SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made their own ic piping to tb pipe. I'm thinking maybe a 3 in to 2.5 in 90 degreed coupler to a longer section of 2.5in piping over to where my ic piping comes from the front. I already have the iat/ bps sensor bung welded on the earlier piping. But obviously I would have to have a nipple welded on for the vac line that runs out of the throttle pipe. Just curious to see what everyone has done. I don't feel like spending 225 from snabb on one pipe. Just seeing if anyone has done it.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is not my car but where the blue ipd coupler ends is where my piping ends. And I'm wondering if a straight piece of piping would reach over there instead of having the curve because I cannot find a piece of piping with that curve in it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check with Snabb, I bet they could help you
Yea talked to kristen they want 225 for it and I am wanting to make one and maybe save a bit. If I must I will go that route.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hrm... bizarre thoughts come into my head when I think about shortening the OTE pipe. Its length causes it to shed heat, and the aluminum/oval nature helps that even more. It makes the core of the pipe smaller while still allowing it to flow, and increases surface contact with the aluminum.

That said, shortening the pipe might lessen the lag between throttle input and go. Hard to predict.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already have had this fmic setup for a while now. Originally just used the oem throttle pipe and joined the two. Now I have a leak coming front the plastic pipe and it's time for a solution. So even though it is a good idea for some to re- route this piping I will not be because the rest is already done.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hrm... bizarre thoughts come into my head when I think about shortening the OTE pipe. Its length causes it to shed heat, and the aluminum/oval nature helps that even more. It makes the core of the pipe smaller while still allowing it to flow, and increases surface contact with the aluminum.

That said, shortening the pipe might lessen the lag between throttle input and go. Hard to predict.
Decreasing the volume of air the turbo has to fill before the throttle body increases "throttle response" and gets you into boost sooner.

I did exactly this on another one of my turbo cars, turbo "spool" was felt at 500-800 rpm sooner.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The size of your turbo plumbing will only effect lag, and minimally, and by lag I mean the time from when you open the throttle to the point boost builds. It will not change your boost/rpm curve though, if you start making boost at 2K rpm, you will still make boost at 2K rpm, but the turbo may spool faster which is what you are feeling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts