SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
Hmmm. Well maybe ill throw one of the clear lenses in the stock projectors for you when i remove them and show what the difference will be from stock with the DDM kit http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Are they the same size? I think this would be crucial - there's very little difference between a dichromatic projector and a halogen projector other than the lens and the cutoff.

If you need help with the BOW shoot me a note.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Optics are a blast. Are the lenses acrylic or glass?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Where'd you get the lenses (ZKW-R)? I'd be willing to guinea pig a halogen-lens swap...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

I give you mad props for going the whole way, but without road following and auto leveling I can't justify doing a full swap for a better cutoff line - especially if it means loosing the 55 watters.

Now... if you could read the high speed CAN, get info from the SWM, and tie that into a set of servos; then integrate the front/rear stock BPS's into another set of servos, then I might reconsider

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (ForceFed Motorsports)

Okay. So our headlights are made by AL Lighting. E46 was AL and is bolt in, how bout these other guys?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »

Im downloading this site as we speak.

Good call! I got the two biggest ones done, but I have to run off to school:
http://theeshadow.com/carmod/J...n.htm
http://theeshadow.com/carmod/J...d.htm

The pictures are all on photobucket, which is good 'cause that might take awhile. I'll wget them when I have time. If you finish grabbing the source I'll host everything.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: D2S HID retrofit, E46 projectors, Matsu**** ... (ForceFed Motorsports)

If you get ahold of him offer to let me host it... I've got unlimited bandwidth/storage on my site. Silly blue host, offering me unlimited storage

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

You can't rivet the shield onto the flap?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: (sanatarium)

Lol I'll play. This is a rivet.

This is a projector

What we're riveting

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

If done correctly there is no advantage to running the HIDs off of a relay harness vs the stock PWM wires. I'd ditch the harness altogether, which kills two birds with one stone (bulb out warning and flickering).

If you end up keeping the relay harness, you can use a much smaller capacitor (470uF should work) and diode (1a is more than sufficient) since relays draw very little power. This won't get rid of the BOW though.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Agreed, if I can get the stock wiring to function correctly with these HID's Id be stoked.
I have a bunch of diodes (I ordered 10, used 2) left over, if you want I can rustle up a couple caps throw something together for around $20.

At this point I need to drill out the factory rivets to the factory lens holder since they arent screwed on like the E46 and see how the clear lenses emit the DDM kit with the stock projectors.

With a cut off shield might not look all that bad however the D2S bulbs look so sick

Super stoked to see how this compares. Stern rails on me every time we talk about HID retrofits, but has yet to explain the difference between the two projectors. I spent a fair amount of time in the technical side of theater, working with 1000-10k watt projectors every day. As far as I can tell, a projector is a projector - just an ellipsoidal reflector, a gate (i.e. "shield") and a lens. so long as the center of the bulb is in one of the ellipsoidal reflector's focal points and the shield is in the second, all is well, crisp, and sharp.

According to Volvo, "The [bi-xenon] projector unit differs from the halogen version. The reflector is a different shape. It has a variable diffuser and another design of lens."

That leads me to believe that the primary difference between the halogen and the xenon is the shield and the lens - the different reflector shape is only on account of the D2S vs H11. The H11's are (by default, there's no other type of automotive capsule made) rebased D2S bulbs, so theoretically their arc *should* be in correct focal point...

A better shield and lens will make a world of difference. Can't wait to see it http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

All in all I think the project should go smoothly once the PWM bs gets figured out
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=128714 http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: (theshadow27)

So I've been working with [email protected] and he has been extremely helpful and professional. They are really as awesome as Kyle said in the OP.

While the E46 projectors are probably better than ours, Matt recommend the FX-R projectors as the best on the market. Why settle for less than the best just because it's not bolt in?

So here's the plan. I got a defective FX-R from Matt to get accurate dimensions. The mounting requirements that I drew up are:

If I could get Kyle (or someone else with extra headlight bits lying about) to draw up the mounting points for the stockers (or E46 since they're the same) I can finish the above CAD into something that can be milled out via CNC, then Matt (or someone else if he doesn't want to) can offer bolt-in FX-R projectors.

Sooo... Anyone have decent measurement/drafting and an extra headlight? Mine are kindof tied up, might be a while before I have time to rip them apart.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slrising »
I have the lights, access to calipers for accurate measurements, drafting and CAD experience, but I'm not sure what measurements your looking for and no CAD software at the moment. If you could use my headlight pictures to describe what measurements your looking for, I'll do an oldschool pencil draft and scan it and upload here or email it to you. Let me know.

Sweet. PM sent.

Got my PWM solution from shadow today and looks very professional, thank you sir http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

My pleasure

Im curious though, with this PWM magic box if the relay harness I got thru TRS is even required, would be sweet to have all my factory wiring used AND be able to use my 35W setup... we shall see. Either way Ill be satisfied.

Like I said, 85% chance it works with the 35w with the stock wires, as they draw pretty close to 3 amps running and it's looking for 4 amps (see 55 vs 35 vs halogen shootout for more details). The relay harness should not be necessary in any case, the worse case scenario is having to use some 6.8ohm resistors in parallel with the whole shebang.

For the install, the most important part is getting a good ground. For your box, as long as the red wires connect to the CEM and the orange wires connect to the headlights it doesn't matter which is which, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which does which (the worst that happens is the left goes to the right and vice-versa).

Let us know how it goes, lookin forward to install with pics

Edited the above for clarity.

Modified by theshadow27 at 5:55 AM 11-7-2009

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Thanks, returned pm. BTW email's are in the profile if you click on the name.

Got glare? lol
I really hope that's pre-retrofit

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Re: (slrising)

Looking over the measurements for the stock projectors (thank you very much Scott http://********************/smile/emlove.gif) and the FX-R, it's not going to be straight forward to make a bolt-in adapter. The FX-R is much shorter and taller by almost 15mm.

I'll have to rip one of my lights apart to see if there's enough room in the halogen housing without the auto-leveling for the extra height. Also may need to move the assembly forward so the smaller lens is lined up with the shroud.

If it's looking better it'll get a new thread. Until then, Kyle has the right idea... Go with the AL E46's. Sorry for the threadjack

Modified by theshadow27 at 7:41 AM 11-9-2009

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

So wait. The moral of the story is you spent the morning drilling out two rivets? Where's the new shield?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Shields installed and PWM BOWE installed. On the 55W DDMs BOWE works like a champ being that I removed the DDM BOW resistors and still fired right off.

Next step is to verify that the 35W matsu****a ballasts still work on the stock wiring or at least on the relay harness.
Just for the record did you tap into the CEM or just wire it up with alligator clips?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Sweet. 35w time...

You get the shields mounted on the E46 yet? I have a feeling that you'd have to do some serious carving at the existing shield support to make the curved shield worth it, since the piece would block most of the light that would be cut off further away.

Edit: Looking at the pics, if you're confident in your Dremel abilities you can slice down following the stamping that should let you retain the factory bump stops and still let most of the light be cut off by the curve.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.