SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...fed up with peeling rims from Wheel Collision Center (and them not caring about the thousands that I have spent with them), I decided to go with another refinishing company that I have had success with. Alloy Wheel Repair did an amazing job at dealing with me, and throwing some good suggestions my way. I ultimately ended up still going with a machined face (per my request), but they stripped them, left the inside bare (they are milled/machined on the inside face from the factory, but painted over), and painted the windows and "R" TiGray. The "clear" is actually a satin finish and not glossy, so it's a nice play on different textures, and the rim looks different from all angles.

I :heart: 17's!!!

vs. the old (stripped, painted TiGray, machined, tinted clear)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Damn you lol. Making me miss my pegs haha. You sir, make a good job at making 17s look good on R cars. ;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you sirs. I'll probably be taking some better photos with a real camera within a week (not a cell phone camera with a scratched lens... :rolleyes:). They turned out very nice, as expected :D The ride on the 17's is SO much more appropriate for my suspension as well.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Alloy Wheel Repair is a good company. There's a guy that comes around to my job and fixes up a few wheels a week. Always a good job. They look great!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same crappy cell phone, but a new replacement... :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nicely done! I like the idea of keeping the pegs, but modifying them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Love them. I should get this done to my 18" anthracite pegs. Ballpark on cost?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Having admired your work on a couple of these sets in the past, how does the machined face hold up? I'm assuming it's painted with some sort of clear coat to protect it from etching/corrosion?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yeah I am curious how easy they are to clean as the texture looks rough and therefore could make cleaning a lot more difficult. That is why I chose gloss on my new pegs at the last minute.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah, looks great. If you could supply a contact name and number as well as an appriximate cost per wheel inthis thread it would help others who may want to pursue this route.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Wow Adam! Taking the idea to the next level ;) I would redo this again if I ever get my hands on 19" peg reps, but I doubt I'll ever go back to pegs again.

That's amazing work, I wonder what machine he used to get that ridgid milled pattern. Looks great, and I like the idea to use a satin clear coat.

Oh and for you newbs, here was Part Deux

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?148659-Machined-Pegs-Part-Deux

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Looks great - makes me wonder if anyone does a ceramic satin clear coat on wheels(?)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He probably just used a turning lathe.

There is a clear spray over the entire rim, so the ridges are not felt as texture. The clear has a slight satin quality to it, so not super smooth, but I sprayed them with the Armorall wheel protection spray. Not sure how they'll clean up just yet :D

Cost will run anywhere from $140-$200/rim. Contact your local Alloy wheel repair. If they have any questions, just let me know and I can get you more specific contact info (they all operate individually).

The rims in the past had held up fine, but my last set (ala Wheel Collision Center) started to have the clear peel off, and they weren't taking the stance I felt they should as far as warrantying them, so I took my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I contacted my local alloy wheel repair, and they were absolutely no help. I first sent them an email request for an estimate with a link to this thread, and never got a response. I then called and left a detailed message and got a call back saying, you called me.

So I am ready for a contact name and phone number...If I have to send them, or even go up for a day or two, I will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts