SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I replaced my wheel bearing recently (PITA) because I had a squeaking metallic noise from 0-10 mph and a humming around 60 MPH. The humming went away but I still get the noise and what feels like a shaky wheel and vibrations from my drivers side.

My question is does anybody have the part number for the cv joint? I jacked up my car and spun the wheel and I hear a clicking sound from the driver's side :facepalm: pretty sure its the axel assembly- any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Just throw a new axle in it, don't believe there are any joints available as a service item.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just to confirm I need this part (1)

http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/200...leid=1431537&diagram=F542050&diagramCallOut=1

Does it sound like an axle issue? The squeaking @ low speeds, an unsteady wheel and vibrations coming from the driver side & the clicking sound when its on jack stands and I rotate the wheel.

If it's only 300$ I can live with the car for another week and hopefully have it safe enough to comfortably drive lol

edit: anybody have experience with these companies?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Axle Assembly

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just to confirm I need this part (1)

http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/200...leid=1431537&diagram=F542050&diagramCallOut=1

Does it sound like an axle issue? The squeaking @ low speeds, an unsteady wheel and vibrations coming from the driver side & the clicking sound when its on jack stands and I rotate the wheel.

If it's only 300$ I can live with the car for another week and hopefully have it safe enough to comfortably drive lol

edit: anybody have experience with these companies?
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Axle Assembly
justa friendly advice, i see that you have an 05 S40 and you have lowering springs, because in 07 volvo started putting in upgraded axles to prevent vibrations due to acceleration in lowered cars. This is why i think you should buy the axle from the dealer, unless someone can confirm that aftermarket axles are upgraded as well...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
justa friendly advice, i see that you have an 05 S40 and you have lowering springs, because in 07 volvo started putting in upgraded axles to prevent vibrations due to acceleration in lowered cars. This is why i think you should buy the axle from the dealer, unless someone can confirm that aftermarket axles are upgraded as well...
I just went through the pain of having my Volvo shop replace my front Axles assembly. It cost me arms and legs but vibrations on acceleration are all gone.
It better hold-up together for quite some time!

There is no data I could find on aftermarket axles to suggest they won't have the same issue. On the other hand if you do the work yourself you can do this process 3 times before it cost you Volvo's part and labor cost!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just went through the pain of having my Volvo shop replace my front Axles assembly. It cost me arms and legs but vibrations on acceleration are all gone.
It better hold-up together for quite some time!

There is no data I could find on aftermarket axles to suggest they won't have the same issue. On the other hand if you do the work yourself you can do this process 3 times before it cost you Volvo's part and labor cost!
so did you use oem dealers part, or aftermarket part?
and how long ago did you replace this? hopefully vibration never comes back lol

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
OEM dealer parts... I did it just before going on some 3 weeks trip overseas so it is just brand new at this point. And yeah it better not get damage anytime soon.
One thing to consider about going the OEM route: The parts have a two year parts and labor warranty on them. It could be better for the cost but it's better than nothing.
I can see that if it is a flaw from the Axel the problem would comeback before two years end so I just be okay.

Parts:
36000550 > $480
36000559 > $530
Labor > $380

So $1390 Volvo insanity! oh well I still enjoy my car...

·
Registered
484 Posts
OEM dealer parts... I did it just before going on some 3 weeks trip overseas so it is just brand new at this point. And yeah it better not get damage anytime soon.
One thing to consider about going the OEM route: The parts have a two year parts and labor warranty on them. It could be better for the cost but it's better than nothing.
I can see that if it is a flaw from the Axel the problem would comeback before two years end so I just be okay.

Parts:
36000550 > $480
36000559 > $530
Labor > $380

So $1390 Volvo insanity! oh well I still enjoy my car...
woww so even if i do it myself its about $1000...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
woww so even if i do it myself its about $1000...
I know!!!
though you probably can find the parts for slightly less but it won't be half off.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh even if it breaks I can go through 3 of them before paying dealer price for a drive axle. I will be the guinea pig =(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts