SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 2005 s40 t5 awd and have been slowly eliminating check engine codes that popped up after purchasing. So far I have done the module, spark plugs, and fuel pressure sensor (as mentioned on the forum). Car drove great, but check engine light popped up again and periodically get a sporadic message saying check gas cap. Is there a certain type of gas cap people recommend getting? part number?

Also I have noticed that sometimes when starting the car the fuel gauge does not move, and then will rocket to appropriate filled level. Not sure if this is fuel pump related or related to the gas cap, anyone had this happen before? This is very infrequent and sometimes there is also no power steering. I usually will shut the car off, count to 15 Mississippi and turn it back on which will do the trick. I may try changing the fuel filter at some point before going for a fuel pump. Car has a smidgen over 90k miles.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
31261589 Factory cap is just fine. Some older ones do develop cracks. A good place to start in any case.

Fuel filter is part of the pump so you won't be changing it anytime soon. I'm sure it's not your issue anyway. Some sort of other electrical gremlin is at play. Start by pulling the battery cables off & clean thoroughly. Install tightly with dielectric compound (Vaseline works).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
31261589 Factory cap is just fine. Some older ones do develop cracks. A good place to start in any case.

Fuel filter is part of the pump so you won't be changing it anytime soon. I'm sure it's not your issue anyway. Some sort of other electrical gremlin is at play. Start by pulling the battery cables off & clean thoroughly. Install tightly with dielectric compound (Vaseline works).
Thanks! Will try when I get home.

Also I was looking up parts so the fuel filter came up for an s40, but fine print says if it is equipped with an external filter. Thank you for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Install tightly with dielectric compound (Vaseline works).
What do you mean by this? Surly not putting vaseline between battery posts and cable connections, right?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
What do you mean by this? Surly not putting vaseline between battery posts and cable connections, right?
You should make the connection and then spread Vaseline or di-electric compound around it. So the jelly is going to be all over the battery post and electric connector. This helps keep corrosion out of the area. Also keeps water away and such. It's just helps isolate the connection from outside elements.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
thought so, just sounded a little strange :).

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Thanks! Will try when I get home.

Also I was looking up parts so the fuel filter came up for an s40, but fine print says if it is equipped with an external filter. Thank you for the clarification.
Yes, there's a listing for it but all (that I know of) North America P1 cars do not have an external filter.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, there's a listing for it but all (that I know of) North America P1 cars do not have an external filter.
You're correct. The European format has a changeable filter. US doesn't. It's one unit like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the feedback on the aftermarket variety, i know its just a gas cap but who would have thought it would go bad in the first place. I have found GATES 31857 and STANT 10851 to be oem equivalent.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Eh - I replaced the coolant tank cap with a non-oem cap and it did not seal quite right. It's a risk, but aftermarket could work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts