SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :) I hope you're all having a good sunday (or whatever day you read this thread) but anyways I installed my eibach springs on my awd s40 a week ago and the back wheel gap is still too big for my taste. I recall seeing a thread a while back where the guy cut the back eibach springs, and i cant find it again.. regardless I was wondering if this is safe for me to do, and if so, how much should I have cut off?
thanks, jc

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hello everyone :) I hope you're all having a good sunday (or whatever day you read this thread) but anyways I installed my eibach springs on my awd s40 a week ago and the back wheel gap is still too big for my taste. I recall seeing a thread a while back where the guy cut the back eibach springs, and i cant find it again.. regardless I was wondering if this is safe for me to do, and if so, how much should I have cut off?
thanks, jc
Safe but bouncy as hell and if it's on stock struts that's were problems start to pop up with comfort. But I always say beauty is pain so as long as it looks good I guess lol

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
You can cut the rears without risking your life. I cut the Evolve springs on my S40. I think it was ~1.8 of the tightly wound coils on the rear springs to level off the ride height.

Honestly did not feel any more bumpy, never had issues with my stock shocks even at 150k miles on them, and the only difference in handling was from having the center of gravity shifted back a little further.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
rumor has it the springs were cut in that Carrera GT Paul Walker burned up in.....just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
From a physics standpoint, removing coils on a spring does alter the characteristics of that spring.

But the tightly wound coils at the bottom of the spring literally sit on top of each other when the car is on the ground. Cut one off and you lower the car 10mm (or however thick your springs are). There is a lot of physics and science into springs, but those tight "dead coils" are really just spring spacers. The lowering springs I had were 10 coils all together, cut ~2 of those tight coils off and that left me with 8 coils. Now my H&R coilover rear springs have 7 coils. If you don't want to be sacrilegious and cut springs, just get coil over springs and you'll probably be happy with the end result

Is it safe? Meh... That'll be something disagreed upon on car forums for the rest of time. But so long as you're springs still remains safely seated and under compression even when the car is off the ground, you're not going to die.

·
Registered
135 Posts
From a physics standpoint, removing coils on a spring does alter the characteristics of that spring.

But the tightly wound coils at the bottom of the spring literally sit on top of each other when the car is on the ground. Cut one off and you lower the car 10mm (or however thick your springs are). There is a lot of physics and science into springs, but those tight "dead coils" are really just spring spacers. The lowering springs I had were 10 coils all together, cut ~2 of those tight coils off and that left me with 8 coils. Now my H&R coilover rear springs have 7 coils. If you don't want to be sacrilegious and cut springs, just get coil over springs and you'll probably be happy with the end result

Is it safe? Meh... That'll be something disagreed upon on car forums for the rest of time. But so long as you're springs still remains safely seated and under compression even when the car is off the ground, you're not going to die.
Mechanical eng. here. There is another important point about cutting coil. The mean of cutting can create a lot of heat which could meddle with the heat treating and properties of the spring steel. If you end up cutting them (which I don't endorse) you should use a method that will create as little heat as possible.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Recip Saw with the right blade and a lot of WD-40

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rumor has it the springs were cut in that Carrera GT Paul Walker burned up in.....just sayin'
so you're saying if I cut my springs, I will become paul walker?

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
so you're saying if I cut my springs, I will become paul walker?
:partywave:

There is another important point about cutting coil. The mean of cutting can create a lot of heat which could meddle with the heat treating and properties of the spring steel. If you end up cutting them (which I don't endorse) you should use a method that will create as little heat as possible.
^^^ This
But the tightly wound coils at the bottom of the spring literally sit on top of each other when the car is on the ground. Cut one off and you lower the car 10mm (or however thick your springs are). There is a lot of physics and science into springs, but those tight "dead coils" are really just spring spacers.
If they do in fact just sit on each other at ride height then the spring is a poor design IMHO. The whole point of the tight coils is for the car to ride in this low spring rate zone for small movements such as tar strips, cracks etc. As the suspension moves further these coils do in fact collapse on each other causing the the other higher rate portion to come into play. This gives you a soft ride during cruising while firming up during more sporting maneuvers or bottoming out on every road imperfection.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I never changed anything on my S40 suspension (not counting a strut replacement) but u did install IPD sport springs on my 745 and it wasn't low enough in the front so I cut half a coil from the top. I wouldn't do a whole coil at a time because if it's too low, you can't add it back. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts