SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up stripping/rounding the transmission fill plug on my 2008 XC90 yesterday (this was the third drain and fill I've completed, but I still somehow managed to mess it up before I realized how bad the plug had been damaged). According to the trusted transmission threads on Swedespeed, I believe I can simply fill the transmission (albeit at a slower pace) at the same inlet tube that goes into the transmission cooler that is also removed to access the "exit" line of the cooler for a drain mentioned here on post #14, correct? https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-fluid-flush&p=2549890&viewfull=1#post2549890. I just wanted to make sure I have all the information correct before I attempt a drain again, as the normal method of adding fluid is currently kaput.

I've ordered a replacement plug, but what's the safest way of getting the plug replaced? Using an adjustable bolt removal tool/expansion tool set? Any suggestions on the best one to use for the size of the transmission fill plug for the V8 XC90s? The fact that I can potentially fill the transmission back up with an alternative method and that this is a very rare job in comparison to an oil change makes me question whether I even need to worry about the plug for now.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That was me who used the inlet. It worked fine Just a little slower.

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
Hi
using the inlet works well, however be patient it will take some time... use some fuse tape to seal the funnel to the hose so it doesn't leak. My transmission fill plug was so tight i could not remove it so had to use this method.

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts