SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago my father bought a used 2000 2.9 because he loved my 2001 T6. He only has about 80K miles on it. Unfortunately, his timing belt snapped and cracked the block. He is being told it is unrepairable. Has anyone had success repairing/welding a crack such as this? If not, can anyone suggest a source for a used engine near Cincinnati, OH. I've only been able to find two in the Cincinnati, OH area and they have a lot of miles for the price they are asking.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've never heard of a block cracking from a broken belt. Sure it isn't the cylinder head, or maybe a piston that needs replacement? Not that the block cracking isn't impossible, but it just seems like an odd place to fail when the valves crash into the pistons!

Pictures would help immensely for anyone to give an opinion on whether it can be repaired or not!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed. If the timing belt broke, you likely have some bent valves. Unless he was at the redline when it happened, the pistons could be nicked up, but they're probably fine, along with the head itself. Can't imagine a normally aspirated car doing anything to crack the block, short of having a rod mysteriously break and do the 'Kool-Aid Man' out the side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts