is not appealing because of the engineering not cost

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got a '66 130 with differential problems so I have started researching all this. My car was made mid '66 so it has the D30 axle.

I believe the D27 and D30 spiders are the same but still verifying through several sources.
My spiders are shot and the thrust spacer that sits between the two axle shafts may also be worn down below tolerances.

The D30 spiders with 27 splines are very prevalent/available throught the Jeep sites as I'm sure you're aware. I have found a 10 spline spider for the D27 on an old Jeep site, but no 10 spline D30 spiders, yet.

Will keep you posted on what I find or you can email me direct and we can converse on options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a '66 130 with differential problems so I have started researching all this. My car was made mid '66 so it has the D30 axle.

I believe the D27 and D30 spiders are the same but still verifying through several sources.
My spiders are shot and the thrust spacer that sits between the two axle shafts may also be worn down below tolerances.

The D30 spiders with 27 splines are very prevalent/available throught the Jeep sites as I'm sure you're aware. I have found a 10 spline spider for the D27 on an old Jeep site, but no 10 spline D30 spiders, yet.

Will keep you posted on what I find or you can email me direct and we can converse on options.
this is an interesting rear disc set up Front rotors on the rearhttp://www.ovtuners.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3738&sid=11966b5ae142fc73ed508e45a9d63d4b&start=20

1 - 3 of 3 Posts