SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
First off no I havent had time to wire in the high beam solenoid. Its fairly easy, you just need that little circuit that I linked in one of the first few pages. Basically yes you can use the high beam power however from what Ive read it can fry the solenoid without the controller from the link.

So if I use the bi-xenon solenoid controllers from WolstenTech and connect the regular high beam wires to the controllers there shouldn't be any problems? I assume this circuit somehow releases the solenoid after it has switched to high or low (= doesn't burn it up by pushing or pulling continuously)?

The E46 projectors can be found but are rare for the UK markets, however I do know they exist because a few people on HIDplanet.com have found them. Supposedly they are better somehow although if you replace all the components like I did shouldnt make any difference other than possibly being setup for RHD if necessary.

I already ordered everything from Matt @ The Retrofit Source. Really nice service, highly recommended.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Matt at TRS is a great guy, some of the best customer service I have seen and very fair pricing http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Agreed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Re: (theshadow27)

Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »
You don't want that one, it uses an ultrasonic sensor to tell how far off the ground the front of the car is. Ultrasonic sensors suck... Even with redundant sensors (which it doesn't have) and laser range verification (which it doesn't have) and high speed digital noise reduction (which it probably doesn't have) that I use in my robots they are glitchey and are very sensitive to the reflective surface and tangential velocity. That's why Volvo uses mechanical sensors.

I never really thought this kit would perform like the factory one. Most likely it would suck, like you said. It's just that this kit would most likely make my aftermarket HIDs legal in the European Union (I need to get the official verification to be sure), because HIDs need automatic leveling, headlight washers and of course xenon optics/projectors to be legal in the EU.

Of course good automatic leveling would be nice to have too, but it might be a bit difficult to get... My Volvo dealer refused to sell me their automatic leveling kit, because it's against Volvo policy to sell the kit to a car without factory xenons. This is a very typical Volvo policy, and of course they always blame VADIS (can't be programmed). I guess I'll just manually adjust my HIDs and keep blinding people if necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts

If you step your shields to favor the passenger side over the drivers side oncoming traffic shouldnt be blinded by your lights. I dont have them stepped yet just aimed a bit lower and havent been flashed since I adjusted them. Used to every other night.

Yeah, it should be fine, especially when I don't even have the shield yet (gonna make it though). It's just the legal problem I don't like.

The auto level kit could probably be purchased in the states. Most wont ask what car its for or if it even has the feature. However if it does require some sort of SW or calibration via VIDA might be screwed.

Oh that's right, VIDA is the newer version. Installing front and rear sensors with the faster motors etc does require software updates from VIDA. According to my dealer, these changes can only be done to a car with factory xenons. Or it might just be the stupid policy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re:

I have my bi-xenon retrofit working now. Thanks for a great thread! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

High beam controllers seem to be working fine, nice output. I need to start working on my shield, although I think the output is already really good. Does the shield affect only the cutoff or does it make the output somehow better?

E46 projectors have a small notch for the lens. I didn't really remove it like you did, just squeezed it a bit. I might buy a dremel tool and work on that some more. I don't think I will see the output difference though.

P.S. I dropped one of the 3 torx screws inside the housing and lost it. Try avoiding this
I had to find a replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I think I'll play around with the shields when the weather gets warmer (outside is -10F). I think you can even use shields with the high beams if you don't curve them too much.

I bought the Wolstentech controllers and split the high beam wires for them, a very simple installation. My controller devices are just wrapped in duct tape and loose inside the housing. The controller devices are very lightweight and don't really move at all inside the housing. I just added some cable ties close to the devices.

If you get a normal torx screwdriver you'll be able to get all 3 screws loose and tightened again. You just have to use some force with the one next to the adjuster (bend it aside while screwing).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re:

I made my shields, but I don't really understand the results:

Why is there yellow in the middle?? Here's my shield:

My shields are working great with main beam solenoid controllers though:

Any suggestions why there's yellow in the middle? I didn't really get the nice cutoff color either

·
Registered
28 Posts

I noticed that screw but didn't really think about adjusting it. Thanks for the tip http://********************/smile/emthup.gif I might have to adjust the shield a bit more upwards too. I'm using ZKW-R clear lenses.

I guess I'll settle with a straight line for the cutoff. It's way easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I didn't notice any hot spots when using E46 projectors without the shields. It might be that they're just more obvious with the shields.

I don't think I can adjust my shields without removing the projectors

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Re: (theshadow27)

Quote, originally posted by theshadow27 »

I think Kyle adjusted the shields before he installed the projectors. That's what I would have done anyway...

Well, yes, that's what I did too
I just adjusted them too low. The plastic against those screws is quite soft, and I don't think it'll hold up if the projectors are taken apart too many times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.