SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I rarely post here in swedespeed, I am pretty good at lurking and searching and soaking up information here from behind the scenes… This site has been invaluable to me in many ways, so I figured I would send my appreciation by taking some time and share a project I just completed..

Since I have owned the car, one of the few mods I've wanted to do was to add a simple and subtle front lip… However I quickly realized that owning a "rare" vehicle such as the VR results in very little aftermarket support… I am not completely sold on the front lip available at Vida, and I'm also not a huge fan of the winglets, so that left me with few options…

Lucky for me, one of my buddies happened to have a front lip from a Seat Cupra R that he didn't want (this is apparently a common lip for VW owners, but not for his Audi)… just out of curiosity, I decided to see how it lined up with the R… Perfect fit, right?...Wrong!! It was quite a bit too narrow for the R… But my idea light bulb had already gone off in my head, and once that happens I am rarely detered...so I offered him a small payment and the lip became mine…

Here is my take on how to modify a SEAT Cupra R lip to fit the R in a few basic steps (if you have any further or more detailed questions, I will be happy to answer)…

What you will need:
Sheet of 1/8" ABS plastic
Means to cut this plastic (dremel, saw, really sharp blade etc)
A few bolts
A piece of trim moulding (or something similar)
A plastic welder (or a really nice solder gun)
Heat gun
Satin or matte vinyl (optional)
A paint mask
Patience, time, and more patience

Step #1 Cut the lip in the center…

You will also have to cut the center posts a bit to follow the natural contours of the R bumper..

Step #2 Tape or temporarily affix the Lip to the bumper to see how much material needs to be added in the center

Step #3 - take a piece of moulding (or something similar) and sand it until it follows the contour of the front lip

Step #4 - Bolt the moulding to the lip itself to create the proper sized lip

Step #5 - cut the ABS plastic sheet to the same width as the missing section and using a heat gun, slowly mold the plastic to the same shape as the lip.

Step #7 - Begin plastic welding this together… I used a nice Weller Solder Gun with a flat tip...this will take awhile, make sure you melt it get to the plastics will completely fuse and get a good bite. I would also suggest a paint mask and good ventilation, there will be a lot of plastic fumes

You can see above that it is strong, holds its own weight just fine without cracking...I added extra plastic to the back to make it even more structurally sound..

Step #8 - Once you are happy and feel the lip is solidly joined, it's time to sand (this will also take awhile)… Continue sanding until it is smooth.

Step #9 - Now you are almost done... But you will notice the sanded area looks completely different than the rest... You can choose to paint the lip if you like, however I chose to wrap just the middle section with a matte black vinyl, which happens to match the lip color and sheen perfectly..

Step #10 - The final step... attach it to the car!! (I used rivets to attach it…)

Step #11 - Now stand back, enjoy beer, and admire your work...

Overall it was quite a bit or work, but I am very happy with the outcome…I already had all the tools I needed so all it cost me was a little bit for the sheet plastic and for the lip (you can buy the lip new for about $100)… It looks factory and is very subtle, which I exactly what I was looking for… Hope you guys enjoyed.

Jody

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Nice write up, great pix. Thanks for sharing. This is subtle but seriously good looking.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Looks great! Excellent job, only concern there is the use of wood. Since the lip would be exposed to the elements, wouldn't the wood get wet? I didn't see you mentioning about sealing the wood/waterproofing. If it's exposed, water would get in and start expanding the wood causing it to loose it's shape.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i think he just used the wood to get the abs plastic to form. IE used it as a mold. No wood in final product if my eyes are correct.

·
Registered
594 Posts
nice job!

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Looks great! Excellent job, only concern there is the use of wood. Since the lip would be exposed to the elements, wouldn't the wood get wet? I didn't see you mentioning about sealing the wood/waterproofing. If it's exposed, water would get in and start expanding the wood causing it to loose it's shape.
;)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Excellent idea, craftsmenship and posting.:beer::cool:

·
Registered
172 Posts
It does look good. No interest in others I've seen but that is sleek looking. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Seriously well done and very tasteful. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

How many actual hrs or work would you guess you had to put into it?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The end product looks good and your craftsman ship is good too. The look is a little subtle for my taste but I also enjoy the DIY experience.

Thanks for sharing!

·
6,444 Posts
oh wow that is VERY NICE! great job!

I was thinking of fabricating something similar to put under my winglets...sort of a splitter perhaps.

but anyhow, I suggest you take a mold of that thing, reproduce it and sell it! I'm sure for say $200 a pop these things would sell like crazy!

...of course though, i'm sure it's not really aerodynamic and perhaps the wind noise is incrased with those...but who cares - they look great! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gorgeous. Also, that grille emblem replacement is awesome whatever it is.
Haha.. Thanks! It's a sticker based off the Japanese domokun (domo) character... Most all of my car friends rock this little guy somewhere on their cars - there is meaning behind the sticker, but its a long story :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seriously well done and very tasteful. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

How many actual hrs or work would you guess you had to put into it?
If I had to tabulate it all up, I would probably say 15 to 20 hours or so (but I am very particular so I may have spent more time on certain steps than I needed)... Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts