SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an 80-year-old guy in Phoenix that is having grief with his 73 164E.
He wants to get it reasonably operational so he can sell it as a car rather than a giveaway.
From his description it doesn't sound like a very serious problem but the shops he has taken it to have not demonstrated a lot of expertise. For example they told him he needed a new wiring harness, so I sent him a used one but it didn't seem to help the situation.
If any of you are in or near Phoenix, KNOW the D-jet system and would like to do a good deed for the community, e-mail me offlist and I'll put you in touch with the fellow.
I will offer an updated B18/B20 timing cover as an inducement.
E-mail me at: [username follows] gdowns [at] cableone [dot] net [nothing follows]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm the 80 year old guy and after spending the last $1000 (at a Volvo shop) on my 164e to no avail, I give up.
The car runs but barely. I drove it home from the last shop. It ran well when I bought it 3 yrs ago but the problems started when I cleaned the engine. Not knowing there is an extra set of points at the bottom of the distributer, my attempts to get it running right ( said points got wet) got me deeper in the whole. Still having the confidence of my younger years but far less ability now, I was determined to get running. After many new parts (fuel pump, relays, injectors, harness, etc) and 2 shops I should have quit many $ and a long time ago. I have spent more on parts and labor than I paid for the car.

I hate to donate the car for the $500 tax deduction as I'm sure it would be scrapped.
I will sell it for $1000, you pay shipping.

It has red leather, vinyl?, upholstry in great shape. The blue paint has a good shine with 2 bubbles on the trunk. All glass is good. The ac has a slow leak and the battery runs down after the car has set for awhile. Also a new radio not hooked up and a cruise control I added. There various odds and ends that need to be done. I have too busy whever the car was home trying to get it running to work on other things. It was a great old car even tho I only got to drive it a few months. Also the tires look brandnew.

I hope one of you guys that know d-jet can give it a good home.

Art Older but not much wiser

·
Registered
450 Posts
Art --

Can you describe what is happening when it is running? Does it start cold and run well until warm? Will it not run well at all temps?

Also, please list what has been replaced in the system. I presume you've checked obvious things like the MAP sensor and coolant temp sensor.

If it were a 72 or a manual, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm the 80 year old guy and after spending the last $1000 (at a Volvo shop) on my 164e to no avail, I give up.
The car runs but barely. I drove it home from the last shop. It ran well when I bought it 3 yrs ago but the problems started when I cleaned the engine. Not knowing there is an extra set of points at the bottom of the distributer, my attempts to get it running right ( said points got wet) got me deeper in the whole. Still having the confidence of my younger years but far less ability now, I was determined to get running. After many new parts (fuel pump, relays, injectors, harness, etc) and 2 shops I should have quit many $ and a long time ago. I have spent more on parts and labor than I paid for the car.
I will sell it for $1000, you pay shipping.
Art, don't give up on the old girl yet. Go over to TurboBricks and post your car's issues there; there's lots of experience there, and there are members in your area who could probably help you and/or find you a good shop in your area. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have given up, no more trying to repair.
So if nobody cares to invest $1000 in a good old car, that should be a easy fix for somebody who can handle d-jet, she goes to good will.

Do to health problems I still need to get rid of a 544, 70 fiat sedan and 3 Siatas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts