SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced the RH CV axle support bearing? Need to replace my inner boot, and if I find any issues with the bearing, I thought I'd replace it. Have 166k on it. But, I don't have all the special Volvo tools.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cut it off with an angle grinder, heat up the new one, slip it on? Should be that easy, just make sure it's in the proper location.
Yeah, the brute force method is always an option for getting it off. But, once it's off, I'm committed to replacing it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Once it's apart you may as well replace it.

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
Looks like theres a special puller and drift that volvo uses.

I agree with Tony, cut it off just don't damage the mounting surface and do a heated install. Bake the bearing at 350 for half an hour it should then become a slip fit.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Volvo bearing is about $150. The Febest bearing is about $50. Probably a part number on the bearing from the original manufacturer. So, other options might be available once you get it out.

The drift to install it isn't much more than a pipe. Not clear how much of the axle you really need to drive the bearing over.

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
The Volvo bearing is about $150. The Febest bearing is about $50. Probably a part number on the bearing from the original manufacturer. So, other options might be available once you get it out.

The drift to install it isn't much more than a pipe. Not clear how much of the axle you really need to drive the bearing over.
My axles have a *** marked bearing. No pn or designation though. Got specs on that febest?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
My XC90 has the heavier extension for the axle, so it''s similar but not exactly the same. At 90k miles, the bearing spins freely, but feels like it's light on grease. The big axle with bearing, boots, new CV's is $150, and doesn't make sense to mess with. I've lost the grease in one of the boots (don't let it pull out too far!) and it's a big pain to clean up and repack.
The special tool is all about the length of the complete axle not fitting in a hydraulic press. If you have the axle dis-assembled, it should be possible to replace the bearing in a press.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts