SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people used for replacement CV boots? My inner boots have some hairline cracks in them. Not, ripped open yet. The PO replaced both outers. Strange the dealer didn't do the inners as well.

I see Rein, GKN, EMPI, and Volvo out there. But, Volvo is about $40, whereas the others are under $15.

Haven't replaced a boot since the 80s.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts

·
Registered
17,739 Posts
GKN

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Usually it's the inners that go... For whatever reason the inner are rubber and outer are like neoprene. I forget the reason behind this, but the neoprene is far more durable and generally won't fail before the rubber inner boot. Go with the GKN if it's same as OEM like others above say.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I find it`s the outer boot that fails first. The outer has a lot more movement ( turning of wheel ) than the inner. I have removed axles and replaced boots, the inner and outer were both rubber.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I find it`s the outer boot that fails first. The outer has a lot more movement ( turning of wheel ) than the inner. I have removed axles and replaced boots, the inner and outer were both rubber.
This could be why in my experience I see neoprene boots on the outside end, more durable for the movement and motion that it sees and also less affected by the heat generated from the brakes. My current S60 and also my previous P1 S40, it was the inside boot over the roller bearings that ripped and failed.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
GKN. Just did an inner boot on my dad’s wagon, the GKN boot seemed like high quality rubber, very substantial.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going with the GKN!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts