SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Cutsom Exhaust backfire??

14K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  volvosRus 
#1 ·
I have a custom exhaust consisting of resonator delete and muffler delete of which I just replaced both with new pipe. Now my question is do any other R's experience a loud POP! or i guess you could call it a backfire during the shift at higher rpms? I noticed it the first test drive after and though it sounded really cool until someone brought up that this might be an issue with the car. The car runs fantastic and has had no problems. Sooooo is this just another cool feature of these cars or what? :D

#2 ·
Yea it's normal. It happens more when you go with a catless DP and get a nice flash of flame out the tail pipe :D

#3 ·
Yeah I heard they shoot flames when you take out the cat. Im thinking of doing that too, is it much louder inside the car than with the setup Ive got going on?

#5 ·
i sometimes get a backfire with the stock exhaust

#11 ·
+1 That was my experience when I first got my R.

The day I installed a full turboback exhaust on my R, I fired it up and it shot flames with pops lol. But I reset the ECU and went out to drive, within a mile or so the pops and flames stopped. Guess it takes time to adjust to it.

#6 ·
Did you expect it to be quiet? If you like it as loud as it is now I'm sure you won't mind taking the cat off.

#7 ·
Ive owned cars without the cat before but its usually very loud inside the vehicle but I feel like the sturdy engineering those swedes did keep it a bit quieter inside than most cars. ;)

#8 ·
Yeah they did. I feel like taking the cat off gives the exhaust a more raspy sound.

#9 ·
The only thing bad about no cat is the smell, especially if your stuck in traffic :D

#10 ·
Cat delete= fume smell that gets inside, but you do get nice flames. Go for it since you have experience. Pops are normal, mine sound like gunshots from time to time :D, gotta make sure I shift at 2k RPM so I don't do it in front of a cop... :eek:

#13 ·
I've got a K@N on there now the stock air box is so bulky. And IllestR I agree, I drive under a freeway bridge everyday to work and It sounds like someone just shot a gun! sometimes I think I scare the crap out of the people who are walking under there at that time.

#14 ·
You have a custom 3 inch with a muffler delete? Have you ever heard of the word hero? AND you want to delete the cat for more sound?! You sir are a savage and I approve of this madness! Not to mention you spelled the word custom like a numbskull. I approve of everything you have done on this forum thus far except posting pics of the beast.

#17 ·
I know sound clips never do the exhaust justice but I was thinking of putting a link on here for mine (i know im a loser). And i do have pics on my only other thread I started. its "First Volvo" nothing special basically stock but i LOVE it.

#21 ·
anyone have any videos with a go pro attached outside there car? I think it would be sweet to get an exhaust clip while driving!

#24 ·
This is one of my personal favourites. Watch in HD

#34 ·
lol did that car blow up?

#30 ·
Exhaust pops. You'll have to trust that the one at about five seconds in was large-caliber-rifle loud.

#39 ·
Custom will cost a ton more than my setup ($500+).

I spent $75 on the 2nd OEM exhaust. Then $80 on the muffler delete. Then about $3 at Menards on some extra nuts/bolts because the originals were toast that attach the cat-back to the DP.
So now I can be either nice and quiet or crazy awesome loud and it just takes 20-25 minutes to do the swap in my garage.

#41 ·
Hey so I was thinking more about the cat-delete and will it throw a code being there is an o2 sensor there and secondly will it affect the performance of the car if a code is thrown? (its been a while since ive peeked under there dont remember if the o2 is before or after the cat)

#42 ·
There is 2 sensors, 1 before and 1 after. It will throw a code if you have no o2 spacer (sometimes it will throw a code with one installed, different cars will act differently) and some people have said it will run lean if you have a stock tune with a DP with no cat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.