SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 XC70 with 28,000 miles. New General Altima HP tires were installed at 21,000. miles. The tires were rotated for the first time front to rear at 27,000 miles. Today, the left front tire sidewall was badly damaged when the car scraped the curb in a narrow driveway with a sharp turn causing a flat. My wife won't drive through there again! Just too much curve for the long wheelbase Volvo! The alloy wheel is slightly scraped but not too bad. The left front tire is destroyed. Question is how many tires have to be replaced on the 4-wheel drive car. Just the one? A pair? Hopefully not all four. Any advise is appreciated. Tire wear looks even between front and rear.<p>Should I get a new alignment if the tire scraped a curb hard for about 10-15 feet?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Jeffs3820 at 2:06 PM 8-15-2009</i>

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: Damaged tire - do I have to replace with a pair or all 4? (Jeffs3820)

Okay, you mentioned the right front sidewall was badly damaged and then later stated the left front tire is destroyed. So was it one tire or two tires damaged?<p>If we are talking just one and only 7K miles on the others, I would just replace the damaged one with new one (As long as you can get a matching tire.) and put it on the front.<p>If you're talking two tires damaged, the answer is easy: replace 2.<p>If you're really concerned about the difference in wear, check the tread depth of your existing tires against the tread depth of a new one. As long as it's not a huge difference, you're fine.<p>I would get the alignment checked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Damaged tire - do I have to replace with a pair or all 4? (Jeffs3820)

On any Volvo AWD, if you damage /destroy a tire or 2, you can replace them with tires trimmed to the necessary diameter. Tire Rack is one company that will trim the Tire Diameter to the size required.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Damaged tire - do I have to replace with a pair or all 4? (Bittersweet)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Bittersweet</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On any Volvo AWD, if you damage /destroy a tire or 2, you can replace them with tires trimmed to the necessary diameter. Tire Rack is one company that will trim the Tire Diameter to the size required.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Not true.<br>On any <B>HALDEX equipped AWD </B>you can replace two, but on an 02 and earlier, (viscous coupling) you need to replace all four if the tread is more than 3/32" difference<br><B>YOU</B> only need two tires.<p>(I never heard of Tirerack trimming tires, if so that could help me in the future, I will have to ask them this)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Damaged tire - do I have to replace with a pair or all 4? (JRL)

The Tire Rack has offered a tire shaving service that has been primarily used for preparing competition tires for racetrack use. This same service can also be used to remove tread rubber from new pairs or individual street tires used on four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles to allow them to match the remaining tread depth of the other partially worn tires that will remain on the vehicle. In addition to providing equivalent tread depth to eliminate driveline stress, shaved tires will also better match the traction and handling qualities of the remaining worn tires.<p>While the cost of our street tire shaving service will range from $25 to $35 for each tire, it is significantly less than the cost of unnecessarily replacing the remaining two or three good tires with lots of mileage still available from them<p><A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18" TARGET="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...id=18</A>

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Not true.<br>On any <B>HALDEX equipped AWD </B>you can replace two, but on an 02 and earlier, (viscous coupling) you need to replace all four if the tread is more than 3/32" difference<br><B>YOU</B> only need two tires.<p>(I never heard of Tirerack trimming tires, if so that could help me in the future, I will have to ask them this)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Exactly.<p>If the tire tread difference permits adding only one new tire, make sure you move the two rear tires to the front (straight back to front, not diagonally) and install the new tire in the rear (preferably in the Left Rear spot but either Rear side would be OK).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Not true.<br>On any <B>HALDEX equipped AWD </B>you can replace two, but on an 02 and earlier, (viscous coupling) you need to replace all four if the tread is more than 3/32" difference<br><B>YOU</B> only need two tires.<p>(I never heard of Tirerack trimming tires, if so that could help me in the future, I will have to ask them this)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Exactly.<p>If the tire tread difference permits adding only one new tire, make sure you move the two rear tires in the front and install the new tire in the rear (preferably in the Left Rear spot but either Rear side would be OK).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Damaged tire - do I have to replace with a pair or all 4? (KevinR)

Sorry for the confusion...all damage was on left front tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts