SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it doesn't sound as bad as the title states.

Last night my mate and I were driving and I was behind him when a block of wood flicked up and hit my car. We were heading on a freeway/motorway on ramp so we were accelerating hard probably about 100-120Km/h (62-75mph).

So it flicked up (he couldn't avoid it) and I was in no position to move out of the way. So I went straight on. It hit below my car, smacked into the Intercooler and bent the thing, ripped off one air guide and damaged the other.

I took it to the dealer to have it looked at and quoted and outch. $2500. I'm asking how hard would it be to replace the Intercooler yourself and if so does anyone have a guide on how to take the front bumper off with locations of screws and clips? I'm thinking it might be cheaper to replace all this myself.

I'm out at the moment but will post up pics soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I remember on my 2005 s40 it was no big deal, just take care when taking the bumper off and remember how you did it so it's easy to put back together.. But changing the intercooler is easy i would assume on the s60 too.. Probably don't need anything more than common sense..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The instructions at alldatadiy.com do not show the bumper coming off.
(You might consider a subscription.) It shows:

Remove the plastic guide under the car. 8 screws in front to the bumper trim,
3 bolts behind it on the radiator (one center, one on each outer edge). Push
the trim forward at the outer edges near the wheels to release.

Remove four bolts, 2 at either end, of what looks like the bottom of the radiator.
Probably loosens the radiator so it floats (that is a guess).

Install special tool "999 5463" which is used to hold up a transmission. Not sure
why that is needed. It is not clear. Maybe to support the radiator using a floor jack?
It appears to be attached to the radiator at the bottom.

Loosen the clamps on the input and output hoses to the IC. Done from the backside
(electric fan side).

Remove two bolts that hold the intercooler in place. One on either side from bottom.

Drop the intercooler. It looks to be about 6 inches high and the
width of the radiator. There appears to be something on the drivers side behind
the radiator that looks like a clip, or similar, that needs to be paid attention to
when dropping.

Looking at it, I think you could do it with the car on ramps.

NOTE: Drivers side refers to left hand drive cars (my perspective), so the left side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The instructions at alldatadiy.com do not show the bumper coming off.
(You might consider a subscription.) It shows:

Remove the plastic guide under the car. 8 screws in front to the bumper trim,
3 bolts behind it on the radiator (one center, one on each outer edge). Push
the trim forward at the outer edges near the wheels to release.

Remove four bolts, 2 at either end, of what looks like the bottom of the radiator.
Probably loosens the radiator so it floats (that is a guess).

Install special tool "999 5463" which is used to hold up a transmission. Not sure
why that is needed. It is not clear. Maybe to support the radiator using a floor jack?
It appears to be attached to the radiator at the bottom.

Loosen the clamps on the input and output hoses to the IC. Done from the backside
(electric fan side).

Remove two bolts that hold the intercooler in place. One on either side from bottom.

Drop the intercooler. It looks to be about 6 inches high and the
width of the radiator. There appears to be something on the drivers side behind
the radiator that looks like a clip, or similar, that needs to be paid attention to
when dropping.

Looking at it, I think you could do it with the car on ramps.

NOTE: Drivers side refers to left hand drive cars (my perspective), so the left side.
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sorry I forgot to take photos. Here they are.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
That damage appears very minor, IMHO and should not impact the operation of the intercooler to any extent that you would actually feel.

Does the AC work okay and do you see any coolant leaking or is it losing coolant over time?

I would probably just touch up where the paint is scratched and call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.