SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the timing belt job the other day with original Volvo parts from my favorite vendor FCP.While having the car up I can see that the boots are looking crusty and I don't like the looks of them.So,before they rupture,I decided to do a little research on the parts.I will not buy new axles.It is stupid to wait for a issue!! And these axles will last forever if they never crack and fling out all the grease over your ****.Plus the nasty mess you should clean up:( So I got involved in looking at the parts.Fcp sells these original Volvo parts for $35 each X4 =$140.Yikes!! Carid has kits with both boots and the clamps for like $22 per axle.They are aftermarket and made by Reins. I have heard of Reins before but have not used any of there parts.I have used aftermarket boots many times before when I had my tranny shop and never hade a comeback on any of them.I want to do this job before there is any issue. I retired and no longer have accounts with parts stores,so if go to a parts store like Napa I will have to pay NJ sales tax and I hate paying this no good state even a dime in tax.Has any of you guys used these boots before? do they fit right?Are there any issues with this Reins stuff?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
56 views and nobody has a recomandation on good replacements?99% of the time on anything,I go original parts.I just don't like spending $140 for originals when there are options out there.Does everybody just wait for the mess then buy axles?I did find out that Reins boots are not that great.Has anybody have an opinion on GKN boots?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Word around the internet seems the GKN variants are good quality. One guy has had them installed on his golf for about 6 years with no issues. I agree in that replacing the entire axle because of a torn boot is idiotic if there is no famous "clicking". I cant imagine paying 35 bux for a piece of rubber/plastic to hold grease in. I say go for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased a noname inner set for EUR 8, included everything.
After 5K miles: no issue; I hope it helps.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zoli..I am looking for results that have a lot more miles on them than that.I want something comparible to original but cheaper than $140 for 4boots.
Thanks anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts