SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven a few C70s on test drives and all have had some level of vibration during acceleration. Just wondering if that is normal or not? 2006 C70 I purchased has the same quality but it is a bit worse. I assumed that the CV was going, but, found out today during a visit to the mechanic that they were both replaced with aftermarket axles at some point. The CVs that are on the car look ok (boots are fine and no real play) but the mechanic indicated that many of the aftermarket axles are not properly balanced. I am having some work done and considering replacing the axles with OEM axles and I am trying to determine if the vibration will be eliminated or just improved. Thoughts?

Thanks as always for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had the same issue. I first used aftermarket. I did have some play when I grabbed it with my hand. After putting the oem axles in the vibration was gone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information! I am going with OEM axles. The vibration is a bit much with the axles used on the car. I will update this thread with my results as well in case others have the same issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I replaced both axles on our 2008 C70 with OEM and it helped a bit but some vibration still there. Biggest improvement was replacing driver's side engine mount. Next is an auto trans fluid change as I understand the box can also cause some vibration.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the both CVs with OEM and also did a drain and fill on the remand. Car is like new. Glad I made the change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I replaced both axles on our 2008 C70 with OEM and it helped a bit but some vibration still there. Biggest improvement was replacing driver's side engine mount. Next is an auto trans fluid change as I understand the box can also cause some vibration.
I used OEM half-axles when I had mine replaced (in both cases, torn boots led to premature wear of the CV joints), so I can't comment on whether after-market ones vibrate more.

But I agree with the above poster that you should also check that the engine mounts are OK. It has been a couple/few years, but I seem to think that it was the upper mount on the belt side that went south in my case. I seem to think that the symptoms included some clunking sounds when accelerating while turning.

I was almost due to have the timing belt replaced, and since it is necessary to remove and re-install the upper engine mount to replace the timing belt, I negotiated a "package deal" with my Volvo dealer. He billed me the normal price for the timing belt replacement (as well as accessory belts while at it), and then charged no labor for replacing that upper engine mount at the same time (just the part cost for the engine mount).

I got the impression that this upper engine mount is a fairly typical failure, as it was originally engineered for non-turbo I-5 engines, and is a bit over-stressed by the turbos.

(As a side comment - with some car brands it is usually advised to replace the water pump in the process of doing a timing belt change, as "preventive" maintenance. My Volvo service guy said that it wasn't worth doing He said that he sees very few water pump problems. Maybe replace the water pump at the second timing belt replacement.... He did check for any sign of water pump leaks, or play in the pulley, etc.)

One thing I kind of liked was that the service dept. slapped a big sticker on the belt cover, noting the mileage and date for the timing belt replacement, as "evidence" that it had been done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bought my car long distance and used a Bosch shop to inspect before purchase. Axle needed replacement. Didn't know the guy from Adam and he said he'd use $500 aftermarket if planning on keeping the car less than 5 years. Oem was $1000 but don't regret using them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used OEM half-axles when I had mine replaced (in both cases, torn boots led to premature wear of the CV joints), so I can't comment on whether after-market ones vibrate more.

But I agree with the above poster that you should also check that the engine mounts are OK. It has been a couple/few years, but I seem to think that it was the upper mount on the belt side that went south in my case. I seem to think that the symptoms included some clunking sounds when accelerating while turning.

I was almost due to have the timing belt replaced, and since it is necessary to remove and re-install the upper engine mount to replace the timing belt, I negotiated a "package deal" with my Volvo dealer. He billed me the normal price for the timing belt replacement (as well as accessory belts while at it), and then charged no labor for replacing that upper engine mount at the same time (just the part cost for the engine mount).

I got the impression that this upper engine mount is a fairly typical failure, as it was originally engineered for non-turbo I-5 engines, and is a bit over-stressed by the turbos.

(As a side comment - with some car brands it is usually advised to replace the water pump in the process of doing a timing belt change, as "preventive" maintenance. My Volvo service guy said that it wasn't worth doing He said that he sees very few water pump problems. Maybe replace the water pump at the second timing belt replacement.... He did check for any sign of water pump leaks, or play in the pulley, etc.)

One thing I kind of liked was that the service dept. slapped a big sticker on the belt cover, noting the mileage and date for the timing belt replacement, as "evidence" that it had been done.
I did have the top mount replaced as well. It was damaged (fluid was leaking).

I had used Lemon Squad for the check and they missed everything...not happy with them but very happy the car is working correctly now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts