SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't really use GPS that much but it does come in handy for lots of little things. Usually we just hook it up for the long trips since it let's us know how much longer we have to go so we can let people know when we'll be there. Plus, finding food and restrooms for the kids. After we test drove an XC60, the one feature my wife loved the most was the reverse camera. I really didn't want to install one of those cheap reverse kits with those small lcds, etc.

Finally garmin released the Nuvi 5000. A big 5.3" widescreen GPS with a video input. It's basically the same as many other nuvis. It's one shortcoming is that it doesn't include a battery, but that doesn't really apply to me since I'd be hard wiring it. As a plus, it shows what the current speed limits are and it's pretty accurate. I also purchased an audivox wide angle camera for the tailgate that works really nice. I mounted it just offcenter on the license plate holder so that we can still easily grab the handle to open the back. I just didn't like all the cables cluttering up the dash. I know integration and factory looks is one reason lots of people just pay the absurd price to get oem nav.

I finally found a Volvo OEM navigation pod from a junked XC90 for really cheap. Even after purchasing a new grill for our XC90 with the center opening and some odds and ends, it basically cost about the same as what volvo charges for that "OEM" garmin mount they sell (and that only works with special garmin models, none of which offer a video input).

I gutted the OEM pod down to just it's shell and motor. Added some of my own limit switches and now I've got 12v up/down. Had to hack up the Garmin windshield mount to get everything to fit inside the pod. Only thing I had to do to the nuvi 5000 itself was to remove the front trim ring. I then made up my own new trim ring from some black plastic. I made a small hole on the front of the pod for the nuvi 5000s light sensor which still works great.

Here are some pics of the unit inside the car and showing the backup camera.

Homerun! Wife loves it.

Modified by pattyweb at 7:53 PM 10-19-2009

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: Custom Garmin install in XC90 OEM navigation pod (pattyweb)

Nice work. Kudos on the OEM custom fitment work.

Not sure why women love reverse cameras, but I just finised putting a rev cam in my wifes car and got the same response... she loves it.

·
Registered
90 Posts

You're killin me. What I wouldn't give to have my $$ back for the boat anchor that is the factory gps. What a pos.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

Very nice. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey... Very very nice... I would very much like to see some more pictures of the build,
as I came up with the exact same ideer, (sorry but it is true)... Do you have som more pictures of the pod and, what you did to the navi ?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Custom Garmin install in XC90 OEM navigation pod (ss60)

Quote, originally posted by ss60 »
Nice work. Kudos on the OEM custom fitment work.
Not sure why women love reverse cameras, but I just finised putting a rev cam in my wifes car and got the same response... she loves it.

Thanks! I had a scare that I wasn't going to be able to make everything fit. Now that we've had it installed for awhile, I have to say, I love the camera too. And not just because I can now back up to the boat trailer in one try. It's just really really nice and comforting to be able to see everything behind us when backing up.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (LazyBoy_DK)

Quote, originally posted by LazyBoy_DK »
Hey... Very very nice... I would very much like to see some more pictures of the build,
as I came up with the exact same ideer, (sorry but it is true)... Do you have som more pictures of the pod and, what you did to the navi ?

I didn't take any pictures during the "assembly" phase.

The pod itself is very easy to disassemble. You won't be able to use any of it's electronics (at least not without getting into complex electronics). I gutted it down completely to just it's frame, shell, and the motor/gearing. It's just a small 9v motor. The gearing is such that even if you keep running the motor in either direction, none of the gears strip. The up/down sliding mechanism uses up about 1/4" of the pod thickness and it's the whole back of the pod.

If you don't want/need a reverse camera, then I would look into some of the newer nuvis that you can just plug directly into from the bottom without needing a mount and thus I would think that there would be plenty of space. I really wanted the reverse camera and the Nuvi 5000 was my only option. And it requires the windshield mount. And the windshield mount added too much thickness. I had to disassemble and modify the mount heavily to get it to fit. I also disassembled the nuvi 5000 unit, but only to remove it's front trim ring. I can restore the nuvi back to what it was if I wanted to move it to another car. I would just need to purchase another windshield mount as those changes are not reverseable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Another install

Glad to find this post. Did something similar and did take some pics; except for times when it got too late at night
. Plan initially was to use an old pod and put in the nuvi 785t, like the volvo aftermarket unit. But when looking on ebay, was lucky to find a nuvi 5000 for 30$.

Saw the video input avlbl, so decided to add the b/u camera and decided to put in the bluetooth while the a-pillar trim was open; the motorola t605 kit is very cheap these days. U can also stream music through it if you connect the output to the power section of the amp directly instead of using the volvo harness. So my original 6 hour project eventually took 2 weeks; mostly to get parts as I added things.

Some suggestions

1. Use a gps antenna. I am not sure if Pattysweb did that or not, I did not get any signal with the nuvi inside the pod. Antenna can be mounted in the back under the plastic part of the roof.

2. The nuvi mount has to be completely destroyed. I had to take off all connectors to make it fit, and soldered the required wiring to the board

3. Left a 2GB SD card in the unit and preserved the usb connection - just pulled the cable through to the glove box and I can update maps/firmware as well as deposit music, audiobooks etc on the SD card as needed.

4. FM modulator gives a very feeble sound from the nuvi - primarily because the antenna on the xc90 is in the back. So if you intend on using it - you may have to run another cable or so.

5. Watch and tape down all wires securely. I got my backup camera caught in one of the trim hooks in the a-pillar and it got pinched. Took me several hours to troubleshoot and get back on track.

Some pics below ---

The original pod with guts removed

View of the motor

Nuvi inside the pod - had to remove the front bezel and later cover it with plastic trim

Wired the video cable/USB and power

For lifting/closing the pod - I used a remote switch - easily available on ebay and added a couple of relays. Recently saw one that has the full functionality of reversing a motor for only 24$. The remote worked out nicely and I did not have to modify anything on the dash to place the switch. I tied the remote to the visor safely. Also my nuvi had the light sensor on the back; so I made a hole in the back of the pod - through the steel mount etc to get the automatic dimming. It works very well - especially when driving into the sun - the screen gets really bright and is visible even in direct sunlight.

Up/down controller connected

Backup camera mounted to one side - had to make a slight hole in the license plate bulb cover to pull in the wire. Used the trailer connector to power it - blue and black on the trailer connector are for reverse power.

Everything in the belly of the beast - ordered the dash cover and mounting bracket online; but just saw y'day that my dealer is also offering 10% off on parts; so could have got this there.

Closed up & ready to go

The BT controller

And my favorite - wife collected everything at the end of one weekend neatly into a basket!!

Cheers

Modified by vatsil at 5:56 AM 3-12-2010

Modified by vatsil at 6:00 AM 3-12-2010

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Another install (vatsil)

Great job! I have added this thread to our Car Audio/Video FAQ!

Love that last picture, my wife has been know to do that, too, if I leave something on the kitchen table too long!

·
Registered
386 Posts

I am envious of both of you guys for being able to do this. My wife just had to have the back up camera added on my 2010 XC-90 even though it has the back up sensors.

The problem is, that by the time the screen comes up to view you have already backed up and are now putting the shifter in Drive to move forward. It takes too long for the screen to come up . I like your idea of having a switch to keep the screen up.

Nice job guys.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Re: Another install (240_XC90)

An Oldie but Goodie. No matter the age of this post,
That is Frickin' Cool! Niiiiice Job...
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote, originally posted by vatsil »
Did something similar and did take some pics;

Awesome job!! Seeing your pics brings back memories.

Quote, originally posted by vatsil »

1. Use a gps antenna. I am not sure if Pattysweb did that or not, I did not get any signal with the nuvi inside the pod. Antenna can be mounted in the back under the plastic part of the roof.

Interesting. I don't have an external antenna. I was worried I was going to need one. But we test drove it for a week and it worked great finding itself quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Another install (pattyweb)

Great job to both of you! I'm interested in doing this also and would be interested in part numbers and any other part sources (limit switches etc) you used.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Another install (Audi-phile)

Quote, originally posted by Audi-phile »
Great job to both of you! I'm interested in doing this also and would be interested in part numbers and any other part sources (limit switches etc) you used.

First, you have some serious decision making to do that depends on how comfortable you are with your dismantling, reassembling, and soldering skills and if you want a reverse camera or not. I think the Nuvi 5000 is still the only garmin unit with a video input (and not for sale anymore so you'll need to find used) but you'll need to double check on that. I do remember another manufacturer, magallen I think, that came out with a big screen unit with a video input but I have no idea on if it will fit or not. If you don't care about reverse camera, then you should have a much easier job as there are thinner units that should hopefully fit easily without needing modifications.

You'll need to locate a used volvo navigation pod. These show up on ebay from time to time.

I don't have any part numbers. I got my limit switches, relays, etc from a surplus store parts bin. You'll have three options regarding the up/down.

1) Leave it alone and it's just always up
2) Wire a simple momentary two way switch to the motor and you'll have up/down as long as you hold the button in either direction down until it reaches it's limit.
3) Use limit switches and a double throw relay so that you don't need to keep pushing a switch, you can just toggle it.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone

Are there any better instructions on what type of cable should go were etc.?

Best regards Patrik from Sweden

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hi,

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time! I have a unit retrieved from the salvage too, but I have no wire harness or anything; reading your post you guys mention connecting a momentary switch (which i will do) but what wires should we use?

Photobucket

I have not decided what nav to use or if I just want to run a screen with input options (garmin makes a GPS box with video out options and remote). Any suggestions as to what 'screens/monitor' will fit in there? Important part is to get motor working correctly, aside from that, just picking correct gps/monitor/fitment will come later.

Thanks,
Keoni.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time! I have a unit retrieved from the salvage too, but I have no wire harness or anything; reading your post you guys mention connecting a momentary switch (which i will do) but what wires should we use?
As far as I know, you can't really make use of any of the electronics that are already inside. They require and expect signals/codes from other components in order to work. There are no outside wires or pins that you can connect to to make it go up or down. I don't think you can make use of that garmin box using the lcd already in there. You'd need to replace it with a generic lcd with video or rgb input.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
As far as I know, you can't really make use of any of the electronics that are already inside. They require and expect signals/codes from other components in order to work. There are no outside wires or pins that you can connect to to make it go up or down. I don't think you can make use of that garmin box using the lcd already in there. You'd need to replace it with a generic lcd with video or rgb input.
I'm more concerned about getting the unit to power up and motor up and down, the monitor itself I'm not as concerned about as I'll be taking it out and replacing it with someone thing else. How did you get the 12v setup for up and down motion??

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Keoni.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did you get the 12v setup for up and down motion??
There is no "powering up" the unit. You can simply drive the motor up or down. You essentially have to gut the unit down to JUST the motor. At this point, it's basic 12v wiring (and reversing polarity to the motor) to get it to go up and down. And optionally some NO/NC switches to automatically stop powering the motor when it reaches it's limits.

Try this link for starters: http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3A-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
There is no "powering up" the unit. You can simply drive the motor up or down. You essentially have to gut the unit down to JUST the motor. At this point, it's basic 12v wiring (and reversing polarity to the motor) to get it to go up and down. And optionally some NO/NC switches to automatically stop powering the motor when it reaches it's limits.

Try this link for starters: http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3A-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/
Okay, went to that site, makes sense and pretty basic - where did you get a plug/adapter to plug into the NAV/LCD motor unit? Or did you just take it apart and hard wired it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts