SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some dude hit my car when it was parked. Damaged passenger rear corner panel, left a note. I dropped it off to get an estimate for his insurance company, $1500! Damn...

So I'll be driving my Rover getting 8mpg for a solid week and a half... I don't want to know what they'd give me for a rental.

Balls... and I was just about to put my snow wheel set up on!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sucks... But I love those rims. What color did you have them powder-coated? Nice you got hit by an honest person!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Lol, whatever they give you for a rental is going to get excellent gas mileage (Corolla, Rio, etc.) so if that's a concern, maybe the rental would be better. Nice Land Rover, though! At least the person was honest enough to leave a note.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sucks... But I love those rims. What color did you have them powder-coated? Nice you got hit by an honest person!
Thanks, they're the 19" matte black pegs from iPd.

Also yes, it's great that he left a note!

·
Registered
373 Posts
8MPG... SERIOUSLY? My 68 Plymouth w/ an 830 Holley DP & 3.91 gears gets 13... and it probably out-weighs that land rover by 1000lbs. What's wrong with that Land Rover?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I feel for you man. Someone in a government vehicle (f150 w/ tommygate) backed into my 2013 Audi S4 today that I've had for less than a month. I bet it easily did $2G to $3G woth of damage. Both the the Right side LED tails will have to be replaced as will the trunk lid. :-(

·
Registered
171 Posts
that sucks but at least they did leave a note

on another note, there seems to be a silver car parked next to your land rover partially obstructed by an invisibility cloak...or is it photoshop? I'm going to go with invisibility cloak

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
8MPG... SERIOUSLY? My 68 Plymouth w/ an 830 Holley DP & 3.91 gears gets 13... and it probably out-weighs that land rover by 1000lbs. What's wrong with that Land Rover?
Aerodynamics???

·
Registered
373 Posts
You guys think a 68 Fury has great aerodynamics? LOL.. plus, I'm running 3.91's with a 3-speed & short drag radials. But I do admit my Fury doesn't have a 6' high windscreen LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nah it's more like 10mpg. It's basically a brick with wind resistance, it probably has the same engine(well, buick V8), unbalanced 32" tires, roof rack, 4 10" lights, 6k lbs, 4 speed auto. Basically those reasons
I bought an 02 Disco SD with about 12k on it in 2003, thought I'd at least get EPA rated MPG. Started off on a drive from CT to UT with cruise set at about 80... First fill up came after having gone just about 200 miles, I averaged 11.4 MPG! Set cruise to about 62 the rest of the way, took a lot longer to get there but at least I got a respectable 14-15 mpg :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought an 02 Disco SD with about 12k on it in 2003, thought I'd at least get EPA rated MPG. Started off on a drive from CT to UT with cruise set at about 80... First fill up came after having gone just about 200 miles, I averaged 11.4 MPG! Set cruise to about 62 the rest of the way, took a lot longer to get there but at least I got a respectable 14-15 mpg :(
Yeah, back then EPA ratings were acquired by driving on a level track @ 55-65 mph. They weren't "real world" driving conditions at all. I think they're pretty much required to test them in real world conditions now.. which is why the MPG's are a lot closer to what is on the sticker.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I absolutely love that land rover!!! Beautiful truck man! Sorry about the R

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The MPG is done while also checking emissions compliance. Closed room with chassis dyno where incoming and outgoing air is monitored to know the net emissions of the vehicle being tested.
The drive cycle on the dyno is loaded based on weight and other factors and a computer run standard test is done.
The human factor as far as driving is eliminated as is wind, rain, and temperature that would all be factors making the testing have huge variables that would favor vehicles tested in certain temps and with no wind.
The manufacturer supplies some factors.
Kia and Hyundai apparently supplied some erroneous info and that is why they have an issue now with too high MPG numbers on some models.
The hated upshift lamp still used on a few makes does figure into the MPG testing when it is fitted to the vehicle. Some manual trans vehicles have skip-shift feature to help with MPG testing. The skip-shift hardware is a popular item to delete or over-ride.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
And gearing...
... and 19th century mechanical technology (OK, the ex-Buick small-block V8 is from the mid-20th.) But, he could probably winch himself up one of the Green Mountains or, with enough gas, travel by land to Tierra del Fuego...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Does this mean you won't be making it to Dyno Day on the 17th?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts