SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been reading online about allot of people who cut the stock springs of their cars (not volvos) and they all claim that their ride has much better handling and lowers it nicely. has anyone here done that?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
No and never do such a thing... Think about hooke's law and what happens when you do that...

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure between of all the benefits you've been reading, there are more dis-advantages to not cut stock factory springs...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Drive down to the shady part of town, now look at those impalas and neons with the jacked up rims and paint, the ones wobbling around. Those cars have the springs cut and look like crap now. Don't cheap out your gonns mess up you suspension too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
I'm sure between of all the benefits you've been reading, there are more dis-advantages to not cut stock factory springs...
You hear about the success stories, you won't hear people posting about their stupidity and costly failures.

Plus, you'd have to remove an entire coil in the front to make everything line up. Taking off that much would mean that you'd need to replace your front struts.

The price you pay to have your springs properly cut (unless you're doing this on your own) and to have them re-installed, you'd be best just to buy used lowering springs in the first place. Keep your eye on classifieds, springs show up pretty often.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have never heard anyone who has cut stock springs in any car have any benefit from it other than looks. The springs are designed to work whole.

Save up and get yourself some eibachs or anything - it will still be better than cutting the stock ones.

Sent from the MAGI.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Drive down to the shady part of town, now look at those impalas and neons with the jacked up rims and paint, the ones wobbling around. Those cars have the springs cut and look like crap now. Don't cheap out your gonns mess up you suspension too.
Lol around where I live its the Honda's- they look funny bouncing around with cut springs

·
Registered
401 Posts
Do not cut them that is a very bad and unsafe idea. As stated you will need shorter dampers and if you go lower you really need more compression damping and/or better bump stops.

If you go too low you move the cars roll centre and you can actually end up with more body roll.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
lmao like every other post stated, DO NOT CUT THEM lol. theres no benefit besides looks, its unsafe and you will kill your struts. Buy a set of eibachs.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Their Bouncing as They Cut them to the Point that their Slammed , which way to Far .
Bouncing on the Chassis Bushings . They Hack them Touches or Dull Saber Saws - like a Kids Bike-cycle shop . LOL

Only Talented Shops or Persons should be doing it . Properly Measured , Properly Ground on both Ends etc.

Hot Rodders & Moder's have been doing that for 60 + yrs. , Manufactures might have been offering Springs for 30 yrs.

What I don't like is - Eibachs --- H & R say somewhere - that some Unevenness or Settling is expected - Settling I can see , but Unevenness ?

The Box should say : Matched Set of Springs
The Box should say : Matched set of Shocks
The Box should say : Matched & Blue Printed set of Injectors

Dusting 12 mm on each end of Spring - lol ( How is that going to Waste Your strut's ) ?
$ Saving around $200.00 - If Done Properly .

What I see is You'd be taking springs from say AWD and putting them on C30 or a lighter FWD S40 which is lighter to pick up some Spring
Rate 3540 lb Volvo vs the 3065-3200 lb Volvo .

The Advantage is mostly going to be Looks ( 1" ) some gain in Spring Rate.
Comfort & Ride should be unchanged . ;)

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
If anyone with a FWD would post up a Picture say ( 900 X 1200 ) 2-3 ft away of the Rear Springs , then I'll do the same for the AWD Springs to
Check for any Large Differences - other then Height ?

Supply Measurements also - Lets take a closer Look .

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
If anyone with a FWD would post up a Picture say ( 900 X 1200 ) 2-3 ft away of the Rear Springs , then I'll do the same for the AWD Springs to
Check for any Large Differences - other then Height ?

Supply Measurements also - Lets take a closer Look .
The stock springs? My stock FWD springs are in a chest upstairs, I can get a pic up tonight.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Just for Comparison and SS Members should also do a Comparison on Rear Shocks - FWD to AWD - so If anyone is at a Swap Meet etc. . . .
Plus the Design or Fitting Differences would be a little more clear .

I Looked all over for the 4 Corner Loading Weight Wise on these V50's - had it at one time - It's out there somewhere or maybe on My computer back up .

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
@EngTech, just going to let you know, you're PM box is full so I can't send you a message.

What was that whole thing about posting without sleep or coffee?

haha.... my bad, I attached the wrong picture in that PM, so I'll post here.

Here's the rear spring from the FWD

And the front

Stock Springs

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lol around where I live its the Honda's- they look funny bouncing around with cut springs
I have been runing a Honda Civic for 10 years with cut springs in the CASC Ice Race series. It really makes the car rotate suddenly when they bottom out. Good on the race track when you are ready to turn but dangerous on the street.

Get proper springs unless you are willing to gamble with your car.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
H&R spring comparison (1.4" drop)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts